Location of wet exhaust

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markpierce

Master and Commander
Vessel Name
Carquinez Coot
Vessel Make
penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
What's the best location for a wet exhaust? Mine's on the port side, a short distance from the single engine. But I've seen most all on the stern.

img_146001_0_87dc62209c89bd8c04190589e8d8aadc.jpg

Last edited:
Probably depends on the configuration of the boat, the characteristics of the air movement around the boat, and a bunch of other things. Ours are several inches above the waterline at the corners of the transom so no fumes come aboard and tHere is no sooting of the transom or the dinghy on the swimstep.

There is no "best" location...that's why you will see them all over the place.

Some are for practical, some are for aesthetic...but none are best.

There is no "best" location...that's why you will see them all over the place.

Some are for practical, some are for aesthetic...but none are best.

and some are because the builder didn't want to have a long run of expensive exhaust tubing!. Builders will often choose to save a few bucks and make life difficult for the life of the boat.
HOLLYWOOD

Sometimes they make the run instead of side exhausts..especially with diesels so they don't soot up the purty hull.

Then there's the Sea Rays (and others) with the strange underwater exhausts.

Attachments

• digi43219914.jpg
    digi43219914.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
PS-I have seen transom exhausts, above, at and below the waterline, side exhausts just in front of the transom, side like Mark's (although usually for generators), underwater exhausts flush to the hull, but I have never seen anything like the SeaRay one you posted. I guess I have never looked at a SeaRay out of the water. That is just weird.

All the rationale I have heard for underwater was reduction of blowback, sooting, noise etc. But then I have been told above the waterline is better because you can see the waterflow.

But then I have been told above the waterline is better because you can see the waterflow.

After starting the engine, next step is to check the waterflow. Easy to do leaning out the pilothouse door and checking the side exhaust.

Back
Top Bottom