Dauntless Award

City: Wrangell, Alaska
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Bill,
OK I'll put my guns down.
My wording was a bit foggy. I just assumed it would be obvious you would'nt use both on the same fitting. Sorry about all the shoot'in. One could assume the obvious though.
When I became a teacher, it wasn't long before I realized that even the most obvious, explicit instructions, would lead to a varied outcome. Pretty much the shape of a bell curve, 60% of the kids would understand reasonably enough. But 40%, would see things I though only existed in alternative universes or maybe Bizzarro World. And that 40% would be all over the place.

OK I told myself, they are kids.

When I became a principal, teachers acted exactly the same. Even having asked clarifying questions and having knowledge the kids don't have, made no difference.

SO, in Sum, nothing is obvious and when you are sure it is; it isn't.

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 11:32 AM   #22
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
I had a cronic engine loosing rpm problem and it finally did quit. Some very nice people came along and towed us back to port.

Later I found that the issue was thread sealant falling away and drifting along in the fuel lines. I redesigned the fuel manifold (slighty) and replaced all the fuel lines and hose clamps. I used thread sealer (both teflon tape and goo) on all the pipe threads but kept the sealant away fron the ends of the pipe threads so the sealant could'nt get into the fuel. Only been one 4-5 day cruise since but rpm is steady now. It didn't fluctuate at all and I hope the problem is solved.
My 50 year old brass fuel manifold made of fittings and valves was loose, relied only on tape or sealants to work. What it does is take in 3 tanks and splits to 3 destinations.

I took the entire thing apart. Cleaned the brass. Then I soldered the whole thing threads and all. Now is one solid sealed manifold that cant let in any air.
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...U1UzRxMm81QWpR
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 12:58 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Solved (temporarily?) my air and fuel leak problems by fabricating two fuel manifolds out of brass bars. Before that with three engines, a fuel polisher and four tanks I had no end of leaks.