Old 04-15-2012, 12:58 AM   #21
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobH View Post
Closing next week on a new to us boat with twin Lehmans. Couls anyone recommend a source for parts such as raw water pump impellers?

Thanks,

Bob

Don't necessarily assume the water pump impellers will need replacement. They last for yonks, are not prone to sudden failure, and frankly when I bought our boat with FL120 single over 10 yrs ago now, I had it replaced - just coz, like you are thinking - and the one that came out still looks so new it is my spare, and the one we put in is still going strong. Easily checked by watching water temp readings, especially at upper revs, and the flow of water out the exhaust.

Old 04-15-2012, 02:47 AM   #22

City: Pacific Northwest
Vessel Name: Jacari Maru
Vessel Model: Puget Trawler
BobH,

You don't say what part of the country (or what country) you are in but, in the PNW there are several good shops who sell Lehman parts.

Pats Marine Engines in Seattle, WA and Harbor Marine in Everett, WA are two great places for parts. Raw water pump impellers are available from Jabsco for the original pump and Johnson for the replacement pump. Baldwin makes filters for fuel and oil. The hoses, belts, and heat exchangers are easy to get from those same shops.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:09 PM   #23

City: Montgomery, TX
Vessel Name: Compromise
Vessel Model: Present 38
I pulled the impeller out of the port engine and all that was left was the hub, no vanes. I did find three of the broken vanes. We have to move the boat by the end of the month. It's less than 100 miles and as long as we keep the RPMs down I think we should be OK and I will hunt the remaining vanes once we get to our new slip.

Same problem with the genset, two vanes missing. I don't understand it, in six years of living aboard our sailboat I might have changed the engine and genset impellers one time each.

Bob
Old 04-16-2012, 03:13 PM   #24
Guru

City: Friday Harbor, WA
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
I won't move the boat without changing the impellers and finding the missing pieces. Most likely they are stuck on the face of the heat exchanger which reduces the efficiency of the heat exchanger and increases the chance of over heating.

As a habit we change the raw water impeller every year on a schedule. I figure it's easier to do it on my terms than at 3 o'clock in the morning in lousy seas or coming into a crowed anchorage. The Lehman guys say they should be changed every 4-600 hours.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:02 PM   #25
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
I won't move the boat without changing the impellers and finding the missing pieces. Most likely they are stuck on the face of the heat exchanger which reduces the efficiency of the heat exchanger and increases the chance of over heating.
Use a vacuum cleaner on the hose going to the heat exchanger. That should get most if not all if the impeller rubber parts out. I don't need to say turn it on do I?
Old 04-16-2012, 04:44 PM   #26

City: Montgomery, TX
Vessel Name: Compromise
Vessel Model: Present 38
Turn on the heat exchanger or the vacuum cleaner?
Old 04-17-2012, 09:12 AM   #27
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t
Both.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:23 PM   #28

SP225s may be very similar (same block?) to my SP355s on my 48 angel. VERY hard to get marinized parts for. I'm still looking for a raw water pump to carry as a spare now that I finally got enough parts from DepCo to rebuild what I have. Reg. Engine parts should be ok (if it's the same block) as it is a 7.5L Ford Truck Engine. I just got a new Fresh Water Pump for one and it was easy (once I found out who had them). If you've found a source for raw water pumps please let me know.
Dick
Old 04-25-2012, 08:18 PM   #29

try miami pump in florida
Old 04-25-2012, 08:39 PM   #30

i am delivering a 80 ft lazzara to new york and i am in north palm beach broke down with a raw water pump on a MTUDD ENGINE it sells for 7000 dollas new and 2300 rebuilt and had to hang aroundulullets for one week while parts come from germany, MTU stand for more trouble underway LOL,they say it is a bullet proff engine, i would like to shoot it with a lot of bullets
Old 04-29-2012, 08:02 AM   #31

City: Cape Coral FL
Vessel Name: Say GoodBye
Vessel Model: 21 Mako
Lehman parts

Quote:
Closing next week on a new to us boat with twin Lehmans. Couls anyone recommend a source for parts such as raw water pump impellers?

Thanks,

Bob

I have always found the prices art American Diesel to be very fair market, and in some cases, down right cheap. I bought a 110am Balmar alternator and regulator from them that was $200 cheaper than from Defender. They ship out the same day.
R,
Old 04-29-2012, 12:26 PM   #32

Vessel Name: Jacari Maru
Vessel Model: Puget Trawler
Lehman raw water pump impellers are either Jabsco, for the original pump, or Johnson for the replacement aftermarket pump. Most marine parts stores will have the impeller kits.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:29 PM   #33

City: Harbor Island, San Diego, Ca.
Vessel Name: China Doll
Vessel Model: C&L Sea Ranger
Lehman part

American Diesel in Virginia is the absolute authority on Lehman Parts.

Quote:

Thanks,

Bob

Old 04-29-2012, 04:35 PM   #34

City: Harbor Island, San Diego, Ca.
Vessel Name: China Doll
Vessel Model: C&L Sea Ranger
Ford Lehman parts source

American Diesel Corp., Brian Smith 804-435-6420
Kilmarnock, Virgina is the absolute authority on parts.
He bought the molds from the British. Has all pumps, manifolds, etc.
Also I have a used 120 parts engine for sale for $900.00.
San Diego
Kurt 480-948-7053
Old 04-30-2012, 03:48 AM   #35
Guru

Vessel Model: 30,000 lb, twin engine, Dependable Diesel Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabokurt View Post
American Diesel Corp., Brian Smith 804-435-6420
Kilmarnock, Virgina is the absolute authority on parts.
He bought the molds from the British.
Well, no. His father, Bob Smith, worked for Lehman in New Jersey. Lehman bought Ford of England Dorset diesels and marinized them into the FL120. Bob designed some of the marinization components. Later Lehman bought Ford of England Dover diesels and marinized them into the FL135. They also marinzed other Ford of England diesels.

Lehman eventually went out of business. Bob Smith started American Diesel to continue to supply parts and service for Ford Lehman engines. At some point he was joined by his son Brian.

Up until a year or two ago they also supplied a drop-in replacement for the FL120 using a then-currently made Ford of England diesel (don't know the model) which American Diesel marinized This engine developed 150 hp and required no modifications to anything to replace a crapped out Fl120. I have read that either this engine is no longer available or it can no longer be imported into the US anymore. In any event, the American Diesel drop-in replacement engine is no longer available. But they continue to sell parts for this and the older Ford Lehman engines as well as accessories like heat exchangers, upgrade raw water pumps to replace the flawed Lehman original, recovery coolant systems, and so on.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:33 AM   #36
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Capt Jerry

How many hours on the MTU pump body and what RPM is used for cruising. Was it the body, seals, or shaft that went down? Is it direct drive or belt driven?

Most MTU (and other engines ) owners carry a spare pump, too bad.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:57 PM   #37
Veteran Member

City: EASTHAMPTON, NEW YORK
Vessel Name: REFUGE
Vessel Model: Performance Trawler 35
You can buy impellers from Jabsco or Johnson Pump for your Lehman. Any marine store should be able to get them from their wholesale distributor.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:11 PM   #38

it had 2000 hrs on it,the shaft went bad,it is belt driven.1800 rpm.1000 dollars for the shaft. the seals went bad also and chewed up the shaft i guess
Old 06-12-2012, 04:17 PM   #39
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
I can't remember who told me but the same impeller fits both the Jabsco and the Johnson pump. An alternate to American diesel (AD) is Bomac marine
Bomac Marine- Ford Lehman Engines, Parts, Tanks, Phaser Generators and Service
I'm NOT dissing AD in the least. They ARE the authority on Lehmans and I have dealt with them on several occasions and will continue to do so in the future. That being said, I have also had good dealings with Bomac.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:28 AM   #40

Hi Bruce,Nice to see on this forum some people from our part of the world,i have a clipper 36 built in 1988 it's moored on lake macquarie near newcastle. I have been looking for parts for my 120hp ford lehman not easy to find in australia but i'm going to try fred warner in the states like you suggested in a previous post. Paul