Old 02-09-2014, 04:59 PM   #21

City: Anchor Pointe, Ohio
Vessel Name: Sea Moose
Vessel Model: 1976 34' D/C Taiwanese Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by meridian View Post
I bought a valve frpm Ken but i don't recall his address. Search the gb site. I used jb weld. Works great as i am on the loop so the hours are adding up.
Is there some trick to get JB Weld to work for this? Have tried sealing slow drip fuel fittings with it - no luck. Nervous about doing this on the Simms pump.

I've been using the black 2 part stuff. Are you putting it on the threads and then globbing it around the base of the fitting? How are you cleaning the threads first?

I've pretty much accepted the 1/2 oz per week leak, but would love to solve this problem once and for all. This is the second FL 120 I've owned and they both had stripped drain plugs that leaked a little.
SeaMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:14 PM   #22
Guru

City: Cowiche, WA
SeaMoose,

I have not used JB Weld on ours, after retreading to NPT thread I applied Locktite 242 and have zero leakage. I would encourage you to consider tapping the drain and flushing the pump and getting a secure fit.
kolive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:10 AM   #23

City: Oxnard
Vessel Name: JOY SEA
Vessel Model: CHB trawler
A little confused why use an M8-1 to 1/8" pipe thread? The drain plugs aren't metric?
kcncolby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 10:06 AM   #24
Guru

I honestly do not know why. I was following the advice of my mechanic.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:11 PM   #25

City: Vancouver Rowing Club, Coal Harbour, Vancouver, B.C.
Vessel Name: Summer Wind 1
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 41
My injector pumps are self lubricating. It was done by Paul Meyer of PM Diesel in Steveston, Richmond, B.C. Next time I am on the boat I will see if I can take a picture of the lubrication hose assembly he used to lubricate the pump.
grahamdouglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:22 PM   #26
Guru

Grahamdougladd,

That sounds very interesting. How long ago did you have that done, how many hours? I believe the Lehman 135's are self lubricating and have wondered if a retro fit would allow the 120's to be as well. Looking forward to the pics.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:27 PM   #27
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
The problem with the Simms pump is it leaks diesel into its lube oil. At oil change intervals (50 hours) you will find more liquid in the reservoir (if you have removed and capped the messy vent line) than you put in. If you have the stock, messy vent system, that fluid will be in the bilge or catch bottle. If you have plumbed the Simms into the engine lube system, a logical way to beat the 50 hour service interval, you are diluting your oil with diesel. This leads to reduced oil performance, too much fluid in the sump which can lead to failed seals and if you get enough diesel in there, possible uncontained runaway. On later versions of the engine, Ford plumbed the injector pump, but it's not a Simms.

I forgot to add that the injection pump is very intolerable to contamination - using engine oil can damage the pump unless the oil came straight out of the filter.

Plumbing the Simms pump is a bad idea.

However, you can make your life better by removing the drain line and capping it. If not already there, drill a small hole in the bottom of the slot in the filler cap for venting. Replace the drain plug with a valve. For the level plug, either glue it shut or never remove it, just measure the oil quantity you put in. Finally, drain the oil into a ziplock bag, it will fit around the pump and you don't have to fuss with a container.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:51 PM   #28
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. X. I agree. Simms pumps WILL leak diesel into it's own lube oil IF WORN. On a previous Leh' I've experienced fuel contaminated lube oil but on the current 2 Leh's, no such experience. The way I check is a smell test AND removal of the level plug before I drain the lube oil. Any initial flow out of the level plug denotes diesel dilution of the lube oil. Just the way I do it.
Old 02-15-2014, 01:10 PM   #29
Guru

Hey RT, life's too short to write a disclaimer on every entry. If you are happy with your own process, go crazy. I believe that all Simms pumps leak internally and Ford knew this, otherwise why the drain pipe? Obviously you have taken yours off, which saves a lot of mess. If you have not plumbed your Simms as per the previous post, the contamination cannot be from the Simms, it is from the injectors, either a loose high pressure fitting or a loose return line, not the Simms.

Isn't Simms part of Lucas? When I owned a TR4 back in the mists of time, we used to say "give an Englishman a piece of tin and a hammer and he will do something silly with it." My grandfather was a Brit engineer and he invented the Anderson shelter... Just added that so that no Brits will take me seriously.
Old 02-15-2014, 02:54 PM   #30

City: Vancouver Rowing Club, Coal Harbour, Vancouver, B.C.
Vessel Name: Summer Wind 1
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 41
The self lubrication system was done by the previous owner and I really have not given it much thought. I will take a close look at it next time I am on the boat. It does leak a little oil though and I have been thinking about replacing a hose and fitting.
grahamdouglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 04:59 PM   #31
Guru

Graham, an oil sample will tell you how much diesel your Simms are putting in your sump.