Old 04-17-2017, 09:07 AM   #1
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Johnson Outboard Rebuild - Need Expert to Tweak

Have a 2000 Johnson 9.9 which is wonderful. Carburetor started leaking this year. I had a spare carburetor so I replaced the carburetor, and all was fine.

Then used a rebuild kit and rebuilt the original carburetor. When for testing purposes I installed the rebuilt carburetor it ran rough and stopped after 30 seconds of running. Gave the outboard to the outboard "expert" in St. Lucia who then announced he couldn't work on a carburetor with plastic parts.

Have brought the original rebuilt carburetor back to the United States with me.

Any suggestions on finding someone who can work on the carburetor without the outboard? Any recommendations?

Thanks

Old 04-17-2017, 09:51 AM   #2
Guru

City: Litchfield, Ct/Punta Gorda, Fl
Vessel Model: Atlas Pompano 23
I have been able to solve 90% of my and my friends problems with carburetors by disassembling and soaking overnight in a can of carburetor cleaner that you can buy at any auto parts store. I suspect that is what the "someone" will do.

Soaking removes varnish and fouling often caused by ethanol added to gasoline that blocks the jets and causes the rough running you are experiencing.

Also if you DIY or not, when you get back make sure that the gasoline feed line is clear. It often plugs up at the valve or the filter. Open the valve with the carb not connected and make sure that you get good flow.

David

djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:52 AM   #3

City: Oriental, NC
Vessel Name: M/V Major Award
Vessel Model: Senator 35 w/single Lehman
Many of the OMC carbs have a tiny hose in the bowl that goes to a tiny depression in the bottom of bowl. The end has a fitting with a really tiny orifice...like hair strand size. (emissions crap) Take this apart and clean that orifice assembly. You may never see what you cleaned out but I bet it will idle and run like a champ. This affects idle (it won't) as well as other running characteristics. Soaking it while disassembled would be good also. If that tube does not look right replace with new OEM. This could be a yearly task given the fuel we have available.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:00 AM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Thanks, but I have done a complete rebuild using the bebuild kit supplied by OMC. In doing so I cleaned the body.

As an aside, I would buy a new carburetor if one was available, but unfortunately they are not available. Boating in the Eastern Caribbean has its downsides. If my new carburetor fails I would be forced to buy a new outboard.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:40 AM   #5
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
I would not replace the carb, fix the original one. The one you replaced it with could have differences that make it not suitable. Might not ever run right. Jets different, whatever.

The 9.9 two stroke carb is super simple, usually it can be cleaned without needing any replacement parts or gaskets. I think there is a donut gasket around central pickup- If you forget that thing won't run at all. Not sure if this one has it or not.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 01:53 PM   #6

City: Oriental, NC
Vessel Name: M/V Major Award
Vessel Model: Senator 35 w/single Lehman
The tiny orifice is most likely not included in rebuild kit. I use a lp heater pilot cleaning broach. Super tiny and it has to be clean.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:28 AM   #7
Guru

City: B.C.
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: xxxx
Not all carb. cleaners are any good.

Gunk brand is still a good one. I had to buy a new Gunk a few years ago , 4-5, after I gave my previoius one away and the newer still works. It is available only in gallons I think.

My O/b and Yam generator needed it. There were several jets, orifices, that , although I knew where they were I could not see them. The Gunk cleaned them out.
Disassembled completely and dropped the parts in for 24 hrs.

Do NOT put the plastic pieces in the Gunk or you may need new ones.

Wear gloves as it is still strong enough to seriously damage skin.

I tried several other so called cleaners previously and they were useless.

So which cleaner were you using? I know there are other good ones but lots of junk also.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 07:50 AM   #8
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Pelican View Post
Thanks, but I have done a complete rebuild using the bebuild kit supplied by OMC. In doing so I cleaned the body.

As an aside, I would buy a new carburetor if one was available, but unfortunately they are not available. Boating in the Eastern Caribbean has its downsides. If my new carburetor fails I would be forced to buy a new outboard.

I had a 1999 Johnson 2-stroke... and it was made by Suzuki. Suzuki inspection stickers in the shipping box. Johnson J5REE same as Suzuki DT5Y. Identical parts throughout, near as I could tell.

Given your model year and size, and given Johnson/OMC's situation at the time... you might find your case is similar.

Got very good diagrams and parts nomenclature -- and actual parts, once I knew what I wanted -- from boats.net.

-Chris