Lehman 135

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

isphh

A well maintained 135 with 9000 hours... What kind of life can I expect from this engine? Price range of a major overhaul or engine replacement? Thanks

It is all depends on the engine behavior, compression and so on. I know people that went through engine rebuild at half of your hours. New engine JD would run you around $30K -40K. For best answer call Bryan @ American Diesel.

Welcome aboard. Bob Smith told me that a properly maintained Lehman should run 20K hours. He said that the fishermen on the Chesapeake would bring them in around 20K for a preventive rebuild. But keet in mind that these guys really keep on top of the maintenance. It all depends on how the engine was taken care of and how it was run.

Guess the big question is what does "well maintained" and maybe just as important.. "well run" mean?

Every seller or broker will tell you the engines are well maintained.

Any boatowner that "maintains his engines well" will have a maintenance log.

The log should detail the maintenance the engine and all other systems received during ownership.

Go over the log and compare it to the service requirements to assess the owners diligence.

I would not buy a boat without some sort of maintenance log or a folder full of service recipts.

I have 6,200 hours on my 1976 Lehman. We cruise at 1,700 rpm.

Bolt on parts; pumps, exhaust elbow, starter, injectors, transmission, hoses etc have been replaced or rebuilt over the last 20 years and 3,000 hours. The block, head and injection pump have not been touched, other than a valve stem seal replacement.

I'm thinking the injection pump should be rebuilt in the next couple years. Some smoke and oily sheen in the exhaust water.

Last edited:
Easy enough to omit the time the cylinders were flooded and the corrective actions.

Like buying anything used...it is a bit about trust and paying a price based on nearly worst case scenario.

On a diesel engine, a leak down test would be more effective than a compression test.

I usually do both if I have the injectors out.

I also do a cylinder deactivation test once a year by loosening the injection pipe nuts, one at a time and listen for a dead cylinder.

Correct....there are methods to help with engine health...logs.....who is willing to bet on them?

If you get a log book for the last decade or two , and engine oil sample results are in an envelope glued to the back cover.

I would take the chance the engine was reasonably maintained.

Simplest is a quick check of engine stores to see correct oil and filter spares.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom