Old 09-14-2016, 09:29 AM   #21
FF
Guru

Anti-freez needs to be changed more often than hoses.Every 3-5 years.

Some Mfg suggest flushing the cooling system before the change.

I would 2 part flush with the old hoses , rinse, rinse, rinse and only then install the new hose.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 09:37 AM   #22
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
This is what worries me about engine hoses. This came from my Lehman 120. It's the hose that runs from the bottom of the expansion tank.
The impression is from being pressed against the engine block.
Luckily I replaced before it wore thru, but I never would have seen it.
Looks like a cheap standard hose to replace.

I have an old boat, and old engines from 1970.
I bought the boat in 1998.
I replaced a few hoses.
However most of the hoses are OEM original from 1970.

I have over the last 5 years rebuilt the engines, and all the hoses are just fine.
I have never seen the fantastic great old hoses from 1970 for sale anywhere.

Most do have the steel coil, some don't.
These good old hoses, you can see a spiral wound pattern in the rubber casing, and the surface has a rough texture pattern. And the rubber is not cracked, hardened, split, it is perfect.

Now get this, some hoses are not from 1970, newer design have a color stripe one then, and in some of those the outer rubber spli, like a rubber dry rot, yet the inner liner is perfect as is the steel coil.

So I got some cloth friction tape (Ace hardware $2 a roll) and overwrapped then and of course that sealed up the surface and they look great toot.

For example this, a newer hose was spplitting and another hose I wrapped with the friction tape. See the inner liner is fine, I do not want the outer case to fall apart so I wrapped them. I did this many years ago and they are still looking great.

For example this really old great quality hose on left side in perfect shape painted a little green from 1970

sdowney717 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 11:00 AM   #23
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadMistress View Post
My pickup truck is nearing 30yrs of age. Hoses original as far as I can tell. Hoses still look good and pass the squeeze test.

Very few trucks have ever been sunk by a failed hose.

Peggie
http://www.amazon.com/New-Get-Rid-Bo...dp/1892399784/
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein

Good point. One good way to handle this is to go around your boat and look at the hose and ask "what happens if this fails?" There will be some that could sink you, some that would cause an overheat, and then some that would not really matter. What consequences of failure should determine how proactive you are.

And then that leads to the importance of things like high water alarms and known functional and redundant engine alarms.
Ski in NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 02:07 PM   #24
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Good point. One good way to handle this is to go around your boat and look at the hose and ask "what happens if this fails?" There will be some that could sink you, some that would cause an overheat, and then some that would not really matter. What consequences of failure should determine how proactive you are.

And then that leads to the importance of things like high water alarms and known functional and redundant engine alarms.
Yup. Plus Knowing what to look for on a daily basis is essential. On my vessel the cost to do all hoses could easily top $10K. Not something to jump into without a reason.

Careful inspection rules IMHO. Thus far on 13 year old vessel 3 hoses have weeped and been replaced. Watching another 30 or so including exhaust. But some vessels and owners install bargain basement hoses that are bad from day one. That is a big issue to be concerned about when buying a foreign made vessel or hoses on a used vessel acquired from a Walmart special parts bin.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 02:14 PM   #25

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
My hoses were all original equipment (15 years old when I bought the boat). I replaced all raw water hoses when I purchased the boat, as the rubber was obviously deteriorated on the wet exhaust hose. Last year I replaced all of the coolant hoses on the engine, none showed any sign of deterioration in any way.

I simply didn't want to deal with the issue of a foreseeable failure. I also had the injector hoses replaced just to head off any issues, being broken down in our short boating season doesn't work for me :-) With all of the commercial fishing boats out there at the same time getting work done in any kind of a timely manner is pretty much impossible. No tow services either, so it's the ounce of prevention...

My plan is to use the wet exhaust hose as a guide as to when to renew the other raw water hoses again.
AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 06:25 PM   #26
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
I have two Volvo cars, with the same engine. One is 2000, the other 2005. I replaced the spark plugs in the 05 last month. There is a blowby hose in under the top cover. It was rotted so badly that it came away in several pieces. I replaced it. The other car, the 2000, has the same mileage on it. I have owned both since new, garage kept together until we moved 2 yrs ago, both driven under the same lack of stressful conditions. I replaced the plugs in the 2000 this week, though there were no symptoms suggesting I should. I inspected the blowby hose. It looks like the new one I bought for the 05 last month, but is OEM, so 16 yrs old. I squeezed it. It will stay in place.
Go figure.
Old 09-14-2016, 06:48 PM   #27

City: In transit
Vessel Name: Sea life
Vessel Model: Krogen 42 #61
EVERY hose in my boat, not just the engine room is only 2 years old most of them will not be changed again under my ownership! Took a big bite out of refit budget, but now it will be the next guys problem. We have a 10 year plan.

And yes, every hose has a manufacture date stamped, it is intersting to see how old some are still in the store.

www.caribbeansealife.com
Sealife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:53 PM   #28
Guru

City: League City, TX
Vessel Name: Pelago
Vessel Model: Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
Boat US published an article entitled Don't Get Hosed by Busted Hoses a couple of years ago. It has some useful guidelines if you are in doubt.

I don't think most manufacturers list a replacement schedule, although Gates, in a self-serving manner (my opinion), suggests replacement every four years.

"A replacement interval of four years for all coolant carrying hoses -- especially the upper radiator, bypass and heater hoses. The incidence of hose failure increases sharply after four years for most vehicles."

In 2003, my 83 MB 300TD still had its original radiator and heater hoses when I sold it with 225k miles. The dealer still had not recommended changing them! Crazy.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:06 PM   #29
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
My engines have 7 PSI pressure caps, the cars are 16 psi, so the hoses do not have as much pressure on them.
sdowney717 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 08:37 AM   #30
Guru

City: Philadelphia, PA
Vessel Name: Revel
Vessel Model: 1984 Fu Hwa 39
Despite the endless push for cheaper manufacturing and cheaper stuff, I see that the chemistry and technology of synthetics and plastics keeps getting better. Most of us are old enough to remember cracked tires, rock-hard hoses, crumbling plastic objects and car parts. Cotton-reinforced tires and hoses, rubber wiring insulation dropping off, silk- or cotton-wrapped wire insulation. That peculiar smell of old electronics.

I think we'll see much extended service lives of such stuff, even in our 30-40 year old boats. Of course, failure of hoses in the engine spaces while you're driving from the flybridge would be both inconvenient and probably late to diagnose before awful messes were created!
DHeckrotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 08:55 AM   #31
Guru

City: Maine Coast
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
How often do you change the hoses on your car? In most cases they operate at higher pressure than hoses on the boat. I know that we never changed a hose on our 1998 Subaru and it was fine in 2015 when we replaced it. The same was true of my '96 F150 when I traded it in 2011. That said, I do change the hoses that carry sea water on about a 15 year schedule. I have not had one that was in poor condition. I also replaced all rubber on my engine when I had it out of the boat in 2014. That was the first hose replacement since the engine was new in 1987. A couple hoses were a bit soft, but not close to failure.
TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:00 AM   #32
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
For the record, this thread has caused me to order the hose kit for my Lehman 135. Don't know if I couldn't get a few more years out of the current hoses but the cost was not that great.
Old 09-15-2016, 09:52 AM   #33
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Pelican View Post
For the record, this thread has caused me to order the hose kit for my Lehman 135. Don't know if I couldn't get a few more years out of the current hoses but the cost was not that great.
I've been thinking about the same thing. Unfortunately mine are a pair of DD 6-71s so I suspect I'm looking at $$$.

mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 10:38 AM   #34
Guru

City: League City, TX
Vessel Name: Pelago
Vessel Model: Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
My Yanmar is 15 years old now, and the on-engine hoses are all original with factory silver paint. They feel fine, but I just ordered a full set. I'll replace them when I change coolant later this year.

Great discussion and a reminder to think about those hoses.
Old 09-15-2016, 11:47 AM   #35
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Blue Heaven
Vessel Model: Albin 43 classic double cabin, twin 135 Lehmans
Shortly after I bought my current boat I replaced all coolant, fuel and oil lines. They all appeared original - 25 years old. Some coolant lines looked like they needed it (swollen or hard) some didn't. The fittings on the oil lines were rusting and the hoses felt very hard. I found 3 rubber fuel lines actually porous and seeping fuel. I changed them on *my* schedule and its a major item I don't have to worry about.

I think every 5 years regardless of appearance is a bit excessive. But I think 25 is too long.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 08:12 PM   #36

City: Warwick, RI
Vessel Name: Susan Helena
Vessel Model: Albin40
Two months after we purchased our boat, the main engine exhaust house split while we were underway. Never knew it until after we rafted up to another boat on a mooring, and it began to get dark. The inverter wasn't working, so up came a hatch to investigate. Water was up to the bottom of the oil pan. The spray wiped out the inverter. The boat had no high water alarm, and Murphy made sure the float switch wasn't working. (It did at the survey) Luckily no siphon action, and the pumps worked with the manual switches. Had it been much more of a trip, we would have been in big trouble.
Another boring hose story....chased an overheating genny for a while, replacing impellers, cleaning heat exchanger, etc with no luck. Finally, while removing the raw water pump again, I heard the telltale crunch in the intake hose, about a foot away from the pump. Damn thing had delaminated and blocked the flow. So now it's my routine to check hoses monthly or so. Replaced all the intake and exhaust hoses. Probably do it on a seven to ten
year cycle, but it depends on how they're doing.
mike66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 11:46 AM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDunn View Post
How often do you change the hoses on your car? .
My son owns an automotive repair shop.
He makes a lot of money on failed hoses.
Just sayin'.

Mystic,Ct
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote