Old 05-28-2019, 09:49 AM   #1

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Name: Agnus Dei
Vessel Model: 36' Shin Shing
Lehman 120 oil leaks

Hi All,

I know I've asked you before about oil leaks. I put a new oil pad in the drip tray below the engine and in several places I have oil spots (2-3" in diameter), about 3 of them AND I have oil accumulated on the starboard rear engine mount leg of the motor (where the data plate is). Shine a flashlight at the bottom of the head and I see shiny. Touch it with a clean paper towel... it's oil. I'm not loosing any antifreeze, exhaust color is like it always is. I also have streaks from the head to the oil pan say 7 or 8 of them in various places on the block. Idles and runs like a champ (never above 1800 RPM).

Anyone else ever had this on their Lehman? Input?

Dave

Old 05-28-2019, 10:20 AM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. DE. Easiest thing to try is snug down your valve cover. NOT tight, snug. You may have to replace the gasket. If so, make sure the cover is not deformed where the screw holes are. Perhaps a previous owner was a bit too exuberant in fastening down the cover.

Old 05-28-2019, 10:22 AM   #3

City: San Diego, CA
I had the same problem. It is most likely coming from the valve cover. Try tightening the large screws holding the valve cover down. Mine work loose every so often.
525cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 10:24 AM   #4
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
While the valve cover is off take a straight edge and make sure it is flat so it will seal with the new gasket. If it has been over tightened in the past it may have deformed.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 10:29 AM   #5
Enigma

Old 05-30-2019, 06:53 AM   #6

City: Anacortes
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: Shin Shing, Eagle 35'
I have the same thing on starboard aft motor mount. Changed valve cover gasket with same result. I tried to straighten it but itís a big beast and PO must have cranked them down a bit.
Jbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 07:08 AM   #7
Guru

City: ACIW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Agree about valve cover gasket and possibly a seal where one or more injector lines go into the head.

My other dips were/are from sender's on the port side or accumulated oil in the air filter.

None are really anything to worry about. Even the rear main has to leak a lot before many mechs will say change it.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 08:46 AM   #8
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Blue Heaven
Vessel Model: Albin 43 classic double cabin, twin 135 Lehmans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_E View Post
Hi All,

I know I've asked you before about oil leaks. I put a new oil pad in the drip tray below the engine and in several places I have oil spots (2-3" in diameter), about 3 of them AND I have oil accumulated on the starboard rear engine mount leg of the motor (where the data plate is). Shine a flashlight at the bottom of the head and I see shiny. Touch it with a clean paper towel... it's oil. I'm not loosing any antifreeze, exhaust color is like it always is. I also have streaks from the head to the oil pan say 7 or 8 of them in various places on the block. Idles and runs like a champ (never above 1800 RPM).

Anyone else ever had this on their Lehman? Input?

Dave

Without using gasket sealant which I don't really recommend, I think *everyone* has this on their Lehmans in varying degrees. Its almost surely from the valve cover gasket. Its old school - old style which is very hard to get completely leak free even with a new gasket. If they haven't been replaced lately I would start with a new gasket. First check the valve cover for "dents" around the screws from previous overtightening. If there are dents, these need to be carefully "massaged" out, then install a new gasket and carefully tighten the valve covers - not too tight.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 09:28 AM   #9

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
There are long steel valve cover hold downs available at the auto parts store - see picture.
They are available in several shapes.

I use those on my Lehman valve covers to spread the pressure to a larger area. Some grinding of the holdown may be required to get the holdowns to fit around the shape of the valve cover.

Use a new gasket with these and tighten evenly and no more leaking valve cover. I do use a gasket sealant to glue the gasket to the valve cover only to keep the gasket from moving around during tightning.

Lehmans are leaky engines.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10289739_prf_66002_pri_larg.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	3.3 KB
ID:	89484  
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 09:39 AM   #10
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. s. That's exactly what I am going to install but minus the sealant. I haven't had any trouble with the gasket moving around (yet).

I did purchase some UV oil tracing stuff which I've yet to employ but it's on "the list".

https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/b/c...5/27fbee18b299
Old 05-30-2019, 10:01 AM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchace View Post
Without using gasket sealant which I don't really recommend, I think *everyone* has this on their Lehmans in varying degrees. Its almost surely from the valve cover gasket. Its old school - old style which is very hard to get completely leak free even with a new gasket. If they haven't been replaced lately I would start with a new gasket. First check the valve cover for "dents" around the screws from previous overtightening. If there are dents, these need to be carefully "massaged" out, then install a new gasket and carefully tighten the valve covers - not too tight.
Ken
I know I can tighten mine annually, and by tighten I mean with a small screwdriver trying not to dent the holes.
I use the round part of a ball peen hammer to "un-dent" the holes.
The spreader "washer" is a good idea, I may but some.
Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 11:06 AM   #12
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
Also, take a close look at the mounting for your fuel lift pump. It mounts with 2 bolts that are not very well placed. Oil coming out of there usually goes up and looks like a leaky valve cover. Really. A new gasket or sealer works well. Also those 6 seals that press against the block where the injectors enter are also an issue.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:13 AM   #13
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Blue Heaven
Vessel Model: Albin 43 classic double cabin, twin 135 Lehmans
Quote:
Originally Posted by syjos View Post
There are long steel valve cover hold downs available at the auto parts store - see picture.
They are available in several shapes.

I use those on my Lehman valve covers to spread the pressure to a larger area. Some grinding of the holdown may be required to get the holdowns to fit around the shape of the valve cover.

Use a new gasket with these and tighten evenly and no more leaking valve cover. I do use a gasket sealant to glue the gasket to the valve cover only to keep the gasket from moving around during tightning.

Lehmans are leaky engines.

Those are a great idea. I think I'll look into them.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 12:16 PM   #14
Veteran Member

City: Va Beach
Vessel Name: SeaShell
Vessel Model: 1974 Marine Trader 34 Sedan
Search Valce Cover Hold Downs on Amazon. Plenty to choose from

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=valve+cov...b_sb_ss_i_6_11
SeaBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 12:45 PM   #15
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
People who own old British cars have been experiencing oil leaks for about 100 years.
So why’s it so objectionable on a boat.

Now that I’ve had my snarky say I had an oil leak on my new (basically) engine and finally figured out where it was coming from. Hasn’t leaked since I took out the offending hardware. But it’s not an old British engine.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 03:58 PM   #16

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Name: Agnus Dei
Vessel Model: 36' Shin Shing
OK, too many answers all saying the same thing. I'm going to take the cover off this weekend, check for flat surfaces, install a new gasket. Let you know what I find.
Old 05-30-2019, 04:12 PM   #17
Guru

City: Full Time Cruising East Coast
Vessel Name: Meridian
Vessel Model: Krogen-42
A note regarding oil leaking at the bottom of the bell housing. Brian said it is rarely the rear seal but rather a leak around the freeze plug at the end of the cam shaft.
KK-42097
meridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 04:19 PM   #18
Guru

City: ACIW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
While I respect Brian, there are more than a few owners and confirmed by mechanics that have had rear seal leaks. I currently have one.

They are aggrivated by overfilling with oil which is part of the hub bub over proper oil level.

How does a freeze plug that only seals for coolant produce an oil leak?
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 04:28 PM   #19
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
FL's can leak oil if blowby is high and the little rocker cover vent gets overwhelmed by high flow, pressurizing crankcase. Nobody wants a lot of blowby, that means there is leakage past rings, but that is a tough nut of an engine and even with blowby it can serve well. On a couple I have welded in a larger fitting on rocker cover for blowby and the leaks basically went away. Rear seal, even if old, does ok as long as crankcase is not pressurized.

Even with low blowby, some leak a bit. Easy fix: Wipe it up.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 03:40 AM   #20
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_E View Post
OK, too many answers all saying the same thing. I'm going to take the cover off this weekend, check for flat surfaces, install a new gasket. Let you know what I find.
Make sure you use a fresh gasket. I recently replaced a leaking gasket with one that was aboard the boat when I bought it five years ago. And who knows how long it was on board before that. Anyway, it leaked like a sieve. That old orkk was too hard to compress enough to provide a good seal. A fresh gasket from American Diesel solved the leaking. To use a sealant is a decades old debate among mechanics, both on boats and vehicles. I used a modest amount of sealant. No leaks. I have no idea of whether I would have gotten a good seal without a sealant. And, I don't care. I only care that my valve cover no longer leaks. By the way, my leak was bad enough that, somehow, some way, the oil found its way along the underside of the bell housing and transmission to the shaft flange. Yup, that rotating assembly would sling that oil and make a mess. Engines are FL 120s.

catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote