Old 10-04-2021, 06:26 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Toronto
Vessel Name: TBIDO
Vessel Model: Island Gypsy 32
Anyone Know About Weifang Huayuan Engines

I'm going to look at a boat that has been extensively rebuilt. It was repowered in 2009 with two 61 HP K4100-ZD1 diesels from Weifang Huayuan Diesel Engine Manufacturing in China. The boat hasn't been extensively used since then, so I expect that the total hours are very low (there is no hour meter installed).

I haven't been able to find out much information on these engines, and was hoping that someone here might have some insight on whether they are good or a cause to run away. The current owner says that they are a Chinese knockoff of Bosch diesels. Chinese parts are hard to come by, so she has been biting the bullet and buying genuine Bosch parts which fit and work fine.

I found something similar for sale on AliExpress for C$1,673 which seems like a ridiculously low price for a reliable diesel engine.
TBIDO
R. Bush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 07:40 PM   #2
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
My biggest and first question is a two part one....
--Where are you going to get someone to work on it and where will you get parts for those engines?
Old 10-04-2021, 09:14 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Didn’t you answer your own question when you said you haven’t been able to find much information on them?
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 09:49 PM   #4
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
If you can get parts,and the boat is otherwise attractive, it`s one thing, albeit an important one,among many to consider. Previously unaware Bosch built diesels, how available are Bosch parts? Unless they are unusual design,surely most mechanics can work on them.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 10:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I wish I was more mechanically savvy, but I was thinking that the basics of all diesel engines are pretty much the same. If these engines are well built surely a low hour 12 year old engine will be more reliable than a 40 year old higher hour one. Any experienced mechanic should be able to fix one if the parts are available. I will have to make a point of really quizzing the seller on where they source parts and how obtainable they are.

I was just hoping for some feedback from someone who actually has one of these engines. The fact that I have never heard of them before is a big red flag for me.
TBIDO
Old 10-04-2021, 11:12 PM   #6
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Maybe check that Bosch make whole diesel engines. They certainly make fuel system components, but engines, I`m doubtful. You might get fuel and electrical components but if you need mechanical engine parts, are they available? They could be,originality is no feature of Chinese products.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 01:46 AM   #7

City: Cairns
It's certainly not unusual for a Chinese engine to be a direct copy of another better known model.

Do you have manuals or any info that would help you and Mr Google determine the original base model? You may then find numerous other knock-off parts suppliers for that engine that will also fit yours.

Can't be too many 61hp engines with a bore of X mm and a stroke of Y mm for example. 😁

Does this look like yours?

Good luck
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_2021-10-05-16-45-04-53_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg  
GoneDiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 06:25 AM   #8
FF
Guru

"If these engines are well built surely a low hour 12 year old engine will be more reliable than a 40 year old higher hour one."

Sounds sorta logical, but it is not usually correct.

How the engine is operated and weather "Da Book" is followed when not in use ,for oil changes, antifreeze and in storage counts.

There are many installed engines that have zero source for parts , except the builder.

If they ship what you need its not bad.

Contact the mfg and price a cylinder head & gaskets, and see what the shipping time and cost would be.

Plan B is a brand new engine, just to have parts on hand.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 08:35 AM   #9
Guru

City: Galveston, Texas
Vessel Model: 24" El Pescador
Quote:
If these engines are well built

Maybe the quality of Chinese "stuff" is improving as the years go by but not sure I would think the same of a 12 year old chinese product...until proven otherwise.
Old 10-05-2021, 08:52 AM   #10

City: Cairns
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"If these engines are well built surely a low hour 12 year old engine will be more reliable than a 40 year old higher hour one."

Sounds sorta logical, but it is not usually correct..
Very generally speaking, I've found that the worst thing for anything marine or diving related is lack of use. If I leave any of this gear unused for a couple of months in the water or on the shelf, I can guarantee that something will not work properly when I try to use it again. I'd much prefer something that was in daily/weekly usage.
GoneDiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 06:38 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Thanks for the input everyone.

I went to look at the boat today. The current owner figures the engines have about 150 hours since installation - the boat has mostly been sitting on the dock as a liveaboard. The diesels looked to be monstrously big and heavy for the horsepower. Only one would start. I think I will follow what I perceive to be the consensus of the group and look for a boat with a more well know engine brand and more reliable parts and service availability.

Thanks again.
TBIDO
Old 10-05-2021, 06:41 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Good call.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 06:01 AM   #13
FF
Guru

"Maybe the quality of Chinese "stuff" is improving as the years go by but not sure I would think the same of a 12 year old chinese product...until proven otherwise."

Take a look at the boxes when purchasing replacement parts for lots of "US" engines.

"Made in China" , is fairly common.

If a US mfg. is willing to stake his reputation,, its not much of a problem.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 07:40 AM   #14
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Done deal for the OP who has moved on. Personally, I'd take a 40-year old Perkins or Ford Lehman with 5000 hours over a no-name Chinese Franken-diesel with 150 hours. Nothing against Chinese manufacturing - they are capable of very high quality precision manufacturing when asked. Trouble is they are rarely asked.

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 04:50 PM   #15
Guru

City: Seattle
Ralph thanks for the link to the listing. I realize that you decided not to pursue the boat so this thread is just about closed, but I wanted to offer some input.

First of all you made the right decision. That boat is an ugly homemade mess with pretty much zero resale value. I like the roominess of the interior, but that's about it. For the same price you can choose from about a hundred wonderful Mainship 34's listed around the country, a true staple of the boating world. Wonderful single diesel and great reputation. Just go find yourself one in great shape, buy it, and never look back.

Back to the subject of the thread. I have experience with Chinese diesels from my time overseas. I've aware of the Weifangs but never used one. I wouldn't consider any Chinese diesel except for one and would not hesitate at all to buy a Weichai diesel. Many models are based on various designs from Steyr and Deutz and are rock solid engines.

Like others commented above, buy a brand new one and you'll not have to worry about service. Parts are affordable and you'd obviously buy an entire rebuild-kit worth of spares when sourcing the engine anyway. Weichai are heavily supported throughout Asia of course. They have a great supplier/service center with Abato in the Netherlands and also in Chicago. They have both mechanical and electronic engines.

Anyway, the point is moot at this point, but just wanted to throw that at ya. Cheers
Mako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 07:07 PM   #16

City: Tauranga
Vessel Name: Ahi
Vessel Model: Roger Hill Powercat
Weichai is a different beast all together even though they are made in the same district. One factory I visit produces 50,000 wheel loaders a year.
I asked the Chinese techs which would they choose, Cummins or Weichai (the factory offers both). They said Weichai all day long. These guys have diesel in their veins.
We have 8 units 450hp Weichai working in stabilizing gear. In these machines you put the throttle to 100% and off you go. So far pretty reliable (one water pump has failed).
darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 11:50 PM   #17
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
I worked on one of these engines for a former customer about 10 years ago. Parts were unavailable (couldn't get a reply) so we had parts made. I don't think they want to bother with shipping parts to the US. The company is only about 20 years old. And even with stolen engine tech, that's not too much experience to make reliable engines. But I'm spoiled, I run Detroits.

If the engines are cheap, plan on buying a replacement rather than repair. $1675 is about what a rebuild kit costs for my engines.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 03:48 AM   #18
Veteran Member

City: Baltimore
Vessel Name: Julie
Vessel Model: Tradewinds 43
One of the requirements when buying my boat three years ago was to avoid systems that were logistically unsupportable. So, I chose one with Cummins 6BT's. The same engine used in the Dodge pickup truck and countless other equipment. I can get most engine parts at any auto parts store. For example, fresh water pump is $50. Any decent mechanic will know how to work on them. Dealers are easy to find. The same is true of the generator, which uses a generic Kubota tractor engine. There are horror stories on here of no-name generators that are under supported for parts and service. A circuit board fails and the owner can't find a replacement.

Daniel
dvarholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 09:02 AM   #19
Guru

City: Seattle
Covid driven supply-chain issues aside, I think the world of sourcing parts has simplified dramatically in the last decade. So sourcing parts for an obscure engine is not as daunting or important a consideration as it used to be.

Example 1, I needed a fuel filter for my Mercury. The OEM one would cost about $15, but I went to Amazon and had one, sitting on my lap the next day, for $4.

Example 2, I bought a sounder-plotter directly from the manufacturer in Hong Kong for about half the price would normally pay. Subtracting for the slow-down due to China's national holiday, it will take about 7-10 days to reach me. It's in Miami right now and just cleared Customs.

So if you have a Chinese diesel then you can source parts all day long. Just go to Alibaba or other websites. If you have an Indian Leyland, just goto IndiaMart and source them. The real difficulty comes with engines which are no longer manufactured, like Gardners. Then your spare parts are available but are exorbitantly expensive.

The key for anyone, including @dvarholy's Cummins, is to stay the hell away from West Marine or similar. Purchase from WalMart and Advance Auto and commercial fishing supply houses, etc.
Mako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 01:25 PM   #20

Look for Yanmar engines. A friend if mine was having his Yanmar engine serviced in Japan by a Yanmar mechanic. He advised the mech that it had 5,000 hours on the motor. Mechanic replied "Oh, new engine"
MVDarlin is offline   Reply With Quote