Old 12-11-2014, 08:42 AM   #41
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Piston slap can be tolerated in many cases. There is a piston skirt to bore tolerance that on some can be pretty generous. Since the #6 tends to run hot, and aluminum expands faster than iron, running tight clearances is a recipe for piston seizure. On some engines I build, I like to go on the sloppy side of the tolerance to avoid scuffing and seizure.

I don't know the clearance tolerance for the ford, but 0.005" extra may be ok especially if previous problem was seizure.

If noise goes away or diminishes once warm, can't see any harm in just running it. Probably won't wear much faster than normal.

Ski in NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 10:24 AM   #42
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
NWboater wrote;
"Besides, there is nothing like extra horsepower for running against a 3-knot current or having the "umph" to turn your bow into a 20 knot head wind."
Never never have I done any of that w my full displacement 30' Willard. I bucked 40 knot winds and 7' seas for hours along Texada Is and ran at 2 to 3 knots bucking the tide in Knight Inlet. In heavy going I've always reduced power 300rpm ... never increased it. There may be a need or want for extra power but I've not found that need w the Willard. In fact I could have done everything I've done w the W30 on 5hp less.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 08:49 PM   #43

City: Whidbey Island WA
Vessel Name: MV Kika
Vessel Model: Selene 47 Ocean Trawler
Manyboats, seems you have all the answers.
nwboater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 11:46 PM   #44
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Piston slap can be tolerated in many cases.....
I don't know the clearance tolerance for the ford, but 0.005" extra may be ok especially if previous problem was seizure.
If noise goes away or diminishes once warm, can't see any harm in just running it. Probably won't wear much faster than normal.
Looks like the old slapper is good to go.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 11:06 AM   #45
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Looks like the old slapper is good to go.
Great one Bruce
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 11:08 AM   #46
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
nwboater,
It's my opinion and mostly my observation.
And it applies more to FD than others.
Another opinion is that the need for extra power comes directly from our automotive culture where we have and use (mostly or to a great extent) a great deal of extra power. I just bought a VW Jetta and it definitely has considerably more power than I will probably use other than accelerating very hard just for the fun of it. And of course the need for more goes far beyond HP. Heat, money or the excess in capability of your flashlight or your i-pad, anchor and w just about everything we seem to strive for excess.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 11:54 AM   #47

City: Portsmouth, NH
Vessel Name: Misfit Toy
Vessel Model: 79' Mainship 34 MKI
Did you ever swap injectors around? You may have an injector (or pump) injecting too early in that cylinder causing some clatter. If its the injector, swapping it to say #1 may cause the noise to follow. That would indicate the problem is with the injector and not the piston (or IP).

I would assume the oil report would show physical internal wear and rule the injection system causing the issue.
Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 11:58 AM   #48
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
nwboater,
It's my opinion and mostly my observation.
And it applies more to FD than others.
Another opinion is that the need for extra power comes directly from our automotive culture where we have and use (mostly or to a great extent) a great deal of extra power. I just bought a VW Jetta and it definitely has considerably more power than I will probably use other than accelerating very hard just for the fun of it. And of course the need for more goes far beyond HP. Heat, money or the excess in capability of your flashlight or your i-pad, anchor and w just about everything we seem to strive for excess.

Thats because just enough can get you into trouble and having a bit in reserve for the unexpected can be a very good thing.

How would you like to fly with me if I always landed with less then a gallon of fuel remaining in my tank? Hey we had enough.

Or that time you misjudged the rate of closer of the truck while entering the highway and your engine had a reserve of horsepower to prevent a wreck.

Over the years our survival instinct has tough us that it is better to hunt saber toothed lions with more folks then we really need.
SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 12:16 PM   #49

City: Portsmouth, NH
Vessel Name: Misfit Toy
Vessel Model: 79' Mainship 34 MKI
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTEDAVIS View Post
How would you like to fly with me if I always landed with less then a gallon of fuel remaining in my tank?
See I take great offense to this. My instructor always taught me "any landing you walk away from is a good one!"
Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 01:05 PM   #50
Veteran Member

City: Corona
Vessel Name: SCRAMBLER
Vessel Model: 1974 Grand Banks 32 #536
Skinny, I am waiting for the oil analysis and the expert mechanic before moving forward. I just don't have the knowledge to distinguish a fuel knock from a piston slap. I'm leaning towards the slap because of the smaller piston and the knock fades as the engine comes up to temp? Mike
Busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 06:36 PM   #51
Guru

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Heads Up
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
Hang in there Mike.
Capthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 11:54 PM   #52
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busterbrown View Post
Skinny, I am waiting for the oil analysis and the expert mechanic before moving forward. I just don't have the knowledge to distinguish a fuel knock from a piston slap. I'm leaning towards the slap because of the smaller piston and the knock fades as the engine comes up to temp? Mike

I'm interested to see what the oil analysis has to say. I would think "piston slap" would show elevated aluminum PPM due to piston wear. I've seen wrist pin bushing wear cause a significant knock- but I would think the prior repair attempts would have addressed this (I assume it uses a floating wrist pin).

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 12-14-2014, 11:25 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Oil Report
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	201.6 KB
ID:	35376  
Old 12-15-2014, 12:24 AM   #54
Guru

That's not looking great. My understanding is that the values represented are in parts per million. The normal average value is not shown, but the lab certainly thinks the aluminum (piston), iron (cylinder liner), chrome (rings) and tin (could be rod, main or cam bearings) are elevated. So much for piston slap- as in noise. To me, this clearly shows wear and if you are considering repairing this engine, the sooner the better. Pre failure.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 12-15-2014, 01:03 AM   #55

City: Astoria
Vessel Name: Florence A
Vessel Model: 47' Sutton
For an engine with 90 hours since rebuild of one hole I don't find the numbers too surprising. If the hone job was done with the type of hone I suspect then the wall finish would be of the sort that would have to "break in" and iron and chromium would be expected. The aluminum is also to be expected as the piston is a loose fit in the hole. Also, it would seem to me that if the hole was originally bored .020 over and then honed after the seizure of the second piston that it is very likely to be over the .020 so we could be talking about a very loose fit.
The bearing metal (tin, copper) is higher than I would like to see but...
Tin will show after a rebuild and copper, well might be this bearing might be other bearings no way to tell for sure which bearing.
All in all (with out hearing it run) I would think that your choices are kind of like this:
1. Run it and see if the noise gets worse or stays the same and sample the oil every 100 hours to try an establish a trend. I think a failure is possible ( the piston may seize again) but not all that likely. You limp home if it does quit.

Option 2- pull it down now, and go through it again or replace it with a different engine either used or rebuilt ( this would assume that something is so wrong with this one that it could not be repaired). Either way seems like an engine overhaul is very possibly in your future.

I think I would be tempted (trying to put myself in your place) to run it Budget also comes into this, of course.
It either keeps running ( you win) or it dies and you rebuild it. Of course, you have to decide if that is going to stress you too much to live with. Some people can live with the nagging worry and others can not.
BryanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:14 PM   #56
Veteran Member

The mechanic looked and ran the engine. BryanF you called it, the mechanic said the oil report is not as bad as it looks and he has worked on hundreds of these engines and some make more noise than others. Because the knock fades away as the engine grows and runs smooth under load just run it. Take an oil sample at 100 hours and call him with the results. Thanks everyone for all the input. Mike
Old 01-02-2015, 10:50 PM   #57
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
A single, unique oil analysis is a waste of time. You need trends. Look in the holes and look for damage. None visible? Carry on.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:17 PM   #58
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busterbrown View Post
The mechanic looked and ran the engine. BryanF you called it, the mechanic said the oil report is not as bad as it looks and he has worked on hundreds of these engines and some make more noise than others. Because the knock fades away as the engine grows and runs smooth under load just run it. Take an oil sample at 100 hours and call him with the results. Thanks everyone for all the input. Mike

Glad to hear the good news. Keep us posted after the next sample.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 01-03-2015, 10:49 PM   #59
Veteran Member

Thanks, Steve will do I should be able to put another hundred hours on her by July. Mike
Old 01-14-2015, 09:14 PM   #60
Guru

BusterBrown,
Just for S and G
I'm sure this doesn't apply to your engine at all- but am going to post a couple of pictures and hopefully a short video of a #1 piston we pulled today in a mid '80s Hyster forklift with a 192 Ford Industrial GAS 4 cylinder engine. Compression was 130-150 all 4 holes.
The customer does most of their own maintenance (or non maintenance) and none of my guys actually ever remembers hearing it run in the past. The engine had seized- and the owner and I agreed to lift the machine, pull the pan and determine if it could be repaired low dollar, as in polish the rod journal and roll in new bearings. Turned out #1 was seized, and loosening the rod cap allowed us to turn the crankshaft. The rod bearing inserts had not "spun" inside the connecting rod, and the rod journal was actually in pretty good shape. It was a little puzzling- the oil pump feeds from the center of the crankshaft yet #4 rod bearings and the rear main journal did not look oil starved (we assumed it had run out of oil). Damn this is a long story. My thumb's getting tired.
Anyway, Polish one rod journal, new rod/ main bearings- torqued, new lube filter and fill with oil. Started.
The engine had a definite knock. Pulling the #1 plug wire (effectively taking the compression load off of the cylinder) did not quiet it.
Holy cow- I think we have some "piston slap" going on!!
My guy Ben pulled the pan again, removed the head, and this is what we saw. Ugly...
We have piston gaulding (imagine THAT oil sample), I suspect piston slap, and extreme wear on the connecting rod piston pin bushing (video if it makes it). I'm not sure why the piston originally began to seize, but I believe the rod bearing and wrist pin failures were a result of it. Thought some of you might get a kick out of the pictures. Sorry, no luck with video so grabbed a screen shot. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1421287963.122696.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	36396Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1421287978.358695.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	36397Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1421288045.846527.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	36398