JD 6068 Fault “Out of Range Low”

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arthurc

Guru
Vessel Name
Sea Bear
Vessel Make
Kadey-Krogen 54
Hi All, hoping someone might know otherwise I’ll wait until Monday. I’m having a new 6068 put in and was told it’s ready to use (still some minor prop work to do so it hits full rpm) but when I flipped on the key I got the following fault. (Attached image). Any idea what this is for, it doesn’t seem to be in the manual. I just need to start her to turn her around at the dock this weekend so I can address the last leak (port side railing).
Thoughts?

Attachments

• 33DEA174-2EC1-4E67-9129-0B122312BECF.jpeg
    33DEA174-2EC1-4E67-9129-0B122312BECF.jpeg
    119.2 KB · Views: 76
Engine speed low, reduce engine speed, contact dealer. That is what that trouble code says.

Might have something to do with an onboard test that confirmed the boat being over propped.

Ahh, good point, during the sea trial we only got up to 2250 and it’s suppose to hit 2400+, wonder if the evidence realized that since I don’t think it was started since then.
Thoughts on if it’s ok to start her to move her? Won’t go out of idle.

Try turning off all power to engine for a few minutes and start it up. See if you get any throttle response. Either way, can't see that it would harm anything to move the boat provided you can do it safely at idle.

Since corrective measure was “reduce engine speed” as opposed to shut engine down, don’t think you should have an issue.

Jd 6068 is such a reliable engine. I can’t see how you have any kind of a real issue. If there was an issue the installer would have already seen it and told you about it. Oh wait, he did tell you, you are over propped, that would be an issue if you ran the boat at full throttle.

Try clearing the fault codes by turning on the key and pressing both outer buttons at the same time as the light comes on. Restart and see if the fault code returns.

Thanks all, heading to the boat now

Before clearing the fault codes, scroll through them!! There may be more than the one you see initially, and a second one can be very useful in understanding the underlying issue.

Turning the boat around at idle should be fine.

For commencement of warranty you will need to get the prop issue sorted, and then do a sea trial at increasing rpm increments while the dealer has his laptop plugged in. You will have to be able to reach WOT for the M rating chosen. I think they verify, or set, the ECU mapping for the particular M rating selected.

Low voltage return to ECU on throttle circuit. The throttle is 0-5 volt reference, with (typically) .5v-4.5v being the nominal range. If the rerun voltage falls below the bottom voltage threshold (.5v) the code you note is set.

You may find you have no throttle response...

Out of range low is a failed sensor in the industrial world such as a 1-5 volt control voltage reading zero volts or a 4-20 milliamp signal less than 4 ma. Usually from an open loop for some reason. This is a NEW engine right? Warranty issue.

Brand new engine, it started up but wouldn’t let me clear the error so I gave up on the idea of turning the boat around, will let Hatton deal with it Monday.
AC

Art: I don’t think you’re in danger of the engine crapping out totally. I’d idle in gear till engine temp is reached, then if no problem, turn the boat around at idle.

Thanks, I may give it a go tomorrow, I’m just a bit nervous as the alarm was pretty persistent once the engine started and while Hatton gave me the go ahead to use it below 2000rpm it still hasn’t been officially handed over to me yet.

I'd wait. The last thing you need is Hatton or Deere saying you did something to the engine.

Just closing the loop on this Incase anyone ever runs into this. Per John Deere this isn’t an engine error code it’s actually an error code from the diagnostic computer JD has hooked up to the engine to certify it which explains why this wasn’t in the Manual or online. Turns out Hatton is the first installer to start using a brand new certification system from JD and it sounds like it’s really buggy. When we go out for attempt 2 at certifying they are going to make sure they also bring al the manual gauges needed to certify the old fashioned way.

Less than 2 weeks until she is heads north!
AC

All the complex electronics on some marine engines scare me. My little Yanmar has some electronics, but not an ECU like an auto does. Back when I had the car dealership we pulled our hair out chasing down bad connections, and I can’t imagine all the bad connections that can happen in the marine environment with an engine with a complex wiring harness.

My tach quits working from time to time and I have to go down and unplug and replug the connection. That’s about all I want to chase down these days.

The failure modes of complex electronics are endless. They CAN be very reliable if they use multiple channels of parameter monitoring with single failure proof logic. Have not seen that kind of sophistication in the rec boat arena.
The push for driverless cars scares the hell out of me. :nonono:

I agree that failure diagnosis is harder to deal with in a newer engine but I feel like the benefits outweigh the risk, plus if these new engines are good enough for fishing boats running continuous duty I think I’ll be ok. I did put a ton of extra sensors on it however so should have a good handle on it if something goes wrong.
As for driverless Cars.. I’m totally in a different boat, can’t wait for the new Tesla system to get certified/released.

And I’m sorry, I certainly didn’t mean to knock your new JD engine. I’m just old school and scared.

I know those engines are built to be reliable and super efficient.

I appreciate all opinions :)
Actually did a bunch of research before going all electronic, happy I did but certainly was a debate.
I also went with the M0 rated engine which means it’s pretty much designed for continuous tug boat duty so that should help extend her life.

Back
Top Bottom