Lehman 4D61 - Oil filler cap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DCatSea

Vessel Name
Mazboot
Vessel Make
Albin 27 FC
Does anyone know how to remove the oil filler cap on an '84 Lehman 4D61 diesel?

I have had my Lehman-powered Albin 27FC for a couple of months now, and all seems to be well. or at least nothing that some hard-core TLC and a multi-meter can't fix, EXCEPT for one newly-discovered irritant:

I need to top off the engine oil, and the oil filler cap is on top of the rocker arm cover. Problem - I assume that in order to put oil in the engine I need to remove the oil filler cap, BUT, I don't know how to do that (I know - this seems stupid, but I have English degrees, and although I can read the operator's manual I don't seem to be able to execute the removal of said oil filler cap).

Is there a secret to removing the oil filler cap on these engines? Anyone willing to share this knowledge?

The manual says "Another fill cap which leads directly to the sump is located on the sump near the front of the engine". Really! If you know where this, is I would love to hear from you.

If cap has not been removed in a long time, gasket might be bound making it hard to break loose. A little gentle wrench help might be needed. Should come off rotating CCW viewed from the top.

Absolutely red-faced now - brought in a diesel mechanic who quickly pushed and twisted and had the filler cap out in about 5 seconds. He understood, and didn't comment on my uselessness, and had the good grace to not laugh his ass off, at least until he got back to his workshop

How's that for penance!!!

Thanks to all who posted the "push and twist" advice (I put my inability to "push and twist" down to arthritis in my thumbs)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom