Lehman 120 Oil Cooler Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hobbystuff

Vessel Name
Waves of Grace
Vessel Make
Universal 36
Quick question for y'all.

I purchased new oil coolers for my Lehman and have had conflicting advice on whether or not to use any type of thread sealer on the oil line adapters where they thread into the cooler.

I'm talking about the little brass fitting where it threads into the oil cooler itself, not the end that the actual oil line threads on to.

Was told yes and no when I asked around, so which is it?

Cheers.

Use Teflon tape on tapered threads, never on straight threads. For oil or fuel etc., use the yellow tape.

i would use it. I can't speak specifically to if you NEED it or not but i can tell you that if you are careful and don't get any in the openings it will not hurt anything and it will make it easy to remove should the need arise.

I think they are flare fittings...are they? If so... no tape or sealer is usually recommended...but plenty of people use either /or and if careful...no harm is done.

I think they are flare fittings...are they? .

The one I have here at home is NPT thread (pipe thread).
I would use teflon tape or paste. When I put teflon tape on oil or fuel fittings I make sure to leave the first two threads bare so as not to get the tape into the medium.
You could also use something like Loctite 242, etc.

Thanks for the input, they are tapered threads so my gut was telling me to put some type of sealer on them.

Back to my winter project....

-- Ryan

Sealant on tapered threads= yes
As important, use two wrenches so as not to kink the fittings which are just soldered into the thin copper shell. Squeeze the wrenches to each other 1/8 turn at a time.

As important, use two wrenches so as not to kink the fittings which are just soldered into the thin copper shell. Squeeze the wrenches to each other 1/8 turn at a time.

That is a brilliant bit of advice, I hadn't even considered that possibility.

Thanks!

I work with a lot of heavy duty mechanics. All journey men. To a man they say never use Teflon tape on any fuel fitting. If you must, use pipe dope. Locktite Teflon paste. It comes in a white squeeze tube.

Kinda like never use a screwdriver for anything but driving a screw...good advice but fot the amateur who doesn't always have the right stuff in the tool bag...

As long as there a filter between the fitting and a precision part of the engine I don't see a huge issue, especially if you are careful with the amount, and wrapping of the tape.

I work with a lot of heavy duty mechanics. All journey men. To a man they say never use Teflon tape on any fuel fitting. If you must, use pipe dope. Locktite Teflon paste. It comes in a white squeeze tube.

I have had great luck with Loctite 745. Full disclosure, my wife is the head of eBusiness there.

If you call the tech dept. a live person will answer the phone and give expert advise for your intended use.

Rob

Back
Top Bottom