Old 08-10-2012, 01:15 PM   #21
Guru

In my case, it was ignorance when I purchased my boat with two Volvo engines. I went from gas to diesel without a thorough investigation of various diesel engines regarding part availibilities and costs. It's no fun owning a boat with Volvo engines knowing if something fails you are S.O.L. for replacement parts.

ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:28 PM   #22
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
Interesting thread as I am looking for a live-a-board trawler
Didn't you just read something about believing stuff you read on the internet?

Me personally believe a lot from the credible sources.

You read a lot of posts, see which posters get good and bad feedback from the majority of other posters in terms of whether or not their info is substantiated elsewhere, you do a little homework, add a touch of common sense and experience and bingo....you have some worthwhile input.

Here is a great source from long distance cruisers, liveaboards, people with a lot of experience and doubters who keep the rest in check to a point...it's all good though...beats the old days of getting slanted magazine articles or paying a lot for a library of books that were dated by the time they were published.

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:27 PM   #23
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancora View Post
In my case, it was ignorance when I purchased my boat with two Volvo engines. I went from gas to diesel without a thorough investigation of various diesel engines regarding part availibilities and costs. It's no fun owning a boat with Volvo engines knowing if something fails you are S.O.L. for replacement parts.
Yep, you said it, that was just ignorant!
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:01 PM   #24
Scraping Paint

City: -
While the high price of parts may have always been an issue with Volvo engines I believe the increasingly difficult problem in simply finding parts is a relatively new one.

So back when a lot of the cruising boats people own today were built, parts availability for Volvos was probably not an issue. So their reputation as excellent engines made the high parts prices worth it, particularly since the theory was that you wouldn't need parts very often.

Buying or building a boat with Volvo power in the 70s, ,80s, and 90s was considered a smart move. Today the parts issue is becoming a real problem depending on where you boat, but back then it wasn't.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:21 PM   #25
Guru

Quote:

It happens no matter how well you investigate...the waves of the international economy could have made it happen to any manufacturer.

Cat marine almost went out of business a decade ago (just a rumor) because of the excessive costs assosiated with aftermarket marinization products that were faulty. The base engines were OK...but other issues hurt them.

I don't think you or your statements were ignorant...don't let those without any more informed background get to you.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:34 AM   #26
FF
Guru

"Interesting thread as I am looking for a live-a-board trawler"

Most any engines work fine for a dock condo or as the Brits say a Gin Palace.

One question is will you actually be under power over the usual rec boater 200 hours a year ? 12vmonths of use?

Engines LOVE to run , diesels love to run hard (close to their rated power) , few are ever worn out in yacht service.

Most are DESTROYED by lazy folks thinking a diesel is like their car engine ,

"turn it off and walk away " for months at a time.In FL its years!

Look at any diesel site for the engine MFG "out of service" requirements and be prepaired to do the drill as required.

A dock condo can be pickled by the mfg specified methods and can go back in service after years with no harm.

The harm comes from ignoring the engine requirements.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:50 PM   #27
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
HAHA Ron.... Got me there. Re your comment about beliveing what I read on the internet I question most everything and that's the reason for much of my thinking. AND that's the reason for many of my posts. I even question authority but not so much that I couldn't do 4 years in the Navy gracefully. I think I've already done over 4 years here on the forum.

FF's still on a good roll.
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:09 PM   #28
JAT
Guru

Vessel Name: Just a Tinch
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44 MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post

Cat marine almost went out of business a decade ago (just a rumor) because of the excessive costs assosiated with aftermarket marinization products that were faulty. The base engines were OK...but other issues hurt them.
CAT was also pulling out of the over the road/class 8 truck market.... Too many problems with EPA....and Cummins was beating them in the marketplace, but it seems that CAT has decided to bring out their own trucks instead of selling their engines...
JAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:59 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAT View Post
CAT was also pulling out of the over the road/class 8 truck market.... Too many problems with EPA....and Cummins was beating them in the marketplace, but it seems that CAT has decided to bring out their own trucks instead of selling their engines...
They covered the problems and survived the 3116 and 3196 fiascos....

I wish them luck because I loved my 3208s and hope they have something for me if I ever need to replace my 135 Lehman (it's only 2 years old so I hope i never need anyone else's engine in the big picture...well maybe I DO hope I outlive my Lehman
Old 08-13-2012, 03:13 PM   #30
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"Interesting thread as I am looking for a live-a-board trawler"

Most any engines work fine for a dock condo or as the Brits say a Gin Palace.

One question is will you actually be under power over the usual rec boater 200 hours a year ? 12vmonths of use?

Engines LOVE to run , diesels love to run hard (close to their rated power) , few are ever worn out in yacht service.

Most are DESTROYED by lazy folks thinking a diesel is like their car engine ,

"turn it off and walk away " for months at a time.In FL its years!

Look at any diesel site for the engine MFG "out of service" requirements and be prepaired to do the drill as required.

A dock condo can be pickled by the mfg specified methods and can go back in service after years with no harm.

The harm comes from ignoring the engine requirements.
No dock condo here. We plan to running up and down the west coast. I have a friend that has a marine trader with volvos and he is able to get parts in Portland OR, but he does complain about parts. I am leaning toward those boats that have cummins or cats.
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:00 AM   #31
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
And what about John Deeres?

Old 08-14-2012, 09:51 AM   #32
Guru

City: Missourah
Vessel Name: M/V Scout
Vessel Model: Sundowner Tug 30'
Simple, quiet, efficient and reliable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kubota diesel.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	12290  

Deliveries & Yacht Services
www.captainchip.com
Anode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:11 AM   #33
Guru

The real question is: How many of you would repower with the same brand of engine?
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:32 AM   #34

City: Boerne, Tx
Vessel Name: HEY JUDE
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 36 Manatee #46
Chip...what hp is your Kubota & what company matched it to a gearbox?
HEY JUDE, a 1986 Kadey Krogen 36 Manatee, #46 of 99. After 13 yrs on Lake Travis she's on Clear Lake TX being prepped for coastal cruising.
HeyJude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:10 PM   #35
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
In searching I have also found a few boats with Detroit and GM diesels. Any word on these?

I have seen many boats with Volvos and I have to tell you that I am shying away from them based on this thread. I would like to have cummins or cats.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:25 PM   #36
Guru

City: Missourah
Vessel Name: M/V Scout
Vessel Model: Sundowner Tug 30'
HeyJude - sent you a pm rather than hijack the thread further.

Deliveries & Yacht Services
www.captainchip.com
Anode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:43 PM   #37
Scraping Paint

Quote:
The real question is: How many of you would repower with the same brand of engine?
We wouldn't/won't. We are thinking of repowering our GB, plus doing a bunch of other things. Even if the FL120 was still available new we wouldn't use it. We would/will repower with a pair of Luggers.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:48 PM   #38
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Still need that much power Marin?
I would repower w the same brand but would probably go shopping to see what's new. I had a loaner car from VW when mine was in for a T belt and drove a 2012 Jetta turbo diesel automatic.
The engine was smooth, quiet and powerful like I wouldn't have believed before. Amazing power. At slow speeds it's almost scary and it dosn't run out of poop at high speeds either. Smooth - quiet - powerful. Amazing.
The transmission was amazing too. Move the lever slightly to the right when you're in Drive ant bump it up to shift up and bump it down/back and it downshifts.......now. It's better than a stick in some ways ... Probably most ways.
My point in sharing this is that mechanical things are definitely getting better and to use/buy the same old stuff must be based on what it really does. Re some items (like varnish) I've played around w several other options and still think I prefer oleo-resinous oil based stuff. But w engines it may be another matter. Each year that passes by leaves me more and more impressed w turbos. People whine about electronic engines as if they are going to quit at a bad moment. But they get into a jet airplane and go 500 mph. And the mechanical things on both electronic and mechanical engines are probably 100s of times more likely to go belly up that the electronics on a modern engine.
So ..... Bottom line is I'd buy another Klassen/Mitsubishi but I'd look around to see if ther'e was a Jetta class engine available. It would probably be half as big, weigh half as much, burn half as much fuel and operate much smoother and quieter. I'd switch in a heartbeat then.
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:26 PM   #39
Guru

I'm hoping by the time I need to repower (or my kids do)....electro-propulsion is good/efficient enough to have one diesel engine (instead of main and genset). Those with twins could do the same...just 2 propulsion motors and a slightly bigger diesel.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:10 PM   #40
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Still need that much power Marin?
We have a hull that will go some 10 or 12 knots or even faster very happily given enough power. If I had my druthers I'd put a pair of 200-275 hp engines in the boat to take advantage of the ability of the boat to semi-plane.

But if we repower I suspect we'd go with a pair of 150-200 hp engines. That would still give us a worthwhile speed increase over our current glacial 8 knots.

You know my motto Eric. Slow Sucks. An ideal boat speed in my book is 25-30 mph. That's how fast we run in the Arima and it's WONDERFUL. Slow has its advantages, no question, but in my book they don't outweigh the advantages of speed.

If the only thing we did other than living was boat, we'd have a 25-30 mph cruiser. Unfortunately we have a lot of other demands on our resources so we settle for an old, slow boat, "settle" being the operative word here.

As I've said before, being out on the water in a less-than-ideal boat is better than not being out on the water at all.

Tags
diesel, lehman, volvo