Old 01-11-2014, 08:43 AM   #1

City: Houston, TX
Vessel Name: Good Vibrations
Vessel Model: Grand Banks Classic 42
LEHMAN 120 Beginner Questions

I'm on the learning curve with my 2 Lehman 120s in recently purchased GB42. I know about Racor filters, fuel lift pumps and how to change oil/filters in my engines. I also got copy of Operation Manual from the GB Forum site. I wanted to attend next month's Lehman workshop in Lake Park but class is full. So, here are a few questions (4) that I have:
1. Frequency for changing transmission oil?
2. Is it important to have temp sensor or gauge for transmission?
3. Is it crucial to check torque of head bolts every 400 hrs for normally aspirated Lehmans or just turbo charged?
4. My next maintenance step is changing oil in Simms injector pump reservoir. I've already seen some great posts on this. I understand where the drain plug is, where the "fill level" plug is on right side facing sump, but is the actual "fill plug" on top, the very first plug forward of injector lines? Mine is circular with a slothead. Just after is another plug-looking with a white cylindrical extended plastic cap with a tip projection.
JESSEDIVER49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:49 AM   #2
Veteran Member

City: Ventura, CA
Vessel Name: Windfall
Vessel Model: 2006 Camano 41
simms pump

Yes, the fill hole is the one with the slot.

Dan
Dan Cahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:00 AM   #3

thanks Dan and others for speedy replies!
Old 01-11-2014, 11:18 AM   #4
Veteran Member

manuals

The GrandBanksOwners.com forum has a full set of manuals for your boat and engines.

Dan
Old 01-11-2014, 02:13 PM   #5
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by JESSEDIVER49 View Post
I'm on the learning curve with my 2 Lehman 120s in recently purchased GB42. I know about Racor filters, fuel lift pumps and how to change oil/filters in my engines. I also got copy of Operation Manual from the GB Forum site. I wanted to attend next month's Lehman workshop in Lake Park but class is full. So, here are a few questions (4) that I have:
1. Frequency for changing transmission oil? whenever you want....some like yearly some maybe every 5....I go with the every 3 years, or 500 hours concept
2. Is it important to have temp sensor or gauge for transmission? no but nice
3. Is it crucial to check torque of head bolts every 400 hrs for normally aspirated Lehmans or just turbo charged? split debate..some of us think that is way too often and you risk bigger problems...better to wait till 1000 and just pull the head and do all other associated maintenance at this interval...injectors, cheak head and cylinders, etc....
4. My next maintenance step is changing oil in Simms injector pump reservoir. I've already seen some great posts on this. I understand where the drain plug is, where the "fill level" plug is on right side facing sump, but is the actual "fill plug" on top, the very first plug forward of injector lines? Mine is circular with a slothead. Just after is another plug-looking with a white cylindrical extended plastic cap with a tip projection. it's the slotted round or in my case hexagonal one....
good luck!
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 04:30 PM   #6
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
Just a note on the Simms pump - make sure you can get the filler open before you drain it. The case is very soft, do not over torque the drains. I would not even take out the level plug, just measure the quantity of oil you need. You can get an adapter for the drain to take an ice maker valve; that saves the opening and closing. Catch the oil with a ziplock. There are other "hacks" too, when you have the time...
Xsbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:50 PM   #7
Guru

City: Full Time Cruising East Coast
Vessel Name: Meridian
Vessel Model: Krogen-42
It's 14oz to fill the Simms
KK-42097
meridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:27 PM   #8

120 Ford Lehman Simms Maintenance

Again,
thanks for all the good info on the Simms. My boat is a 1984. Today I started the Simms maintenance process - had no problem unscrewing the fill hole on top but when I tried to unscrew the 13mm bolts on bottom drain and on side overflow, using a socketed wrench with a 5-6 " handle, each bolt was too tight to loosen. Before using a wrench with longer handle and better leverage and risk "ringing off" the head of a bolt, I thought I'd check this out with all the experts to see if there is something else I should do before applying more muscle to loosening these bolts. Same situation for both engines. Fill screw on each loosen with no problem. Others are super tight. Also, previously I've had to loosen fuel bleeder bolts to prime injectors and purge out air bubbles and I used same 13mm socketed wrench to loosen and re-tighten with no problem.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:32 PM   #9
Veteran Member

simms pump

should be a 1/2 in wrench.

Dan
Old 01-26-2014, 08:38 AM   #10
LWW
Veteran Member

City: Richmond Va
13mm = 1/2"
LWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 08:58 AM   #11

SIMMS ON LEHMAN 120s

Quote:
Originally Posted by JESSEDIVER49 View Post
Again,
thanks for all the good info on the Simms. My boat is a 1984. Today I started the Simms maintenance process - had no problem unscrewing the fill hole on top but when I tried to unscrew the 13mm bolts on bottom drain and on side overflow, using a socketed wrench with a 5-6 " handle, each bolt was too tight to loosen. Before using a wrench with longer handle and better leverage and risk "ringing off" the head of a bolt, I thought I'd check this out with all the experts to see if there is something else I should do before applying more muscle to loosening these bolts. Same situation for both engines. Fill screw on each loosen with no problem. Others are super tight. Also, previously I've had to loosen fuel bleeder bolts to prime injectors and purge out air bubbles and I used same 13mm socketed wrench to loosen and re-tighten with no problem.

Update: I was able to free up the plugs using PB Blaster. Great product and recommendation! I also took advice to use a torque wrench to limit amount of torque on loosening. Plugs broke loose at less than 30 ft-lb.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:51 PM   #12
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
Here is some excellent advice for you Lehman owners, stolen shamelessly from the GB site:
Sure Fred, just put an M8-1 to 1/8 pipe fitting in the bottom in place of the drain plug. Then put a 90 degree ice maker needle valve in the fitting with a 12" piece of ice maker tubing on it.

When ready to change the oil in the pump and with the engine hot, put the tubing end in a catch container, I use an old 1 qt. oil bottle, open the valve and the oil drains right into the bottle. Take the fill cap out to aid in oil flow.

Tighten the valve back closed, refill with oil, either a measured amount or to the bottom of the level hole and you're ready to go, no muss, no fuss.

This plan also works with pumps that have partially stripped threads as the fitting can be JB Welded into the hole, epoxied into the hole, or permatexed into the hole as fits your particular situation. Since it never again needs to come out it can be a permanent fix.

Now the bad part. Nobody makes an M8-1 to 1/8 pipe fitting. At least I've never been able to find one. So, I make them on my home hobby lathe. There have been about 30 put into use in the last 4 years that I know about with no complaints yet.

Ken

Drain valve 002.JPG
Description:
Filesize: 1.56 MB
Viewed: 3 Time(s)
Xsbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:50 AM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Now the bad part. Nobody makes an M8-1 to 1/8 pipe fitting. At least I've never been able to find one. So, I make them on my home hobby lathe. There have been about 30 put into use in the last 4 years that I know about with no complaints yet.
McMaster-Carr lists one.
jleonard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:54 AM   #14

City: Powell River
Vessel Name: Griz
Vessel Model: Perma-Glas
120HP Lehman runs rough below 1000RPM

I recently purchased a 38' Permaglas trawler that has a 120HP Lehman and the engine runs rough below 1000 rpm. Would it cause a problem to run the engine for long periods of time below 1000 rpm or is there a solution to make it run smoother. Would like to be able to troll for salmon! Thanks.
Rheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:26 AM   #15
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
psneeld wrote;

"split debate..some of us think that is way too often and you risk bigger problems...better to wait till 1000 and just pull the head and do all other associated maintenance at this interval...injectors, cheak head and cylinders, etc...."

If I was buying a new engine and the sales guy said it may be a good idea to R7R the head at 1000hrs I'd walk right out.

I've got about 1000hrs on my 10 yr old Mitsu and I'm not EVEN thinking of pulling the head.

By the way w your experience what bad things can happen while re torquing head studs. All I can think of is stuck nuts that try to turn the stud instead of the nut. And the clamping force won't be the same as the nut w different threads. Are the threads designed to compensate for this?

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:36 AM   #16
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
I'd do a lot of things differently if I knew the history of an engine...not all of us have that luxury.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:16 PM   #17

City: Oxnard
Vessel Name: JOY SEA
Vessel Model: CHB trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
Here is some excellent advice for you Lehman owners, stolen shamelessly from the GB site: Sure Fred, just put an M8-1 to 1/8 pipe fitting in the bottom in place of the drain plug. Then put a 90 degree ice maker needle valve in the fitting with a 12" piece of ice maker tubing on it. When ready to change the oil in the pump and with the engine hot, put the tubing end in a catch container, I use an old 1 qt. oil bottle, open the valve and the oil drains right into the bottle. Take the fill cap out to aid in oil flow. Tighten the valve back closed, refill with oil, either a measured amount or to the bottom of the level hole and you're ready to go, no muss, no fuss. This plan also works with pumps that have partially stripped threads as the fitting can be JB Welded into the hole, epoxied into the hole, or permatexed into the hole as fits your particular situation. Since it never again needs to come out it can be a permanent fix. Now the bad part. Nobody makes an M8-1 to 1/8 pipe fitting. At least I've never been able to find one. So, I make them on my home hobby lathe. There have been about 30 put into use in the last 4 years that I know about with no complaints yet. Ken Drain valve 002.JPG Description: Filesize: 1.56 MB Viewed: 3 Time(s)

This is what I was trying to find out about. Do you know this person Ken or how I can find out? New to this and really not sure yet.

Thanks Gary!
kcncolby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:19 PM   #18

City: Oxnard
Vessel Name: JOY SEA
Vessel Model: CHB trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
McMaster-Carr lists one.

Are you still making these for customers? I could use two for my engines if you do?

Thanks,

Gary
kcncolby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:06 PM   #19
Guru

City: Cowiche, WA
Jessediver,

I just finished putting the drains in my Simms injector pump. I tapped the drain with NpT thread and put in the simple drain valve. Enclosed in a photo of my new easy drains. We have twins and this makes our Starboard SIMM pump so much easier to service. Careful tapping of the aluminum housing and several flushes to insure no filings in the pump and it was a fairly simple job. It took about 1 1/2 hours to do the work.
Attached Images

kolive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:34 PM   #20
Guru

City: Full Time Cruising East Coast
Vessel Name: Meridian
Vessel Model: Krogen-42
I bought a valve frpm Ken but i don't recall his address. Search the gb site. I used jb weld. Works great as i am on the loop so the hours are adding up.
KK-42097
meridian is offline   Reply With Quote