Old 12-27-2016, 02:35 PM   #1
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
JD 6068 error code says call service dealer

We were heading out for a few days after Xmas and before leaving the entrance channel to Port of Brisbane the port engine gave an alarm, requiring engine shutdown. We continued over to the Sandhills anchorage on one engine OK.

The error code is SPN 629 FMI 19 - ECU not receiving message from pump. Manual says call service dealer, which I will do when they re-open their office after the Xmas-New Year holiday break. Is there anything an owner/user can do in the meantime?

I did unplug the loom to the ECU and also to the injector pump and reconnect them, but there does not seem to be any change. I am guessing that there is a failure of the injector pump sensor, and that I will just need to wait for the dealer to re-open. We will return to the marina this afternoon on one engine. I will definitely need slack tide to enter my berth, but it should be manageable with only light winds forecast.
Old 12-27-2016, 02:49 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Can't help with the error code, but would it be possible/advisable to start the other engine just for docking?

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 02:57 PM   #3
TF Site Team

I was thinking of doing that but am a little concerned about damaging it. After removing and reconnecting the loom it idled fine, went up to 1500 rpm out of gear and was still ok. So back to idle while I raised anchor. But before I could move off it started to falter, so even if I start it near my berth I may not be able to use it for long enough to get any benefit.
Old 12-27-2016, 03:37 PM   #4
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Shalloway
Vessel Model: Defever 44, twin Perkins
If it faltered then it is likely not a sensor problem but a real problem (unless the sensor data was used to dial back the engine to avoid possible damage). I think you are handling it properly by not using it until the true nature of the problem can be diagnosed. No sense turning a simple problem into a bigger one by pushing the engine.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 04:07 PM   #5
TF Site Team

Yes, exactly. I thought I'd ask here and on boatdiesel just in case someone knew of a simple reset-type fix. Unlikely as the manual says call the service dept.

It seems to me that something electronic at the injector pump has failed and will need to be replaced.
Old 12-27-2016, 04:49 PM   #6
Guru

City: Sydney
I put in a call to a friend in the bush that works on JDs he said he loves the JD engine and absolutely hated the electrics that hang off the JDs .He suggest there's nothing wrong just a ECU fault that can be cleared and any one with a JD should look into having the ECU re flashed so all those pesty fault codes are eliminated and the ECU reflash can also be reset so all those pesty sensors are turned off in the ECU program . he said he will send a link about re flashing when hes near a puter
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 05:23 PM   #7
Guru

City: Vermont
See attached pages from the Deere 6068 service manual
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Pages from CTM170.pdf (20.2 KB, 123 views)
Old 12-27-2016, 09:15 PM   #8
Guru

City: Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
See attached pages from the Deere 6068 service manual
A real good case for a 1971 Perkins HT6-354
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 09:17 PM   #9

City: Astoria
Vessel Name: Florence A
Vessel Model: 47' Sutton
Fuel pump eprom communication error. If it is a vp44 pump as the manual from twisted tree suggests then it is likely the pump. Cummins used that pump on 5.9 truck engines and the pumps where problematic. The steps you have taken with the harness are about as far as you can go by yourself. All the next steps involve a laptop.
BryanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 09:31 PM   #10
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
A real good case for a 1971 Perkins HT6-354
And the venerable Ford 2715E Lehman.
Brian, I hope your issue is soon found and solved, and a safe docking.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 02:21 AM   #11
TF Site Team

Thanks to everyone for info above. The pump (or some electronics in it) is no doubt the problem. The dealer is open again on 3 Jan so I'lll keep you posted on the outcome.

Although I can relate to the mechanical injector engines I could not buy them at the time of my re-power. Indeed I ordered the Tier II engines about 3 weeks before Tier III was mandatory for new sales. Overall I think they are reliable - but a pump failure at 850 hours is not nice.

I am home now, and did manage to dock without hitting anything! It was a little problematic as the strong easterly winds had backed up the river a bit and the slack tide was more than 35 minutes after the supposed slack water time. And there was a bit of wind as well. I did have multiple attempts and bailouts before getting the stern close enough to throw lines to some neighbours on the dock. The two difficulties I had were trying to make a 90° turn in a 30m wide fairway (boat is almost 17m) and controlling where the stern was going. I could not start the port engine at all and the propwash on one rudder wasn't that effective as kicking the stern either way. Coupled with a bow thruster that is a bit small and it was an 'interesting' 30 minutes!
Old 12-28-2016, 06:47 PM   #12
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
But you got it done and got some practice in handling the boat one engined. Good going.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 06:56 PM   #13

City: G
Hate electronic engines!!!! OK in a car but useless on a boat imo.

Recently got dragged into helping a buddy with similarish fault codes.

In our case it was the ecm. Needed a replacement unit.

That fixed it but what do you do if out on the water when it fails??

A risk we can do without, again imo
stone beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 07:53 PM   #14

City: Wherever the boat is
Vessel Name: Kismet
Since no one else has mentioned it.. if you are confident it is a fault code on the fuel side... likely no harm in running it at light loads.
kev_rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 10:22 PM   #15
TF Site Team

I think there are other fault codes as well now. I managed to start it a couple of times after the initial problem, but run time became shorter each time. Rough idle, varying rpm and obviously 'not right' so switched off.
Old 12-28-2016, 11:00 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
I think there are other fault codes as well now. I managed to start it a couple of times after the initial problem, but run time became shorter each time. Rough idle, varying rpm and obviously 'not right' so switched off.
I will be waiting for you to post what problem is since I also have two JD 6068. So far in 4+ years they have run faultlessly. The only problem was on delivery a mechanic installed the thermostats backward. Evidently that is not hard to do if you are not familiar with this JD engine the units go in ass backward compared to most other engines.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 05:45 AM   #17
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post

I am home now, and did manage to dock without hitting anything! It was a little problematic as the strong easterly winds had backed up the river a bit and the slack tide was more than 35 minutes after the supposed slack water time. And there was a bit of wind as well. I did have multiple attempts and bailouts before getting the stern close enough to throw lines to some neighbours on the dock. The two difficulties I had were trying to make a 90° turn in a 30m wide fairway (boat is almost 17m) and controlling where the stern was going. I could not start the port engine at all and the propwash on one rudder wasn't that effective as kicking the stern either way. Coupled with a bow thruster that is a bit small and it was an 'interesting' 30 minutes!
Not saying you should plan to be without your second engine for any length of time, but...
Amazing how little time it actually takes to get the feel of docking a twin engine boat on only one engine, even in wind and current. he first thing you learn is to make the prop-walk of the good engine your friend, and not to fight the turn by trying to turn against that prop walk.
In some places you have no choice but to fight it, eg if you can't go past your slip and spin around so as to have that prop-walk with you, but those places are rare.
And yes, I have the experience of two summers on one engine, while things were being fixed on the other one. I learned to prefer a Starboard tie when the Starboard engine is down, a port tie when it is the port engine. This gets you a helpful prop-walk once close to success, and no fight.
A thruster could also come in handy in those situations.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:18 AM   #18
Guru

City: Port Ludlow
Vessel Name: Fiddler
Vessel Model: DeFever 46
I had a similar problem with one of my JD4045s. It would randomly generate a fault code that shut down the engine. It happened a half dozen times. I got good at docking with one engine and thruster, and was afraid to venture too far. The JD mechanic thought first it was the wiring harness connections, which he tightened. It ran for awhile then the problem recurred. Then he thought it was the ECU, which I switched out with the good engine. The bad engine ran for awhile, then the problem recurred. The fault code was related to the injector pump, but could not find a problem there. The engine was not under warranty but we contacted JD and told them of my issues and our futile efforts to find the problem. He said it is either the wiring harness, ECU, or injector pump, all items we checked. In a gesture of goodwill, he authorized the dealer to replace all of them at no cost to me and it has ran perfectly ever since for approximately 600 hours.
drb1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 11:24 AM   #19
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Goodwill comping out of warranty repair, bonus points in favor of John Deere

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 11:33 AM   #20
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
Kudos to John Deere!
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote