1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Old 01-15-2015, 03:33 AM   #63
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
That's the reason that the suggestion was made to pull the injectors and peep inside with a laparoscope, looking for stuff just like that. Look in number 6 first, that's the one that usually bakes.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:51 AM   #64
Veteran Member

City: Taunton, Mass.
Vessel Name: Rise & Shine
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
Forkliftt: I will bet you dollars to donuts that engine had been overheated. That's the cause nine times out of ten when I see that kind of damage. The aluminum piston expands with temperature more than the cast iron block, and once the piston grows, it creates additional friction, which makes it grow more, which makes more friction until it siezes.

Naturally, one cylinder will go before the others, but the rest couldn't have been far behind.

An overheat this serious is normally due to lack of coolant. If the system is full, boiling coolant usually prevents damage this serious.

With respect to the old Lehman, I'd pull the head and have a look at all the cylinders. It'll only cost you a head gasket set and a morning, those engines are pretty simple and the head can be yanked without lifting the engine off the mounts. Personally, I question the whole story about a 0.005" undersize piston being installed. Normal piston-to-wall clearance is on the order of .002 or .003, so adding .005 to what it already had would not be something a professional should do. If there were a problem with piston-to-wall clearance, then it should have been addressed correctly, not Mickey-Moused with throwing an undersize piston in.

Once you have the head off, then you can check the piston-to-wall clearance with a feeler gauge. If this "put in a .005 under piston" story is true, you'll be able to get a .004 or .005 feeler gauge in between the piston and the wall, down to the top ring. It's not a great way of gauging piston fit, but it will tell you if there's truth to this story.

That oil analysis ain't great - high aluminum, copper and iron spells trouble to me.

GOOD LUCK!

JS
Driftless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 01:54 PM   #65
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
JS- I'd take you up on that bet- but only to get a shot at some of your dollars. Come to think of it- I really like donuts a LOT- think I better pass😎❗️

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 06-01-2015, 01:06 PM   #66
Veteran Member

City: Corona
Vessel Name: SCRAMBLER
Vessel Model: 1974 Grand Banks 32 #536
Update

First off I want to thank everyone for all the help. I pulled the head off and had galling in #6 cylinder. All the pistons were .020 over #6 was not .015 ? Now the fun begins. A frame engine up and on a engine stand in the small salon of my trawler. Pulled all six pistons out and 1 thru 5 looked good. Rod bearing looked new and crank journals look good. Number 6 piston was slapping when it was at the lowest point in the cylinder and the galling. Five sets of rings .020 over one new piston .030 and rings. Hire Dan with Engine Savers and he bores #6 .030 with a portable bore bar in the boat and hones all six cylinders. I put it back together and have 15 hours on it and it is running good. Will be re torquing the head bolts in the next few days.

Hopefully all the posts will help someone else out. Thanks, Mike
Busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 04:31 PM   #67
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Great news!! Thanks for keeping us in the loop!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 06-01-2015, 07:41 PM   #68
Guru

Great you found the exact issue, and the repair sounds as economic and sensible as it can be. Good luck, happy confident cruising.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:09 PM   #69
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Good news and way to put a wrench at it!

Many smiles ahead.
SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:18 PM   #70
Guru

City: kemah
Not to be odd man out, but what the heck.

It was mentioned a couple of times that #6 has a cooling issue on lehmans, but I didnt see anything to chase that as a potential issue. It would really bite to have to redo this repair too 6 months down the road.
what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 10:29 PM   #71
Veteran Member

Barnacles, I hear you and know I am taking a risk but I did all this for under two boat dollars. This includes new piston, six sets of rings, upper gasket set, exhaust elbow, temp sending switch, thermostat, expansion tank cap mod with over flow tank and labor for boring bar. From what I can gather the damage was heat related. My temp sending switch is located on the side of the expansion tank and during coolant loss it is useless. I put the new switch on a tee and moved it down on the block where coolant feeds the water heater. I pulled the freeze plug off by #6 and inspected coolant passage around cylinder wall, it looked fair but cleaned it up just to be safe. I inspected raw water supply and cleaned up heat exchanger, both were good. Trans and oil coolers are new. Engine temp is 180 under load @1700 RPM and 173-180 with gun @ sending unit on head. I plan to take an oil sample after 70+ hours.

Two heads are better than one and this is all my brain could muster up.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:06 AM   #72

City: Astoria
Vessel Name: Florence A
Vessel Model: 47' Sutton
Based on my experience I think you have a very good chance of a successful repair. Hand honing is never as good as a hole honed by machine but it still works. If the block was clean inside the water passage around 6 then it should be just fine.
BryanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 11:44 PM   #73
Veteran Member

City: Channel Islands
Hello Buster - Do you have any details about how you did this "A frame engine up and on a engine stand in the small salon of my trawler. "

I saw your post in response to my own thread about a bad #6 and just noticed your post here today. I'm stuck at how to go about getting the engine up and on an engine stand in my salon. I would love to hear how you did it. Ive already called engine savers I just need to figure out how to get the engine up. I also want to replace my engine mounts. Also did you do your own alignment after resetting the engine?
mplangley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 01:56 PM   #74
Veteran Member

First remove cylinder head this will reduce weight and allow you to get block higher off the floor. Make sure you use a engine stand that can handle the weight and length of the block. Build a truss to support the floor I used 6 2x4 to help support the floor. You will have more weight on the floor than it was engineered for. I used 2 4x4 ten feet long with 1 foot 4x4 attached at the ends to lift the ten foot section 4 inches off the floor. The A frame will go on top of the ten foot 4x4. Now when you lift the block out you will have room to put the floor panels back down. You are welcome to use my A frame, hoist, engine stand and lifting plate for block. I live in Corona.
Old 06-19-2016, 02:04 PM   #75
Veteran Member

Remove transmission before removing block
Old 06-20-2016, 07:06 AM   #76
FF
Guru

IF I had an engine that suffered from an overheat , I think extra instrumentation would be in order.

There are devices that will alarm if the cooling sea water flow stops .

A temp sender in the sea water discharge line , before the exhaust , could show higher water temperature.

Remember over 140F the salt is coming out of sea water , slowly blocking any heat exchanger.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote