Old 12-03-2017, 04:20 AM   #1

City: Port Vila
Converting Morse engine controls.

Hi there.
I have twin 6BTs running through ZFs, with twin station single function Morse controls. Ie one set of gear shifters and another set of throttles. I am considering converting to twin lever dual function controls ie one lever per engine functioning as shift control and throttle.
I gave found some reference to single function controls being better firhydraulic gearboxes.
Does anyone have any advice or comment?
Many thanks😎
Nigelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 05:40 AM   #2
Guru

City: South Florida
The only way to use cable controls on a 2 station boat with single lever controls (one lever per engine functioning as shift control and throttle) is to use a switch box which adds a bunch of complexity, cost and friction. Morse used to make one and abandoned it 20 years ago. You would go from 2 cables for each control to engine x 2 for 2 stations for total 4 cables to total 7 cables per engine + the friction from the switch box.

Morse was purchased by Teleflex several years ago and then the marine division was spun off as Sea Star Solutions. They are showing a 2 station switch box in their current literature. UFlex appears to make one too as do other manufacturers.

Typically today for single lever / dual station installations electronic controls are used.

Attached Images

Keysdisease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 08:28 AM   #3
Guru

City: Palm Coast, FL
Vessel Name: Coquina
Vessel Model: Lagoon 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigelk View Post
Hi there.
I have twin 6BTs running through ZFs, with twin station single function Morse controls. Ie one set of gear shifters and another set of throttles. I am considering converting to twin lever dual function controls ie one lever per engine functioning as shift control and throttle.
I gave found some reference to single function controls being better firhydraulic gearboxes.
Does anyone have any advice or comment?
Many thanks😎
The single lever does enforce a more likely kinder operation of the controls. That is, less likely to jam tranny in/out of gear above idle. And, less dash space required. BUT, IMO, the rework for you would not be worth it.
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 11:23 AM   #4
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
I am also looking at that on our boat in the distant future. There are a few option, but they are pretty pricey. It seems like a straight forward enough install. At least for our boat as we have hydraulic at both stations and it converts it to cable in the engine bay.

A quick search at any big marine store will find them. I have been told that there is some control lag and that had me worried, however, friends here have implied that it is an adjustable parameter. Still, while I am not super happy with my current system, I am not yet ready to make the leap. Pretty sure I will eventually. We are following a YouTube channel of a cruising couple an they have the electronic controls (as do most of the sportfish boats in NC), so there is value there. Plus, I could use the space in the engine room.

Keep us posted. I would love to know how it goes.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:52 AM   #5
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keysdisease View Post
The only way to use cable controls on a 2 station boat with single lever controls (one lever per engine functioning as shift control and throttle) is to use a switch box which adds a bunch of complexity, cost and friction. Morse used to make one and abandoned it 20 years ago. You would go from 2 cables for each control to engine x 2 for 2 stations for total 4 cables to total 7 cables per engine + the friction from the switch box.

Morse was purchased by Teleflex several years ago and then the marine division was spun off as Sea Star Solutions. They are showing a 2 station switch box in their current literature. UFlex appears to make one too as do other manufacturers.

Typically today for single lever / dual station installations electronic controls are used.

I have a dual station single lever setup. What you called the switched box (also called transfer box) on my setup was custom made by the boat builder and is made of 2 sliding pulleys. It really is a clever piece that does not add much friction.

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 12:42 PM   #6
Guru

City: League City, TX
Vessel Name: Pelago
Vessel Model: Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
Actually, you do have another very good option for single-lever two-station controls. Kobelt offers their 2090 Series which synchronize the master and remote levers with chains and sprockets connected by low-friction cables. They are available in two configurations.

The single-engine, single-lever, two-station control system consists of a 2091 master and a 2093 remote. You would need one set 2091/2093 set for each engine. These are best where you already have controls on either side of the helm/wheel, or if you prefer to back the boat by facing aft with engine/gear controls in each hand. The levers and graduated scales can be reversed (left/right) as required by your installation.

The twin-engine, single-lever, two-station control system consists of a 2092 Master and a 2094 Remote. You only need one 2092/2094 set to control both engines from both stations

In either configuration, the ability to advance the throttles in neutral is only available on the master controls, not the remotes.

These are very high quality systems without all of the complication of the Teleflex/Morse switch boxes. They are however a bit pricey.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:33 PM   #7

City: Anchor Pointe, Ohio
Vessel Name: Sea Moose
Vessel Model: 1976 34' D/C Taiwanese Trawler
Curious... why you don’t like the two lever controls? I can’t stand the one lever controls around a dock, I always seem to gun the engine putting it in gear. Takes practice I guess.
SeaMoose is offline   Reply With Quote