Let's play a game... Repower

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think this is a good comparison but I'll post it anyway.

My 24,000 lb planning hull boat has twin Cummins 330 hp diesel's and will top out at about 26 kts. More realistically though 18 kts at 2300 rpm and 1 mpg. The point being is you'll need a lot more HP to get 15 kts out of a semi-planning hull.

Personally I would never go back to a slow boat. Once you've had a taste of speed you'll know what I mean. But I do cruise often on one engine at 7 kts with the admiral saying, "do we have to be on a sailboat again".

:thumb: :socool:

Gahhhh.......boat shopping! Who ever wants to do that?? :rolleyes:

But seriously everyone thanks for playing!! Lots of details we hadn't thought about yet. and a few of them deal breakers.

Skinny Dippin' is a fine vessel for ICW cruising. She was perfect for us to get hooked on crusing and will do us just fine till we can move up....but just a little. Neither of us wants to go above 44 or 48'.

Personally I would never go back to a slow boat. Once you've had a taste of speed you'll know what I mean. But I do cruise often on one engine at 7 kts with the admiral saying, "do we have to be on a sailboat again".

I'm used to slow, as in 6.3 knots (1800 out of 2400 RPM).

img_105774_0_870e8bd93997b52e0f0b36a6d66e08ce.png

USCG Auxiliary slowly passing me (like 96% of powered boats):

img_105774_1_6bd9b81b9e5550af8f71f88d99147cd7.jpg

Only passed this catamaran because he has reefed the mainsail:

img_105774_2_5256de82ce8be6178e4209d2256a3cc5.jpg

Last edited:
Personally I would never go back to a slow boat. Once you've had a taste of speed you'll know what I mean.

I agree. It is downright painful to say nothing of frustrating, annoying, and boring to go from cruising at 30 mph in our Arima to 8 knots in the GB.

image-3463567815.jpg

Last edited:
For me there is no choise. It is either go slow or not go. The cost of fuel makes that decision . My current boat will go much faster then my old MT 34 but I still cruise about 8kt at 4gph 16knt cost 30gph

Speed is all about attitude and lifestyle while cruising..it doesn't mean all of us will ever like the same. For me, all the cruising at breakneck speeds on deliveries was frustrating, but necessary.

This winter I'm finally going at 6-7 knots, 50 miles a day and seeing everything I missed all the other times....

This winter I'm finally going at 6-7 knots, 50 miles a day and seeing everything I missed all the other times...

With a good autopilot its like being on a cruise ship!!!

This winter I'm finally going at 6-7 knots, 50 miles a day and seeing everything I missed all the other times...

With a good autopilot its like being on a cruise ship!!!

I love those stretches of the Chesapeake and other open bodies of water where you can go for over an hour on auto with just glimpsing out the windows and doing all sorts of stuff...and enjoying the scenery/reading about it in the guides, etc...etc...:D

I love those stretches of the Chesapeake and other open bodies of water where you can go for over an hour on auto with just glimpsing out the windows and doing all sorts of stuff...and enjoying the scenery/reading about it in the guides, etc...etc...:D

That's why I always recommend Murphy gauges, the engine is monitored automatically , no watch stander required!

Esp if you chose to run North outside where long runs are a snap.

Gonzo, if you're looking at about 300 HP and want a modern design take a look at the Yanmar 6LPA-STP.
http://www.ellisboat.com/docs/Engines/6LPA-STP.pdf

Tom,

That engine comes in at several HP ratings from 315 up to 400+. Basically all the sane engine. Mine is a Yanmar 6LYA -STP 370 HP Serial #56784. Transmission is a ZF marine reduction gear model 80-1, rated at 2.5:1 turning a Shaft 2" Stainless Steel and a Prop: 26x20x4.

We weigh about the same and have a 32’ water line. At 3,400 we top out at about 18 mph. We can back down from there and maintain 12-13 mph at 2,800 or so. The problem is that the prop on mine is in a tunnel and as Nordhavn found out on their 35 it takes the tunnel to get it up on the semi plane.

I'm kinda in the get a different boat camp. There are many out there that will have larger gen sets than you have and do what you want for less of an overall investment.

Last edited:
.....where you can go for over an hour on auto with just glimpsing out the windows and doing all sorts of stuff...and enjoying the scenery/reading about it in the guides, etc...etc...:D

Those are the guys who always run into stuff up here and then blame it on an "uncharted" rock. I've always wondered if when they hit a log they blame it on an "uncharted" log.

Of course, there's stuff to run into up here so perhaps that's the difference.......:):):)

Those are the guys who always run into stuff up here and then blame it on an "uncharted" rock. I've always wondered if when they hit a log they blame it on an "uncharted" log.

Of course, there's stuff to run into up here so perhaps that's the difference.......:):):)

There's plenty to run into here to...you just have to know when it's time to be vigilant and when to relax...I've boated in the big timber area too...:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom