Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-08-2013, 10:55 AM   #1
Guru
 
Codger2's Avatar
 
City: San Diego
Country: US
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,420
It's Scary!!!!

Can you just imagine what an aspiring trawler person must be feeling when they read all the potential and existing problems that are penned on TF?

Over propping/under propping, water in the fuel, gunk in the tanks, problems with docking, gas vs. diesel, singles vs. twins, FD hulls vs. SD hulls, which fresh water pump is best, excessive idling is bad, and the list continues for miles! (Not to mention the problems encountered in anchoring!)

Why, after reading all this stuff would anyone (who previously had a dream of owning a trawler) want to open themselves up to all this abuse & trauma? And those that continue the quest now must face the dreaded lobster & crab pots that lurk, ready to entangle your prop and cause you to be dead in the water. Not to mention the maintenance that is absolutely necessary for the safe operation of the vessel. And, assuming you can handle all this, your first cruise is in a bumpy sea and you spend the remainder of the trip selling "buicks" over the side!

Why do we do this? We all must be nuts!
__________________
Advertisement

__________________
Codger2

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:05 AM   #2
Guru
 
HopCar's Avatar


 
City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,500
Walt, after reading this forum, I think the newby would just give up when he realized he couldn't decide on an anchor much less a whole boat.
__________________

HopCar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:07 AM   #3
Guru
 
Codger2's Avatar
 
City: San Diego
Country: US
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Walt, after reading this forum, I think the newby would just give up when he realized he couldn't decide on an anchor much less a whole boat.
__________________
Codger2

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:26 AM   #4
TF Site Team
 
FlyWright's Avatar
 
City: California Delta and SF Bay
Country: Sacramento, CA, USA (boat in Vallejo)
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 10,175
Much like love and marriage. If someone told us of all the pitfalls, we'd probably never take that leap. But somehow, we make our way through all that to be with the one we love. Yes, I love my boat (but I love the Admiral more..yes, she occasionally reads these pages!).
__________________
Al

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:31 AM   #5
Guru
 
Nomad Willy's Avatar
 
City: Concrete Washington State
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 13,707
We are a conservative lot but not without grit and a spirit of adventure. I'd be offended if someone accused me of being lacking in either.

And Walt ... our numbers are increasing. Amazing but it does seem there are more w/o boats now. Are they the intelligent few?
__________________
Eric

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:44 PM   #6
TF Site Team
 
dwhatty's Avatar
 
City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Country: USA
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Much like love and marriage. If someone told us of all the pitfalls, we'd probably never take that leap. But somehow, we make our way through all that to be with the one we love. Yes, I love my boat (but I love the Admiral more..yes, she occasionally reads these pages!).
I think that you meant the smaller print in parentheses at the end of your post to be much larger.
__________________
David Hawkins
Deer Isle, Maine
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:42 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
City: Dayton, OH
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
We are a conservative lot but not without grit and a spirit of adventure. I'd be offended if someone accused me of being lacking in either.

And Walt ... our numbers are increasing. Amazing but it does seem there are more w/o boats now. Are they the intelligent few?
Nah, most of the boatless are just financially challenged.
The stories don't scare me, every forum is like that. People don't just spontaneously post that their boat is wonderful, problem free, the greatest thing they ever bought or did. No, they post when the fuses are blowing or something got rusty or the windows are leaking. Problems get more print, that's all.

Me, I'd avoid any old bones, go for a newer boat!
Except I'm financially challenged, like I said.

It's a great forum, I can't help but come here to see what's new from time to time. Thanks for having me.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:14 PM   #8
Guru
 
dhmeissner's Avatar
 
City: Seattle
Country: North America
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,325
__________________
Dave & Suzie - Roughwater 35
http://thepromiserwb1029.org/2012/09...the-promise-2/
dhmeissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:15 PM   #9
THD
Guru
 
City: Seattle
Country: US
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,142
Walt-

You did not even mention forward/reverse slanting pilothouse windows!
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:29 PM   #10
Guru
 
Codger2's Avatar
 
City: San Diego
Country: US
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
Walt-

You did not even mention forward/reverse slanting pilothouse windows!
Of course, you are correct! The list is too long to name all the problems. If I were a newbie and reading posts on this forum for the past year, I'd run for the hills.

Take entrepreneurs as an example. If they knew all the obsticals and pitfalls that they would face in the future, most would change course. (Not start a business) But because they (most) are not formally educated, (college) they boldly enter the business world and slay the dragons as they pop up. That's certainly been my history and knowing what I know today about succeeding or failing in a start up, I wouldn't do it again.
__________________
Codger2

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:44 PM   #11
Guru
 
Giggitoni's Avatar
 
City: Vallejo, California
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,532
I've only worked for somebody else for 4.5 years out of the last 42. Wouldn't have it any other way!
__________________
Ray
"Mahalo Moi"
1986 GB-42 Classic
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:48 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
AussieCraig's Avatar
 
City: Fulton TX
Country: USA
Vessel Name: The Salty Swallow - named by wife
Vessel Model: Private builder - 50' Trawler
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
Nah, most of the boatless are just financially challenged.
The stories don't scare me, every forum is like that. People don't just spontaneously post that their boat is wonderful, problem free, the greatest thing they ever bought or did. No, they post when the fuses are blowing or something got rusty or the windows are leaking. Problems get more print, that's all.

Me, I'd avoid any old bones, go for a newer boat!
Except I'm financially challenged, like I said.

It's a great forum, I can't help but come here to see what's new from time to time. Thanks for having me.
__________________
Craig 'Aussie' White
'Not all who wander are lost...'

AussieCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:07 PM   #13
Guru
 
healhustler's Avatar
 
City: Longboat Key, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse II View Post
Can you just imagine what an aspiring trawler person must be feeling when they read all the potential and existing problems that are penned on TF?
Well, one thing's for sure. I'm long past the "imagining" part.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:37 PM   #14
Guru
 
CaptTom's Avatar
 
City: Southern Maine
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Cygnus
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,373
After my rant in the Off Topic forum, I suppose I should add something here.

Earlier today, on a brief break to let the sweat dry and catch my breath, I looked down into the water. It brought me back to when I was a kid, and couldn't look at water without wanting to be either in it or on it.

It's moments like that when I remember how fortunate we are to be able to put our time, money, sweat and blood into our boats.

For some, a boat is a luxury they can afford, so why not? Others would find a way to be on a boat no matter what hand life dealt them. Either way, it's all good.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:50 PM   #15
TF Site Team
 
Baker's Avatar
 
City: League City, Tx
Country: Texas
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse II View Post
Of course, you are correct! The list is too long to name all the problems. If I were a newbie and reading posts on this forum for the past year, I'd run for the hills.

Take entrepreneurs as an example. If they knew all the obsticals and pitfalls that they would face in the future, most would change course. (Not start a business) But because they (most) are not formally educated, (college) they boldly enter the business world and slay the dragons as they pop up. That's certainly been my history and knowing what I know today about succeeding or failing in a start up, I wouldn't do it again.
AMEN...I call it "Paralysis by analysis"!!!!
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:51 PM   #16
TF Site Team
 
Baker's Avatar
 
City: League City, Tx
Country: Texas
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
After my rant in the Off Topic forum, I suppose I should add something here.

Earlier today, on a brief break to let the sweat dry and catch my breath, I looked down into the water. It brought me back to when I was a kid, and couldn't look at water without wanting to be either in it or on it.

It's moments like that when I remember how fortunate we are to be able to put our time, money, sweat and blood into our boats.

For some, a boat is a luxury they can afford, so why not? Others would find a way to be on a boat no matter what hand life dealt them. Either way, it's all good.
Very well said!!! Regardless of my financial condition, I am in the latter group!!!
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:17 PM   #17
Guru
 
Sailor of Fortune's Avatar
 
City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
Country: Port of St Augustine ,FL
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,957
When I'm old and drooling on my death bed, the price of fuel won't matter. Either will the slant of my windshield, the shape of my anchor or if I ran a twin or single screw. Its all bull crap. The memories will out shine the details we make a big deal over.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:40 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
AussieCraig's Avatar
 
City: Fulton TX
Country: USA
Vessel Name: The Salty Swallow - named by wife
Vessel Model: Private builder - 50' Trawler
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor of Fortune View Post
When I'm old and drooling on my death bed, the price of fuel won't matter. Either will the slant of my windshield, the shape of my anchor or if I ran a twin or single screw. Its all bull crap. The memories will out shine the details we make a big deal over.
Very true !!! I actually plan to die in a comfortable chair on the back deck of my boat...of alcoholic poisoning most likely....somewhere warm and sunny !
__________________
Craig 'Aussie' White
'Not all who wander are lost...'

AussieCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:44 PM   #19
JAT
Guru
 
JAT's Avatar
 
Country: US
Vessel Name: Just a Tinch
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44 MC
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Walt, after reading this forum, I think the newby would just give up when he realized he couldn't decide on an anchor much less a whole boat.
My thoughts exactly!!!
JAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:44 PM   #20
JAT
Guru
 
JAT's Avatar
 
Country: US
Vessel Name: Just a Tinch
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44 MC
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieCraig View Post
Very true !!! I actually plan to die in a comfortable chair on the back deck of my boat...of alcoholic poisoning most likely....somewhere warm and sunny !
There are worse ways to go......
__________________

JAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012