Know of a good source for Cummins parts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jethrobd

Veteran Member
Anyone know of a good source for Cummins and/or Onan parts?* Primarily basic consumables: filters, belts, impellers, etc.* I'd like to stock up on spares and at a more reasonable price than the local Cummins dealer.* A one-stop shop where I can pick up impellers as well as filters would be really nice.

Thanks!

-- Edited by jethrobd at 00:04, 2008-01-06

If you don't by parts at a dealer , how can you expect to FIND a dealer when a repair you cant do is needed? Who you gona call when it makes strange sounds?

The Brits used to say

"penny wise and pound foolish"

FF

Thanks, Jim. You're right about the impeller prices at BoatFix; 20.89 vs. 33.75 at the Cummins dealer. The oil and fuel prices at Ryder are very competitive (slightly higher, actually) vs. Cummins; perhaps it's the competition from NAPA. Their air filter pricing is quite good, however.

FF, point well taken. However after Cummins quoted me 18.60 for an E2 zinc engine anode, I became curious and found the same anode for 5.89 (boatzincs), 5.95 (Fisheries Supply) and 7.99 (Defender Industries). It seems that pricing 218% higher than a competing source is just taking advantage of people too foolish to look elsewhere.

-- Edited by jethrobd at 21:17, 2008-01-07

However after Cummins quoted me 18.60 for an E2 zinc engine anode, I became curious and found the same anode for 5.89 (boatzincs), 5.95 (Fisheries Supply) and 7.99 (Defender Industries). It seems that pricing 218% higher than a competing source is just taking advantage of people too foolish to look elsewhere.

DEPENDS,

The zinc is there to protect your engine, the factory piece comes from a mfg with a KNOWN zinc purity and content . It will work.

The Chinese or Indian, "Zinc" or any unknown unrated zincs are a gamble in terms of metalurgy and efficiency, May work , may not.

Same with underwater zincs , there IS a "standard" and US mfg will have the mil spec or similar acceptance cast on.

A cheapo is a tossup , save a few bucks , and loose the underwater gear? , could be silly $avings
Purchasing a zinc from any rated US mfg (Camp) that fits your engine or heat exchangers is not as dangerous as an unknown cheap part.

FF

You're spot on, FF.* You always need to verify what you're getting for your money.

The prices I quoted were Ceco (Cummins) and Canada Metals (Defender, Fisheries Supply), so low price doesn't always mean low quality.

so low price doesn't always mean low quality.

So long as it is labeled to meet some specification , not blank, it may be just fine.

What is cast into the side?

FF

Back
Top Bottom