Old 08-24-2010, 02:13 PM   #61

City: Cape Coral FL
Vessel Name: Say GoodBye
Vessel Model: 21 Mako
RE: Lehman Starting Issues

"I'm not going to change my mind.* Old crap is old crap.* Our helicopter pilot at the television station I worked at until I moved here was forced to fly a really crummy little helicopter for traffic reporting.* It fell out the sky with considerable regularity but fortunately never hurt anyone in the process.* When I asked him if there was any way to make the thing more reliable, he said "You can only polish a turd so much."

That's the Lehman in my opinion."

Boating choices become a matter of affordability.
When boat shopping, immediately I could determine I couldnt afford a newer boat with newer tehcnology in engines. I learned that Lehman sold over 25,000 engines in trawlers, that MANY MANY trawler owners know them very well, there is a great parts supply system, and they are expected to run >20,000 hours. THere is also a neat 2 day course on how to maintain them by the world's foremost expert on them. The total cost of ownership of the Lehman 20 is reasonable.

Yet there are other good marine engines too. But those factors collectively convinced me that I wanted an old Lehman engine in my boat.
Seemed like a logical conclusion to me.

This being my 4th year with this 1982 boat, I am happy with the Lehman 120 choice. I find the engine relatively easy to get to know, comprehend, work on, and get help with if needed.

And since this thread was about starting, it starts quickly and easily each time....crack the throttle a bit. In spring, the first time you start it in colder weather, you may have to give it a lot or full throttle the very FIRST time it starts. Thereafter, normal starting procedure. Brian Smith from American Diesel told me that after the boat sits for more than a few weeks, sometimes the fuel can recede a bit and it takes more cranking to get it up to the injectors. I find his starting diagnosis to be correct each Spring. After that, all season long, I never have any start issues.
I have almost 6500 hours on my red Lehman.
Note that it took 28 years to put 6800 hours on it. In another 28 years, it may have as much as 14,000 total hours. Still not at expected lifetime !

R.

ralphyost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:27 PM   #62
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t

Good to see you Ralph.

JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 04:58 PM   #63

Mine starts on the first few compression strokes as well. Needs a scooch of throttle for a few seconds to warm the cylinders then it's smooth with gardly a trace of smoke.
I pretty much agree with Ralph's take with the exception that I would like to repower with a Cummins 6BT.
Been working on a truck conversion to do that however present economic conditions have dampened that project. I can afford to do the job no problem but I am thinking I should not throw that extra $$ at the boat at this time.
However the simplicity of a Cummins*B engine and the added efficiency of a modern turbo charged diesel engine may still push me over the edge.
albin man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:28 AM   #64
FF
Guru

and the added efficiency of a modern turbo charged diesel engine may still push me over the edge.biggrin

There is only efficiency IF the loading is high enough to actually gain from the turbo boost.

Many trawlers will run cheap at low rpm , too low for boost, so the turbo gums up and fails , with added expense , but no fuel savings.

IF you can figure an engine where the turbo will be spun up and the engine working hard (75% of rating) some fuel savings may be seen.

It is usually a far smaller engine than normal, if the cruise is at displacement speeds.
FF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 05:37 AM   #65

Lehman Starting Issues

Quote:
albin man wrote:

Mine starts on the first few compression strokes as well. Needs a scooch of throttle for a few seconds to warm the cylinders then it's smooth with gardly a trace of smoke.
I pretty much agree with Ralph's take with the exception that I would like to repower with a Cummins 6BT.
Been working on a truck conversion to do that however present economic conditions have dampened that project. I can afford to do the job no problem but I am thinking I should not throw that extra $$ at the boat at this time.
However the simplicity of a Cummins*B engine and the added efficiency of a modern turbo charged diesel engine may still push me over the edge.
Jay
Your mental wrestling with repowering with Cummins, to replace a PERFECTLY GOOD Lehman 120, is because you are addicted to CUMMINS ! You need to FEED THAT ADDICTION MAN ! Either that or get to a 12-step program and support group ! LOL !!!
BTW, anyone who may need a Lehman 120 ought to keep in touch with Jay. When he pulls his Lehman, it wont be because of "problems", it will be purely to feed his Cummins addiction ! His Lehman will be a great engine for someone wanting to repower.
R.

JD: THanks for the welcome ! Been keeping busy on the MTOA, Defever and Great Loop email lists. Stuck my head in this forum last week and it appears that many of the good ole' boys who used to be on Passagemaker message board are now here.

Glad to see the group reformed here. There is a lot of good knowledge in this band of guys.......many of which are Lehman owners.

-- Edited by ralphyost on Wednesday 25th of August 2010 07:00:25 AM
Old 08-25-2010, 06:30 AM   #66
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B

Yes, Hi Ralph. Good to hear from you. Yes PMM became a bit, shall we say...sepulcral. Ones voice started to echo...which is a pity, it was a good board.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 06:33 AM   #67
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

PMM was a great example of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." The more they messed with the software, the worse it became. I finally gave up completely.

One of my favorite quotes of all times applies there, as it does to my philosophy on boat systems. It was Scotty from Star Trek..."The more they overtake the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain".
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 02:39 AM   #68
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser

Keith,
That says it all.
I started with the PMM board when it first opened.
Same with the magazine.
Still subscribe to the mag.
But the board became a PITA.
Still pop over now and again to remind myself why I departed.

Benn
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:34 AM   #69
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

Quote:
Keith wrote:
PMM was a great example of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." The more they messed with the software, the worse it became. I finally gave up completely.
Me too...It was fun at first but they really screwed it up.

Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:06 AM   #70
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356

Damn...I guess I need to keep up with these threads...I can't read EVERYTHING!!!! I am glad y'all managed to get back on track all by yourselves!!!!

And I guess I need to check out that long ass anchor thread if it got ugly.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 04:41 AM   #71
FF
Guru

Still pop over now and again to remind myself why I departed.

Since the most common fellow on the PMM board seems to have never been aboard a boat , visiting at times is useful to stave off DISASTERS.
FF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 07:34 AM   #72
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2

Quote:
FF wrote:Since the most common fellow on the PMM board seems to have never been aboard a boat , visiting at times is useful to stave off DISASTERS.
I thought he was a live-aboard in Seattle.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 07:56 AM   #73

I remember when this board first started too. Keith was a strong advocate for it.
Good to see the good ole' gang has re-assembled here.

I connected to the PMM message board in about 2005 when we were deciding on a trawler purchase. Wanted to know all the intricacies of trawlers and Taiwan-built boats. The group of participants that was on PMM message board at that time was outstanding. It helped me jump start my trawler knowledge significantly.

So here we are....warts and all....even some family fueds!

R.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:42 AM   #74
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B

You betcha. Hi Ralph. I still think of you when I consult my electronic copy of the Lehman manual.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:06 AM   #75
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48

PMM does not have a user friendly site. And no pilots to bring an additional level of common sense and tech savvy!
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:35 AM   #76
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356

Thank y'all for coming over and making this site what it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 01:38 PM   #77

In a polite attempt to get this string back on topic, I have a couple of questions.

Our yacht club owns an old La Paz 33 we use as a race-committee boat; she is powered by a FL120. On the side of the throttle linkage is something someone called a "cold-start button." In operation we lift the floorboard (which we do to check fluids and filters anyway), have someone advance the throttle all the way and push the button; there is a "click" and the linkage advances a few millimeters. When we crank the engine she fires within a half a second--honestly; we quickly retard the throttle so the cold engine does not over-rev. She starts first time, every time.

Now, here are the questions. Is this a common feature? Are we following the correct procedure? Shouldn't this work if we only push the button and do not advance the throttle? Let me know, and thanks.
Chris491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 03:46 PM   #78
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2

Quote:
Chris491 wrote:

Now, here are the questions. Is this a common feature? Are we following the correct procedure? Shouldn't this work if we only push the button and do not advance the throttle? Let me know, and thanks.
It is common on Minimec governors.

It sounds like a needless pain in the butt to do it your way. Why do you feel it is necessary to use it? Is your engine always really cold?

That button is useful on tractors and such and I suppose if you always start your engine from the engine room it might add somethiing to the experience.

You can push it any time but it only does its thing with the engine stopped. Try it.

If you just "crack the throttle" you will probably start just as quickly since the fuel control defaults to maximum fuel when the engine is stopped and the stop lever is not activated. The cold start or excess fuel button just allows the fuel control to move slightly beyond the maximium fuel stop until the engine starts.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:32 AM   #79
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan

My dinosaur, POS FL120 started again Saturday and ran all day without a hiccup.*

This is only my 3rd season as a power boater.* How long before I stop worrying about the engine not starting or conking out at the worst possible moment?
BaltimoreLurker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:17 AM   #80
Guru

Quote:
BaltimoreLurker wrote:

My dinosaur, POS FL120 started again Saturday and ran all day without a hiccup.*

This is only my 3rd season as a power boater.* How long before I stop worrying about the engine not starting or conking out at the worst possible moment?
I wouls say, after all my years of boating..........never. Chuck

Capn Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote