Old 09-29-2012, 07:55 AM   #21
Guru

I was close to doing a repower on my 40 Albin. I planned to use a Cummins 6BTA tuned to about 220-240 hp using a marinized pickup truck engine.
At that I expected to be able to cruise at 9 to 10 knots (10-11 mph) and top out around 13/14 knots.
I used those figures because one of the early 40 Albins I looked at was powered by a 6BT 210 hp Cummins, and I talked to the owner (1 year after he sold the boat) and he said he could see those numbers with a loaded boat.
I suspect that if you put in something around 300-350 hp you could achieve the speed you want. Be advised though, that you would need to upgrade many things to make that kind of a change..shaft diameter, obvioulsy the prop, fuel lines, tranny, exhaust hoses, raw water intake, the list goes on. I did a repower on a Mainship 34 years ago from a 160 Perk to a 270 Cummins and there are a lot of upgrades to do with that kind of hp increase

Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:05 AM   #22
Guru

City: Chocowinity NC
Vessel Name: My Yuki
Vessel Model: 1973 Marine Trader 34
Tom/Bess, I am with the side that says when you're ready for that offshore adventure, to quote Brody from Jaws, "you're gonna need a bigger boat" . Shopping on YW is fun. Here's an example: Miss Wanda has her Hatteras for sale at Alligator River.
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...g_id=5224&url=

As has been said, for what you could get for Skinny-Dippin, with all the work you guys have done, and what it'd cost to retrofit engines, etc. there are probably a lot of Hat's or similar boats that are designed to cross the Stream.

ARoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:43 AM   #23
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Good points all! Thanks for the input. Nothing is even close to being decided and we haven't even thought if this is a realistic option or not, but there are a few thing I didn't think of like shaft, exhaust, and raw water intakes. I mean, I am willing to hack a few places to get a bigger engine to fit, but I really don't want to totally undo the entire thing. I have no doubt a larger exhaust will not fit where the current one is routed.

We have looked at bigger and faster boats (even one of those Bayliner things... I feel dirty just saying it ) and me personally just don't want to give up all the work I have done on SD to start back from the beginning. Besides, Bess has gotten all hot-in-the-crotch about a Tollycraft CPMY44 and I suppose that will be our next boat once we are on the other side of this re-fi and have some time to save up.

Thanks again for all the input. I suppose I should shelve this idea and enjoy Skinny Dippin' for what she is and not turn her into something that may exceed her design specs.

Tom-
Old 09-29-2012, 08:53 AM   #24
Guru

City: Cary NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'
Gahhhh.......boat shopping! Who ever wants to do that??

But seriously everyone thanks for playing!! Lots of details we hadn't thought about yet. and a few of them deal breakers.

Skinny Dippin' is a fine vessel for ICW cruising. She was perfect for us to get hooked on crusing and will do us just fine till we can move up....but just a little. Neither of us wants to go above 44 or 48'.
Besslb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:54 AM   #25
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Today I agree fully w psneeld.

And I think boat shopping is wonderful.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:26 AM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoF1 View Post
....a Tollycraft CPMY44 and I suppose that will be our next boat once we are on the other side of this re-fi and have some time to save up.

Tom-
If you like the Tolly 44, also check out the Ocean Alexander 44/46....very similar Monk design...slightly nicer layout inside and out (IMO). More spacious sundeck, for example.
Underway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:55 AM   #27
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: The Caroliner
Vessel Model: Plans to build 30' Spira Sitka
Hummm?No mention of the six seven Cummins.

<-----Dang good video on the 6.7 strong points.

Cummins MerCruiser Diesel | Quantum Series

Ain't sha purdy.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:45 AM   #28
Guru

City: Pensacola
I would think your boat is big enough to cross over to the Bahamas. Plenty big. IF you get to the point of repowering, there are those of us with the same engines that might want to buy it for parts..
Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:06 PM   #29

Don't even try to repower to get what you want. Sell the boat and buy one already set up to do what you want. Even a Bayliner if the conditon and performance specs meet your purposes. Try to get one with a Cummins engine or the old cat 3208 but not more than 375HP in the Cat. Probably didn't put cats in them but a Cummins 6cyl series would be good. Stay away from the cored hull versions. We looked at and sea trialed a couple of the 37 footers,--good layout but not enough engine. The engines were foreign made, 6 cyl diesels at about 175 HP each. Neither boat would get up an go. We presently own a Californian 34LRC with the 210CatNA 3208s. We searched from Galveston Texas around the Gulf to Miami Fl. and found lots of similar boats for sale, just had to find the right price and codition combination.
Fighterpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:22 PM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoF1 View Post
I suppose I should shelve this idea and enjoy Skinny Dippin' for what she is and not turn her into something that may exceed her design specs.
Tom-
Good decision. One thought, did Perkins make a turbo version of your engine, like the T6354. Had one on a previous boat,with aftercooler,still lacks the power to go planing, fuel consumption would be scary, but you would not be changing much else, and it would be faster.BruceK
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:58 PM   #31
Guru

I don't think this is a good comparison but I'll post it anyway.

My 24,000 lb planning hull boat has twin Cummins 330 hp diesel's and will top out at about 26 kts. More realistically though 18 kts at 2300 rpm and 1 mpg. The point being is you'll need a lot more HP to get 15 kts out of a semi-planning hull.

Personally I would never go back to a slow boat. Once you've had a taste of speed you'll know what I mean. But I do cruise often on one engine at 7 kts with the admiral saying, "do we have to be on a sailboat again".
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:35 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Besslb View Post
Gahhhh.......boat shopping! Who ever wants to do that??

But seriously everyone thanks for playing!! Lots of details we hadn't thought about yet. and a few of them deal breakers.

Skinny Dippin' is a fine vessel for ICW cruising. She was perfect for us to get hooked on crusing and will do us just fine till we can move up....but just a little. Neither of us wants to go above 44 or 48'.
LA Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:26 AM   #33
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post

Personally I would never go back to a slow boat. Once you've had a taste of speed you'll know what I mean. But I do cruise often on one engine at 7 kts with the admiral saying, "do we have to be on a sailboat again".
I'm used to slow, as in 6.3 knots (1800 out of 2400 RPM).

USCG Auxiliary slowly passing me (like 96% of powered boats):

Only passed this catamaran because he has reefed the mainsail:

Old 09-30-2012, 02:23 AM   #34
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
Personally I would never go back to a slow boat. Once you've had a taste of speed you'll know what I mean.
I agree. It is downright painful to say nothing of frustrating, annoying, and boring to go from cruising at 30 mph in our Arima to 8 knots in the GB.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3463567815.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	13328
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:23 AM   #35
Guru

For me there is no choise. It is either go slow or not go. The cost of fuel makes that decision . My current boat will go much faster then my old MT 34 but I still cruise about 8kt at 4gph 16knt cost 30gph
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:47 AM   #36
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Speed is all about attitude and lifestyle while cruising..it doesn't mean all of us will ever like the same. For me, all the cruising at breakneck speeds on deliveries was frustrating, but necessary.

This winter I'm finally going at 6-7 knots, 50 miles a day and seeing everything I missed all the other times....
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:36 AM   #37
FF
Guru

This winter I'm finally going at 6-7 knots, 50 miles a day and seeing everything I missed all the other times...

With a good autopilot its like being on a cruise ship!!!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:00 AM   #38
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
This winter I'm finally going at 6-7 knots, 50 miles a day and seeing everything I missed all the other times...

With a good autopilot its like being on a cruise ship!!!
I love those stretches of the Chesapeake and other open bodies of water where you can go for over an hour on auto with just glimpsing out the windows and doing all sorts of stuff...and enjoying the scenery/reading about it in the guides, etc...etc...
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:15 AM   #39
FF
Guru

I love those stretches of the Chesapeake and other open bodies of water where you can go for over an hour on auto with just glimpsing out the windows and doing all sorts of stuff...and enjoying the scenery/reading about it in the guides, etc...etc...

That's why I always recommend Murphy gauges, the engine is monitored automatically , no watch stander required!

Esp if you chose to run North outside where long runs are a snap.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:12 PM   #40
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Gonzo, if you're looking at about 300 HP and want a modern design take a look at the Yanmar 6LPA-STP.
http://www.ellisboat.com/docs/Engines/6LPA-STP.pdf
Tom,

That engine comes in at several HP ratings from 315 up to 400+. Basically all the sane engine. Mine is a Yanmar 6LYA -STP 370 HP Serial #56784. Transmission is a ZF marine reduction gear model 80-1, rated at 2.5:1 turning a Shaft 2" Stainless Steel and a Prop: 26x20x4.

We weigh about the same and have a 32’ water line. At 3,400 we top out at about 18 mph. We can back down from there and maintain 12-13 mph at 2,800 or so. The problem is that the prop on mine is in a tunnel and as Nordhavn found out on their 35 it takes the tunnel to get it up on the semi plane.

I'm kinda in the get a different boat camp. There are many out there that will have larger gen sets than you have and do what you want for less of an overall investment.

JD is offline   Reply With Quote