Old 06-08-2013, 09:55 AM   #1
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
It's Scary!!!!

Can you just imagine what an aspiring trawler person must be feeling when they read all the potential and existing problems that are penned on TF?

Over propping/under propping, water in the fuel, gunk in the tanks, problems with docking, gas vs. diesel, singles vs. twins, FD hulls vs. SD hulls, which fresh water pump is best, excessive idling is bad, and the list continues for miles! (Not to mention the problems encountered in anchoring!)

Why, after reading all this stuff would anyone (who previously had a dream of owning a trawler) want to open themselves up to all this abuse & trauma? And those that continue the quest now must face the dreaded lobster & crab pots that lurk, ready to entangle your prop and cause you to be dead in the water. Not to mention the maintenance that is absolutely necessary for the safe operation of the vessel. And, assuming you can handle all this, your first cruise is in a bumpy sea and you spend the remainder of the trip selling "buicks" over the side!

Why do we do this? We all must be nuts!
Old 06-08-2013, 10:05 AM   #2
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Walt, after reading this forum, I think the newby would just give up when he realized he couldn't decide on an anchor much less a whole boat.
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:07 AM   #3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Walt, after reading this forum, I think the newby would just give up when he realized he couldn't decide on an anchor much less a whole boat.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:26 AM   #4
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Much like love and marriage. If someone told us of all the pitfalls, we'd probably never take that leap. But somehow, we make our way through all that to be with the one we love. Yes, I love my boat (but I love the Admiral more..yes, she occasionally reads these pages!).

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:31 AM   #5
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
We are a conservative lot but not without grit and a spirit of adventure. I'd be offended if someone accused me of being lacking in either.

And Walt ... our numbers are increasing. Amazing but it does seem there are more w/o boats now. Are they the intelligent few?

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:44 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Much like love and marriage. If someone told us of all the pitfalls, we'd probably never take that leap. But somehow, we make our way through all that to be with the one we love. Yes, I love my boat (but I love the Admiral more..yes, she occasionally reads these pages!).
I think that you meant the smaller print in parentheses at the end of your post to be much larger.
Old 06-08-2013, 03:42 PM   #7

City: Dayton, OH
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
We are a conservative lot but not without grit and a spirit of adventure. I'd be offended if someone accused me of being lacking in either.

And Walt ... our numbers are increasing. Amazing but it does seem there are more w/o boats now. Are they the intelligent few?
Nah, most of the boatless are just financially challenged.
The stories don't scare me, every forum is like that. People don't just spontaneously post that their boat is wonderful, problem free, the greatest thing they ever bought or did. No, they post when the fuses are blowing or something got rusty or the windows are leaking. Problems get more print, that's all.

Me, I'd avoid any old bones, go for a newer boat!
Except I'm financially challenged, like I said.

It's a great forum, I can't help but come here to see what's new from time to time. Thanks for having me.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:14 PM   #8
Guru

City: Port Townsend
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
dhmeissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:15 PM   #9
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
Walt-

You did not even mention forward/reverse slanting pilothouse windows!
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:29 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
Walt-

You did not even mention forward/reverse slanting pilothouse windows!
Of course, you are correct! The list is too long to name all the problems. If I were a newbie and reading posts on this forum for the past year, I'd run for the hills.

Take entrepreneurs as an example. If they knew all the obsticals and pitfalls that they would face in the future, most would change course. (Not start a business) But because they (most) are not formally educated, (college) they boldly enter the business world and slay the dragons as they pop up. That's certainly been my history and knowing what I know today about succeeding or failing in a start up, I wouldn't do it again.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:44 PM   #11
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
I've only worked for somebody else for 4.5 years out of the last 42. Wouldn't have it any other way!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:48 PM   #12

City: Fulton TX
Vessel Name: The Salty Swallow - named by wife
Vessel Model: Private builder - 50' Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
Nah, most of the boatless are just financially challenged.
The stories don't scare me, every forum is like that. People don't just spontaneously post that their boat is wonderful, problem free, the greatest thing they ever bought or did. No, they post when the fuses are blowing or something got rusty or the windows are leaking. Problems get more print, that's all.

Me, I'd avoid any old bones, go for a newer boat!
Except I'm financially challenged, like I said.

It's a great forum, I can't help but come here to see what's new from time to time. Thanks for having me.

AussieCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:07 PM   #13
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse II View Post
Can you just imagine what an aspiring trawler person must be feeling when they read all the potential and existing problems that are penned on TF?
Well, one thing's for sure. I'm long past the "imagining" part.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:37 AM   #14
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
After my rant in the Off Topic forum, I suppose I should add something here.

Earlier today, on a brief break to let the sweat dry and catch my breath, I looked down into the water. It brought me back to when I was a kid, and couldn't look at water without wanting to be either in it or on it.

It's moments like that when I remember how fortunate we are to be able to put our time, money, sweat and blood into our boats.

For some, a boat is a luxury they can afford, so why not? Others would find a way to be on a boat no matter what hand life dealt them. Either way, it's all good.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:50 AM   #15
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse II View Post
Of course, you are correct! The list is too long to name all the problems. If I were a newbie and reading posts on this forum for the past year, I'd run for the hills.

Take entrepreneurs as an example. If they knew all the obsticals and pitfalls that they would face in the future, most would change course. (Not start a business) But because they (most) are not formally educated, (college) they boldly enter the business world and slay the dragons as they pop up. That's certainly been my history and knowing what I know today about succeeding or failing in a start up, I wouldn't do it again.
AMEN...I call it "Paralysis by analysis"!!!!
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:51 AM   #16
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
After my rant in the Off Topic forum, I suppose I should add something here.

Earlier today, on a brief break to let the sweat dry and catch my breath, I looked down into the water. It brought me back to when I was a kid, and couldn't look at water without wanting to be either in it or on it.

It's moments like that when I remember how fortunate we are to be able to put our time, money, sweat and blood into our boats.

For some, a boat is a luxury they can afford, so why not? Others would find a way to be on a boat no matter what hand life dealt them. Either way, it's all good.
Very well said!!! Regardless of my financial condition, I am in the latter group!!!
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:17 PM   #17
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
When I'm old and drooling on my death bed, the price of fuel won't matter. Either will the slant of my windshield, the shape of my anchor or if I ran a twin or single screw. Its all bull crap. The memories will out shine the details we make a big deal over.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:40 PM   #18

City: Fulton TX
Vessel Name: The Salty Swallow - named by wife
Vessel Model: Private builder - 50' Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor of Fortune View Post
When I'm old and drooling on my death bed, the price of fuel won't matter. Either will the slant of my windshield, the shape of my anchor or if I ran a twin or single screw. Its all bull crap. The memories will out shine the details we make a big deal over.
Very true !!! I actually plan to die in a comfortable chair on the back deck of my boat...of alcoholic poisoning most likely....somewhere warm and sunny !

AussieCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:44 PM   #19
JAT
Guru

Vessel Name: Just a Tinch
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44 MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
My thoughts exactly!!!
JAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:44 PM   #20
JAT
Guru

Vessel Name: Just a Tinch
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44 MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieCraig View Post
Very true !!! I actually plan to die in a comfortable chair on the back deck of my boat...of alcoholic poisoning most likely....somewhere warm and sunny !
There are worse ways to go......
JAT is offline   Reply With Quote