lugger 6414d

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dave w

anyone have experience with this engine, looking at an older 46 Nordhavn

your6414d is a six cyl,6.8 ltr. john Deere diesel engine, well marinized by lugger.

those engine are real well proven, at sea over many years.

mated with a zf,w 220 marinegear (Deep red.ratio.), its an exellent propulsion unit.

tbo

I'm looking at a 1990 46 nordhavn with 11,000 plus hours seems to me it should be about Time for a rebuild, boats been maintained well mechanically and actual just finished a circumnavigation but that's a lot of hours. I had Detroit 671n's in one of my other boats and some said they could go 20,000 if well maintained. Just looking for some kind of history with the luger.

Dave

If properly maintained, that engine will last for a few more thousand hours, possibly making it to 15k. A good survey will yield a lot as current state. Do not run it to destruction as these engines can be rebuilt providing another lifetime of service.

If one cares to a new coolant circulating pump would be wise as these keel cooled units require good flow given the length of piping runs. Presumably you have access to the maintenance logs, that will give a good indication as to prior care.

The hang ons like alternator, hydraulic pumps, hoses, fuel pump etc should all be suspect and have likely been replaced a time or two.

How about the genset and get home? Those too have similar needs and questions.

The 46, like most Ns, is one of the few vessels out there that spending money on an oldie is a "good boat investment" IMHO. Maybe a newer 46 with say 1/2 the hours is worth considering too to avoid the question you've posed.

Gen set is original northern lights, get home is new Kubota, I'm handy enough with smaller diesels that I can take care of matinence and even a rebuild if I had to, I might look into rebuilding the lugger in the boat but its tight and I probably couldn't get the crank out. Not loking forward to pulling the motor but I haven't heard it run yet and I guess a survey will tell

Dave

Call PAE at Dana Point, likely they can provide you with step by step engine removal procedures.

hot idle oil pressure, oil assay and compression test will give some clues about condition. If they were fine I would run it unless you are planning another circumnavigation

Unless the PO abused that engine, it may go another 10,000 hours. But to know more definitively, do a blowby test which evaluates the condition of the piston rings and cylinders by measuring the exhaust gas flow that blows by the rings.

Even if high, that engine can be rebuilt in place. It has wet cylinder liners. The core engine at 6.8 liters and 1,500 lbs to produce 145 hp is what the guys on boatdiesel call "big iron". The crank has 7 bearings and with that beef I would doubt that the crankshaft is worn. At best roll in new bearing shells in place.

A data sheet is attached for that engine.

David

Attachments

• Lugger 4144d data sheet.pdf
    391.5 KB · Views: 159
If you talk to the guys that built that engine they'll tell you it's just getting broken in.

Spell check via iPhone.

If you talk to the guys that built that engine they'll tell you it's just getting broken in.

Spell check via iPhone.

What he said ^^^^^

Have a good mechanic check it out per djmarchand suggestions, but if all checks out I wouldn't worry at all about the hours.

Without further information regarding maintenance history on that particular motor, the number of hours you report brings me no concern. You probably have seen maintenance records, as well as the condition of everything else on the boat, to give you a sense of the type of care that was provided.

If what you see justifies a survey, I speculate the Lugger technicians will tell you that more like 30,000 hours could be expected from this engine prior to a rebuild.

I recommend you contact Bob Senter at R. L. Senter Consulting and Training for additional background on this engine.

Good Luck

Jeff

I would, given proper oilchainge, at least another 5000 hours, perhaps as much as 10000 before major overhaul - they are built to take it. Many of these are in stationary generators w. way over 50000 hrs and still going strong.

If you want details, call Northern Lights/Lugger @ 206-782-5455. I have been in there several times and they are pretty good folks. I am sure they will be happy to give you all the info you could ever want.

I understand this engine uses the John Deere block. Correct? Any issues in finding the marinization parts for the Lugger?

I'm looking at a 1990 46 nordhavn with 11,000 plus hours

Dave

A 26 year old diesel that has spent its entire life ingesting air from a salt water environment is exactly that, old. That does not mean it doesn't have some years left in it, it just means you are right to ask the question.

You know the history of Luggers, Alaska fishing fleets and marinizing John Deere as well as other engine brands yada yada. Lugger (owned by Northern Lights) has rebuild kits for their engines that for the 400 cid NA can be bought for probably 4 boat bucks.

With your skills and knowledge a rebuild when required would be straightforward. Me, I'd be more concerned about the other boat systems being reliable than fretting too much about the great NA engine. Expensive things like the dry stack exhaust, stern tube, fuel tanks, anchoring system, dinghy, updating the electronics or new appliances may well require some time and money.

If you've not done it, read the logs or book about the N46 Egret. Great writeup of worldwide travels on this seaworthy and iconic vessel. To me, most impressive was the Nordhavn support. No other boat builder can match it. Good luck on your pursuit.

"I understand this engine uses the John Deere block."

It is my understanding that many "JD" base engines are marinizations of Japanese earth mover engines.

Same with Northern Lights.

KOMATSU.

Last edited:
Luggers are marinized JD or Komatsu in the size ranges we are talking about. I don't think and go from Komatsu to Deere to lugger

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom