Old 10-10-2021, 09:01 AM   #1
Guru

City: Olympia
Vessel Name: Rendezvous
Vessel Model: Blue water 40
anyone running a gm/bedford engine?

i'm trying to get a few things sorted on the engine, one of which is anode location.
there's a fitting on the heat exchanger but i'm not sure if it's for an anode or if it's for holding the end plate on. my engine manuals don't seem to cover that item.
there's a small anode in the tranny cooler too, but that can't cover the whole engine right?
Bmarler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 10:47 AM   #2
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
The heat exchanger is a common spot for zincs on a Detroit Diesel. Also near the salt water pump. All metal parts in the salt water system need protection. From the seacock thru the engine to the discharge in the exhaust. Sometimes parts are separated by hose. If there are sections that have no zinc, they need to be bonded with a wire. On engines with no protection or inefficient protection, I add zincs.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 11:21 AM   #3
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Sounds like a Bedford, not a Detroit. Rare engine in the states. Post some pics of heat exchanger and a few more random pics of engine. I've got a pretty good sense of what a zinc plug looks like.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 11:32 AM   #4
Guru

it's not a detroit, it's a bedford. same principles apply though obviously. i checked the engine block and shaft using a silver half cell and the readings were within acceptable limits, but finding the anode locations in the cooling system are still important to me. the genset is lacking one as well, and i'm taking care of that now. i found an onan anode in the spares that came with the boat, but a plug is in the position it's supposed to be in. weird.
this boat has extremely detailed maintenance records, but the anode information is pretty sparse.
Old 10-10-2021, 11:44 AM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Sounds like a Bedford, not a Detroit. Rare engine in the states. Post some pics of heat exchanger and a few more random pics of engine. I've got a pretty good sense of what a zinc plug looks like.
bedford, correct. i'm not at the boat now, so can't post a pic. most times the pencil anodes are just installed in brass or bronze pipe plugs. i'm pretty familiar with that. the only fitting of any type on the exterior of the heat exchanger (aside from the coolant fill cap) is what looks like a flange nut. it's possible that it's drilled for an anode, but it's also possible it's got a piece of rod on the inside and it's holding the end cap on the heat exchanger. i might just have to take it apart to see what exactly it is.
i was hoping someone on the forum might be running one of these, they were installed in quite a few boats, just not as common as other engines. runs amazing though, very smooth, little to no smoke.