Lime scale removal from a Heat Exchanger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Piers

Veteran Member
I seem to remember reading a posting which advocated using a a liquid to remove lime scale.

Can anyone remember the name of it?

Thank you!

Hiya Piers,
** CLR is advertised to remove lime scale.* I have had mixed results from using this product.* The humidifier on my furnace is prone to scaling (hard water).** I have access to concentrated acetic acid (vinegar is about 3% acetic acid) and it does a great job, the concentrate that is, with removing the lime scale.

There are actual marine products that will not harm the equipment, claimed to be "green " too.

Will; post link next time I cross an add.

Never used metal rods of any type to clean the exchanger tubes, you will run the risk of damaging them. Wooden dowels are your best bet. If they will not clean the tubes you will need a more aggressive chemical cleaning. Chuck

I remember reading somwhere about a method of using an electrical pump and tying into the cooling system. You would fill a bucket with dilluted CLR and backflush the entire cooling system, pumping out of the bucket and draining into it. Anyone done this or somthing similar?

Thanks for the Rydlyme name, Chuck. I've called them and found a UK dealer. Perfect!

Max Simmons wrote:

I remember reading somwhere about a method of using an electrical pump and tying into the cooling system. You would fill a bucket with dilluted CLR and backflush the entire cooling system, pumping out of the bucket and draining into it. Anyone done this or somthing similar?
I've just done it, Max, and reported it amongst the servicing 'blog' I ran here

http://www.trawlerforum.com/index.spark?aBID=115492&p=3&topicID=34623247

Piers

One thing that won't work... I thought I'd try just putting dilute muriatic (hydrochloric) acid into an empty heat exchanger still mounted on the generator. I started squirting some into the hole where the zinc normally goes. It started leaking out almost immediately at the gasket/faceplate on the end. Turns out it was eating up the gasket material. Oh well, nice try.

I use Sno-Bol toilet cleaner. Remove the heat exchanger first and just squirt it in
and let it sit for a while, give it a couple applications and works great.
B.

A weak solution of hydrochloric acid will remove lime scale
Remove the heat exchanger core and place in a tub with the weak solution
You need to keep an eye on it
Flush with clean water and reassemble

Allan

-- Edited by AllanY on Tuesday 13th of April 2010 05:52:46 AM

It'll also remove zincs! I cleaned out a handful of plugs where the pencil zincs had broken off inside with 50/50 muriatic acid and water last week. Alway remember A comes before W; always add acid to water, NEVER the other way around.

1:10 HCl to water. 50/50 way too strong.

50/50 worked just fine with these. No damage to the brass and even then it took overnight soaking to dissolve all the zinc.That's also the concentration everybody around here uses to clean the heat exchangers with no problem.

The dilute will work too, just takes lots longer.

www.track-online.com is a "Green" product made to clean marine systems .

There are others that do not BS about being "Green"

At least all are purpose made to clean marine heat exchangers .

I just set my HE in white vinegar let it soak and voila looked newish again after rodding out some of the bore. I know one of the posts said not to use a metal rod but the John Deere manual I have said to use a 3/16" brass rod as needed to clean out the bores before rinsing. Just FYI

Use a 50/50 solution of muriatic acid and circulate it through your engine's raw water system with a small pump. Works great.

Back
Top Bottom