Lofa remote oil filter size?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MurrayM

Guru
Vessel Name
Badger
Vessel Make
30' Sundowner Tug
Hi there,

Looking for some help here...

The previous owner's last entry in the maintenance log regarding the oil filter states he used a NAPA 51381.

The 100hp Yanmar 4JH2-UTE has a remote oil filter system made by Lofa Industries, and I'm not sure if it was added to the engine after the last entry in the maintenance log because of the PO's failing health.

Can anyone confirm that the above filter is the right one for the Lofa, or would it take a different size? The one onboard right now is pictured below and is approximately 3.5 inches wide and 3" tall. There was no replacement filter aboard...

Last edited:
try that photo again...apparently it's an Auto Sense filter, unmentioned in the maintenance log...

Attachments

• Lofa remote filter.jpg
    Lofa remote filter.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
The part # on the Auto Sense filter is "AS51381"

According to this site, there are several compatible NAPA filters;

http://www.hydraulicstore.com/index...tory]=&data[catalog]=1&data[itemcode]=3977812

Can one assume (sometimes a dangerous endeavour) that since they bear the same part #'s that they are compatible?

After draining the old oil, might have to take the old filter to the NAPA store for an exact match, but I'm trying to avoid an extra back and forth trip to the boat.

Murray (who's still at the bottom of the learning curve, but climbing steadily :) )

Can one assume (sometimes a dangerous endeavour) that since they bear the same part #'s that they are compatible?

Are you worried that you might put one in that has too high a capacity?

Are you worried that you might put one in that has too high a capacity?

I'm mainly worried about things not lining up gasket wise then ending up with a jet of oil and a massive clean up job, etc. Just thought somebody might have this Lofa remote oil filter system and could give a quick answer.

Last edited:
Motor Oil filter variables:
Container volume
Gasket diameter
Nipple size 1/2, 3/4, 1" NPT or metric
Check valve yes,no
Relief valve yes, no
Relief valve pressure
Media type
Media size in microns

First see if the standard engine mounted filter will fit that adapter because it will have all the necessary features for that engine. If it does not, look up the features in the Wix, Baldwin, Fram book and get a filter that fits with the same features.

Last edited:
I'm guessing that part came from either the Alcan or Eurocan equipment shop.

Thanks Brooksie. I'll be double checking my choice with the PO's son, and the local NAPA fella.

I'm guessing that part came from either the Alcan or Eurocan equipment shop.

Good call...vessel came with Eurocan floater jackets as well.

When looking in Da Book for a cross remember there are many that are almost identical , but some have more capacity.

More is better , if the room exists.

On old Volvo sail engines a tiny Volvo filter was stock , to get the overall size on a spec sheet small.

One the engine was in place the 1/6 the price PH8A was a direct replacement , and held about a 1/2 quart more.

When looking in Da Book for a cross remember there are many that are almost identical , but some have more capacity.

More is better , if the room exists...

Thanks FF,

The Yanmar service manual calls for lube oil filter to be;

Type..............................................Full flow, paper element
Filtration area..................................0.10m2
Discharge volume.............................30 l/min
Pressure loss...................................0.3 - 0.5 kg/cm2
By-pass valve regulating pressure........0.8 - 1.2 kg/cm2

Checking the maintenance log again, it appears the engine originally came with a Yanmar filter # 120150-35150 on the engine. After the remote filter system was installed he moved from a WIX 51334, to a NAPA 21334, then to a larger capacity NAPA 51381, and to the current Auto Sense AS51381.

Will report back later...

The Yanmar service manual calls for lube oil filter to be;

Type.............................................. Full flow, paper element
Filtration area..................................0.10m2
Discharge volume.............................30 l/min
Pressure loss...................................0.3 - 0.5 kg/cm2
By-pass valve regulating pressure........0.8 - 1.2 kg/cm2

Mostly useless info when using the cross book,

Brooksie gave what you will use to find what works,

Motor Oil filter variables:
Container volume
Gasket diameter