Old 10-26-2017, 07:16 PM   #1
KDA
Veteran Member

City: Vancouver
Kubota DC generator won't start

I am the new owner of a 35 year old boat. It came with a Kubota EA 200 DC generator. It ran when I bought it but I haven't used it much since. I started it last week (electric start) and it ran for a short time and then it began to loose RPM and it quit. I thought it might be a fuel problem so I replaced the primary fuel filter and the air filter since they both looked dirty. The secondary fuel filter looks clean and fine. I have determined that there is fuel getting to the secondary fuel filter. It turns over real well but it won't even cough. I still think it is being starved for fuel but I don't know how to bleed the system past the secondary fuel filter. Any ideas?
KDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 07:26 PM   #2
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
This is based on my Onan MDKD, which has a 3cyl Kubota engine.
Is the fuel solenoid operating? It should visibly pull across when you hit the starter. If not,pull it across manually and see if it starts. If not, you need a new solenoid.
The solenoid has 2 "holds", one for starting and one for holding it after it starts. If only the first hold has failed you should be able to start it as above, and it should continue to run normally.
Are you getting any fault indication. These generators have a number of safety protective interlocks.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 07:35 PM   #3

City: Long Beach
Vessel Model: '81 CHB34
I struggled through a mostly DIY top end rebuild of a single cylinder Kubota 300 series. There is a video of me priming on YouTube. Hope it helps.

https://youtu.be/phjoeEld8ac
winty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 07:42 PM   #4
KDA
Veteran Member

Bruce, thanks for your reply. First - nice boat. I also have aa Europa style. Second, I have been all over the useless manual that came with the boat and I can't find any mention of a "fuel solenoid". I think this is a single cylinder and it seems to be pretty simple. Again, I can't find any lights or gauges that would indicate a fault. I have found something called a "jet starter cock" and something called a "jet starter knob". There is also a "speed adjustment lever" which is controlled by a cable from the lower helm station
Old 10-26-2017, 08:21 PM   #5
KDA
Veteran Member

Winty, thanks for the reply. Yes, watching your video was very helpful. You showed me how to bleed (prime) the high pressure part of the fuel system. I will try that tomorrow morning. I think that is the answer I was looking for. Thanks again
Old 10-29-2017, 11:03 PM   #6

City: Slidell la
Vessel Name: Bonnie C’S
Vessel Model: DeFever 40ft Passage-maker Downeast
I have a Diesel Isuzu 8.5 2 cyl engine with a Lima Mac gen does anyone else have one of these it’s on my 40ft DeFever Passage-maker I have a few questions
Harlyguynola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 08:26 AM   #7
Veteran Member

City: Oregon
That is a pretty old engine, but very simple design. The fuel shut-off should be just a small in-line solenoid and it could be stuck shut. Also some of those (maybe the EA300) had a glow plug. Other than that, check for fuel at the injector (crack open the fitting) and then have the injector tested.
Timeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 08:43 PM   #8

Thanks it’s spinning but not firing I tried starting fluid it’s blowing out instead of sucking in I am starting to think I am going to have to tear it down and start over chargers on batteries all night going to try again tomorrow with fresh batteries hopefully I will figure it out getting it out of the lazzerette is a major task
Old 10-31-2017, 09:27 AM   #9

Pull the valve cover. Verify none of the valve springs are broken. Also, check valve clearance with a shim. 15-minute job. I once had a broken valve spring on my Kubota. The engine would crank, sounded normal, but no ignition. I think it was a $6 part.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:29 AM   #10

Oops, I see we switched to a 2-stroke. In that case, I have no idea.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:55 PM   #11

Actually it is a 4 stroke 2 cyl
Old 11-01-2017, 10:56 PM   #12

Today it fired rebuilt the starter then the heat exchanger blew apart any advice