Old 08-30-2010, 07:19 AM   #81
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
RE: Lehman Starting Issues

Funny this, but I always forget to advance the throttle from the low idle place I last left it, when starting my old 1975 vintage L120 - until it starts. I just turn on the switch to Batt 1, turn the key, press the start button - or turn the key further - both ways work - it instantaneously fires, (confirming what Rick just said about the cold start, I suspect), then, and only then, I advance it a bit, mainly so the low oil pressure loud buzzer will shut up a split second sooner......always works.....since I had the starter motor recon'd 8 yrs ago just after I bought her, that is.

Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:44 AM   #82
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan

Quote:
Capn Chuck wrote:

I wouls say, after all my years of boating..........never. Chuck
LOL!* I was afraid that might be the case.* Maybe I should look into fabricating a replacement mast capable of carrying a cruising chute!*

BaltimoreLurker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:12 PM   #83

Thanks, Rick, for the explanation;* it is exactly what I was looking for.

You ask why I feel it necessary to use this?* I don't, but the person responsible for the maintenance and operation of this boat showed it to me and says we should use it every time.* If one were to crack the throttle and winder 'er up, she starts on the third or fourth crank;* with the button, however, she starts on the first or second crank, every time.* And it is not too much a pain in the butt, even if needless:* we I mentioned in my first posting, we always lift up the floorboards to check oil and coolant levels and look at the raw-water filter before starting the engine, so we just hit the button then;* this is a sedan-style trawler so has no engine room, per se.
Chris491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:48 PM   #84
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
Chris491 wrote:

Is this a common feature? Are we following the correct procedure? Shouldn't this work if we only push the button and do not advance the throttle? Let me know, and thanks.
Unless it's winter and the engine room of your boat is really cold you shouldn't need to use the cold-start lever or button or whatever you have.* On our boat the cold start controls on the injection pumps are connected with Teleflex cables*to pull-knobs on the instrument panel.* But we've never used them, and we've been advised by our diesel shop (and the FL120 operators manual) that we don't need them in our climate.* So far in twelve years we never have.** Were we in New England or Alaska it may be a different story come winter and the cold start knobs would become necessary.

The operator's manual for the FL120 does say to advance the throttle about a quarter of its travel if the engine is cold (normal ambient temperatures, not winter)*before pushing the start button.* If the engine is hot/warm the manual says no throttle advance is necessary.

I didn't advance the throttles at all when starting when we got the boat*but after reading the instructions in the manual (always the last thing you're supposed to do, right?), we've always put in a quarter throttle before starting and the engines start noticeably*quicker than they did with no throttle and a cold engine.*

The cold start control on the FL120 releases a stop or catch and allows the fuel control lever in the injection pump*to move farther than it normally does.* This is why the manual says to put in full throttle, then pull the cold start knob (or push the release on the injection pump).* If you don't put the throttle in its maximum postion before*pushing the cold -start release it won't actually do anything.* It needs the max throttle position in order to allow the fuel control lever to move farther.

The operators manual for the FL120 does a pretty good job of spelling out the correct*starting procedures for various conditions.* If you don't have a copy of the manual they have it on line on the Grand Banks owners forum.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:00 PM   #85

City: Cape Coral FL
Vessel Name: Say GoodBye
Vessel Model: 21 Mako

"If you don't have a copy of the manual they have it on line on the Grand Banks owners forum."

Be aware that there is a BAD electronic copy of the Lehman manual being circulated over the Internet. I had one, and found out in an exchange with Bob Smith about some items in it.* Bob couldnt believe why I was asking some questions and when I told him it was in the manual, he had me send him the copy I had. Then he informed me that the one I had was a draft written that was never to have been released.

I also have the correct versions of the Lehman manual on my own web site here
http://www.alphacompervices.com/ralp...odByeIndex.asp

R.
ralphyost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:35 PM   #86
Scraping Paint

City: -

I've compared the PDF of the Lehman manuals on the GB owners site (although not word for word) and they seem identical to the original operations, parts, and service manuals that came with our boat.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:55 PM   #87

City: Cape Coral FL
Vessel Name: Say GoodBye
Vessel Model: 21 Mako

I believe the Lehman 120 manuals on the Grand Banks web site are the correct ones.

R.

ralphyost is offline   Reply With Quote