Marine intermediate shaft bearing.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FF

Guru
While some folks have intermediate bearings that require the shaft to be removed to swop them out, a work boat usually will demand* a better option.

www.craftbearng.com

This is one source of a marine bearing that can be replaced without removal.

Sure its a couple of bucks extra compared to the Ace hardware version , but the ability to service it yourself , in mere minuets?

Priceless!

1 7/16 shaft size and on up,

tho another company has them in smaller sizes , we used 1 3/8 on our 90/90.

http://www.cooperbearings.com/

-- Edited by FF on Thursday 28th of April 2011 05:48:39 AM

www.craftbearing.com* works

When the roller bearing cage fell apart on my Dodge intermediate bearing, I went shopping for a split bearing like the Craft Bearing.* The advantages seemed to outweight the added expense.

I don't remember whose brand I purchased, but*after installation, there was just too much heat produced due to a longer surface contact area.* May just be due to my installation situation.

Was able to return it, then bought a replacement Dodge roller bearing.**Runs cool, but yes - must remove the shaft if it fails.* It took 25 years for the first one to fail.

-- Edited by Jay N on Thursday 28th of April 2011 08:14:42 PM

"but after installation, there was just too much heat produced due to a longer surface contact area. "

The shaft is supposed to spin in the units roller bearings , not inside the outer shell.

There is usually a set screw to fix the inner bearing race to the shaft.

The units are sealed , so there might be extra heat from the seals , but those are greased in instalation.

Probably a different split shaft design.

Will revisit in 12 more years.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom