Old 01-05-2019, 12:12 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Melbourne
Vessel Name: Osprey
Vessel Model: 40' Blue Sea Flybridge Cruiser
Looking for info on a Ford Lees 120hp

Hi Members,
I’ve purchased a new boat with a 120hp Ford Lees and I’m finding in difficult to get information about it. There are a few of these engines getting about and they were Marineised in New Zealand. I’d really like to get a workshop Manual for it and also know where I could source parts in Australia. Can anyone advise if it is the same base engine as the 120hp Ford Lehman and just different marinisation?
Just want to set up with spares and make sure I can keep her in good nick.

Thanks in advance
Jason
Jason Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 12:35 AM   #2
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Welcome aboard Jason, fairly sure it`s the same base engine,the Ford Dorset. Used in tractors,some trucks, stationary applications, etc. I have twin FL 120s, reliable agricultural beasts. Tractor companies have the Ford parts,eg Wagga Wagga Tractor, NSW. Recently bought a Spanish made head gasket online from UK,but didn`t need it.
I `ve no lead on Lees marinization parts.Try ebay,you might find something. Blue Seas are from Taiwan,so the NZ connection is interesting.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 01:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Welcome aboard Jason, fairly sure it`s the same base engine,the Ford Dorset. Used in tractors,some trucks, stationary applications, etc. I have twin FL 120s, reliable agricultural beasts. Tractor companies have the Ford parts,eg Wagga Wagga Tractor, NSW. Recently bought a Spanish made head gasket online from UK,but didn`t need it.
I `ve no lead on Lees marinization parts.Try ebay,you might find something. Blue Seas are from Taiwan,so the NZ connection is interesting.
Thanks, yes I thought the NZ connection was interesting also. The company is still running but don’t look like the run with Fords anymore. The survey suggests its a model 6115...
Happy it’s a relatively common donk as my last boat had a Nissan 150hp and it was a bit of a pain..
Old 01-05-2019, 01:04 AM   #4

City: Lanoka Harbor
Vessel Name: Sea Star
Vessel Model: 1987 MT sundeck
American Diesel. Original owner marinized the Lehman for the Marine Trader trawlers. He has passed, but his knowledgeable son, Brian,( i think) now answere ALL questions about the Lehman’s
Also, his catalog puts numbers on all Lehman motors for purchase. Nice setup.
Look up American Diesel, in Carolina somewhere
Donpollosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 07:35 AM   #5
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Kilmarnock, Va last I heard but shouldn't matter fin New Zealand.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 04:24 AM   #6

City: Waitamata
Vessel Name: Karinya
Vessel Model: Pelin
Looking for info on a Ford Lees 120hp

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Kilmarnock, Va last I heard but shouldn't matter fin New Zealand.

[ATTACH]84026[/ATTACH

Hi Jason,
I have a copy of the manual, I will copy the section on the marinizing parts and email it to you if you like. Most of the parts are still available on this side of the pond. When Lees finished with marinizing Fords, the original casting patterns were acquired by their then Export Manager along with the demo boat that features on the cover of the manual. They have been spread about the country a bit as he has hired them out to a number of different people and firms as there is still quite a market for them. I believe Lees were marinizing 1000’s per year in the day and exporting them around the world. It also seems from this forum that Lehman and others were doing exactly the same, and you would have to assume in larger quantities so hence a lot of them still plodding about the planet. I recently cast a couple of exhaust elbows in 316 ss to replace the original CI unit on my boat as it was getting a bit sad. The good thing about this forum is that any thing that could possibly happen to your engine has already happened to somebody else and they have the fix. The wise folk here are also able to critique and correct the ramblings of the likes of myself (watch this space) so after a couple of posts you get a good foundation to decide on the best course of action to take.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0199.jpg  
BeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 07:15 AM   #7

I have purchased HX tube bundles from james@moonengines.co.nz. They also have exhaust manifolds for my Lee's engines, 120hp engines from the 70's. James has been helpful with information. Lee's Marine is also in business, parts@leesgroup.com. They have some parts but my sense is the institutional memory of the older engines has been lost.
Tomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 07:35 AM   #8

The Lees 120hp is the same 2715e Ford engine as the Lehman. The only difference is the marinization and the Circulating Pump. The Lehman has the "5 o'clock" circulating pump while the Lee's has the "2 o'clock" pump.
Tomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 01:24 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Thank you for such a comprehensive post very much appreciated. I’d be grateful if you could email any information on the Lees.
I’ll PM you with my email.
I found a genuine impeller on board still in its box so I have a spare which is good. $115...wow.
I’d like to get some new anodes for the water system as I don’t know how old they are.
Service book suggests that the impeller was only replaced last year but I don’t know when the last service was done as well so I’d like to change the oil and filters.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:27 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeJay View Post
[ATTACH]84026[/ATTACH

Hi Jason,
I have a copy of the manual, I will copy the section on the marinizing parts and email it to you if you like. Most of the parts are still available on this side of the pond. When Lees finished with marinizing Fords, the original casting patterns were acquired by their then Export Manager along with the demo boat that features on the cover of the manual. They have been spread about the country a bit as he has hired them out to a number of different people and firms as there is still quite a market for them. I believe Lees were marinizing 1000’s per year in the day and exporting them around the world. It also seems from this forum that Lehman and others were doing exactly the same, and you would have to assume in larger quantities so hence a lot of them still plodding about the planet. I recently cast a couple of exhaust elbows in 316 ss to replace the original CI unit on my boat as it was getting a bit sad. The good thing about this forum is that any thing that could possibly happen to your engine has already happened to somebody else and they have the fix. The wise folk here are also able to critique and correct the ramblings of the likes of myself (watch this space) so after a couple of posts you get a good foundation to decide on the best course of action to take.
Bee Jay, don’t know how to PM you.
Email address is Steele-family@bigpond.com
Thanks Jason
Old 01-08-2019, 08:03 PM   #11
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
Can't help other than to mention a PM can be sent through the T.F. site by clicking on the
name, BEE JAY, which will open the means of sending a message.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 12:05 AM   #12

City: Waitamata
Vessel Name: Karinya
Vessel Model: Pelin
Hi Jason,

I have just emailed it to you in pdf format.

Concerning the Lees raw water pump - your best to use the original impeller.
BeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 12:11 AM   #13
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Be careful with old stored impellers. Especially at $115 each! They can age in storage, so if you unpacked, repack and reseal.
References in posts 4 & 5 to Lehman don`t help. American Diesel was established by the Smith family. The late Bob Smith was VP of Lehman. American Diesel did not marinize the Lehman, Lehman marinized the Ford Dorset.
The the town of Kilmarnock is, I think, the location of American Diesel who provide fine service to Lehman users, but not to Lees users.
Looks like BeeJay is your go to man.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 02:17 AM   #14

City: Motueka
Moon Engineering in Auckland NZ are the agents for new and used Lee's marine equipment.
The have most things and are very helpful.
Waimana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 05:10 AM   #15
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard Mr./Ms. W.