Lehman 120 R/Water Pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BruceK

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Sojourn
Vessel Make
Integrity 386
I imported two replacement updated Lehman 120 raw water pumps from American Diesel. USD $495 each, plus shipping.
Here`s a pic of the hefty looking Johnson pump units, mated to AD parts, showing both ends plus accompanying Service Bulletin. I painted the bits AD undercoated, maybe I should have painted everything, I might yet. Fitting involves cementing a pin (supplied)into the block to close off an oil supply, I`m going to have the mechanic fit them.

Attachments

• IMG_0394.jpg
    IMG_0394.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_0395.jpg
    IMG_0395.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 133
We put Johnson pumps on our two FL120s some ten years ago or more. They are one of the four best improvements one can make to an FL120. We went with the larger 1" pump on Bob Smith's and our diesel shop's advice rather than the standard 3/4" pump. The 1" pump is used on the FL135 but it fits the FL120 just fine. It gives a higher water flow rate which significantly lowers the operating temperature of the transmissions.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 146
I imported two replacement updated Lehman 120 raw water pumps from American Diesel. USD $495 each, plus shipping.
Here`s a pic of the hefty looking Johnson pump units, mated to AD parts, showing both ends plus accompanying Service Bulletin. I painted the bits AD undercoated, maybe I should have painted everything, I might yet. Fitting involves cementing a pin (supplied)into the block to close off an oil supply, I`m going to have the mechanic fit them.

Nice work! The pictures always make a great post.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

i need a service and parts manual for my ford Lehmans 120 diesel,can anybody direct me

We put Johnson pumps on our two FL120s some ten years ago or more. They are one of the four best improvements one can make to an FL120. We went with the larger 1" pump on Bob Smith's and our diesel shop's advice rather than the standard 3/4" pump. The 1" pump is used on the FL135 but it fits the FL120 just fine. It gives a higher water flow rate which significantly lowers the operating temperature of the transmissions.

Marin

One of friends a retired professor has the same engines and although his do not run hot they run on the warm side this may be a fix for him

Cool I think Psnead has those manuals not sure what year but saw several years back on another forum he had them

The 1" pumps do not alter the operating temperature of the engine because that is controlled by the thermostat. The higher volume of raw water through the transmission cooler does lower the temperature of the transmission, however.

Bill, what are the speed seals?

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Bruce, consider adding speed seals to the pumps.
Thanks, good thought.
coolman, a Lehman engine book, including exploded parts diagrams and lists, came with my boat. I don`t like your chances of finding one, but suggest you ask briansmithadc@aol.com, American Diesel Corp, the effective successors to Lehman for help. Bob Smith was VP of Lehman and wrote the intro in my engine book. Some parts are original Ford base engine parts, others are the Lehman marinizing parts, you can get some Ford parts from tractor dealers, the base engine was used in many trucks tractors etc.

coolman - American Diesel (Bob Smith and son) in Virginia. (americandieseldorp DOT COM) They can provide you with anything you need for the Lehman.

All the manuals for the FL120 are on the Grand Banks owners forum. I believe one has to be a member to access them. Our boat came with all the original manuals for the engine (operating, shop, and parts manuals) plus an original operating manual for the Ford of England Dorset diesel which is the base engine for the FL120.

FYI, in spite of what the FL 120 book says, Bob Smith says to adjust the valves on the 120 cold. The head of the 135 is the same as the 120. Learned this at his class.

Dan

FYI, in spite of what the FL 120 book says, Bob Smith says to adjust the valves on the 120 cold. s.

Our Ford of England shop manual for the Ford Dorset engine (base engine for the FL120) specifies that when the engine is reassembled after a teardown for overhaul the valve clearances should be initially set with the engine cold. However, the manual goes on to say that the clearances should checked again and readjusted if necessary with the engine at its normal operating temperature. I would be inclined to follow Ford's service specifications rather than Bob's.

Back
Top Bottom