Old 03-12-2014, 10:15 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Tropical Blend
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 43
Intermittent Bow Thruster

I have a Nordhavn 43 with a Side Power SP95T bow thruster. last August, the drive leg was replaced with a sealed unit. We have been cruising down Mexico, and we are currently in Huatulco, preparing to cross the Gulf of Tehauntepec. A couple of weeks ago when we arrived in Ixtapa after an overnight cruise from Caleta de Campos, the drive leg failed to engage. The motor would spin in either direction, but no prop spin from the thruster. Later that morning in the dock, it worked fine. When we left the dock on tow different occasions, it worked fine. But when we returned, no operation. This is a pattern now - no operation after a cruise, but it works perfectly moments later. I have tried silly things, like stopping and starting the engine, resetting the breaker, etc. When we were in Acapulco attempting our first med-moor (not an easy task for a single screw with no bow thruster!), I repeatedly tried to engage it, and it finally did work. When we arrived here in Huatulco, no operation again. I am at my wit's end trying to figure out what could be wrong, and why it only fails after a long cruise. Has anyone experienced something like this before? Any ideas? Again, it doesn't seem to be electrical, and when it works, thrust is good in both directions.

Blender Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:44 AM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Houston
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
Attached (I hope) is the TS guide for my Side power unit. Also check your oil reservoir. As these units use a flexible motor/shaft coupling engaging shouldn't be the problem....

OK, the PDF file exceeds the allowable limit. If you PM me an email address I will forward the file to you.

Good luck!

Old 03-12-2014, 11:51 AM   #3
Guru

We have a similar thruster. Our "intermittent" problem it turned out to be caused by tired batteries. A few times, the thruster did not seem to operate properly and we tried to identify the cause. Then when most needed, the thruster packed in completely!! Replaced the batteries with 2 new 4Ds and problem solved. These thrusters draw up to 350 amps, so batteries need to be in good condition. If not the batteries (definitely check these first with a good load tester) then check/clean the carbon brushes and look for signs of corrosion at terminals/connections to the motor. If like ours, your thruster is in a water-tight compartment, then high humidity can do a number on the wiring connections.
Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:04 PM   #4
Guru

Having read your post again, have you considered that the problem might be in the switches/controls and not in the thruster itself. Perhaps a loose connection after the breaker going to the thruster. Do you have a solenoid switch going bad?
Old 03-12-2014, 12:31 PM   #5
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
So the motor runs, but no thrust? That sounds like a coupling between motor and leg, the leg itself, or the props slipping. Are you sure the motor is turning and props not turning? Not clear exactly what is happening.
Ski in NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:39 PM   #6
Guru

City: Port Orchard, WA
Vessel Name: Violet A
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Suggest you submit your problem to the experts:

questions@imtra.com

The five stages of life: Sailboats, Motorboats, Motor Homes, Nursing Home, Funeral Home.
windmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:49 PM   #7
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
Go for the easiest fix first: start at the batteries and check their water, check the voltage, check the connections, follow the cables and check the fuses/breakers, check the connections at the solenoids, at the motor. Check them all for tightness and corrosion, if you take them apart, make sure they're clean and reassemble with dielectric grease. Spray some contact cleaner inside the helm switch and work it about.

I don't know how this particular system works. It obviously has a solenoid for the motor, does it have one for the transmission? Solenoids seem to be the main source of failure in these systems, look closely at them. There is probably 4.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:40 PM   #8
Guru

City: DC
Vessel Name: Carolena II
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
Motor not running or running slow, often intermitent: likely lots of carbon build-up, worn brushes, stuck brushes (due to carbon) or a combination of these. Easy fix and you should find the guide on the Imtra site. They will also email you the relevant documents. We had this problem on the Tug.

Motor runs, but thruster prop doesn't engage: likely the shear pin. I've heard that sometimes the pin can break and get stuck in such a way that the thruster will still turn the prop intermitently, but have not seen it happen first hand.

If neither of these, most likely electrical - switch, solenoid, etc. Again, I'd contact Imtra. Their customer service is supposed to be excellent on the tech side.
Carolena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:50 PM   #9
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolena View Post
...the shear pin. I've heard that sometimes the pin can break and get stuck in such a way that the thruster will still turn the prop intermittently...
Good idea to check. It sounds like a coupling issue so it's a good place to start.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:53 PM   #10
Guru

Not that good a place to start if he's not hauled?
Old 03-12-2014, 05:57 PM   #11
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
He's in Mexico!! He can jump in the water and check it!!

That's a foreign concept to those up in Vancouver, I guess.
Ski in NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:00 PM   #12
Guru

Does the thruster work in one direction but not the other?? Is your "intermittent" for both port and starboard thrust?? Perhaps you have lost one of your two thruster props??
Old 03-12-2014, 06:13 PM   #13
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
Depends on the manufacturer. Our bow thruster (Vetus), the "safety" or shear pin can be changed in the water. Disable the electric, unbolt and lift the motor. The shear pin is right there. You can turn the input shaft with a screwdriver to see if rotates easily and verify there are no obstructions in the tunnel and then convince yourself that there are no more obstacles and reassemble.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:23 PM   #14
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
On our Sidepowers there are two shear pins. One is on the prop and the other between the motor and the gearleg. The gearleg one can be checked (and replaced) with the boat in the water by removing the motor.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:46 PM   #15
Guru

Clever. Thanks for clarifying.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:56 AM   #16
Guru

City: sydney
Vessel Name: Aquabelle
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Flushdeck
It's a Nordhavn: isn't the thruster hydraulic?
Aquabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:02 AM   #17
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquabelle View Post
It's a Nordhavn: isn't the thruster hydraulic?
Usually smaller nordhavn's aren't equipped with the hydraulic package (Stabilizers, windlass, thrusters, emergency bilge pump, anchor wash, etc) although I think their are some 47's with it, but I believe no 40's, or 43's due to lack of engine room space for the equipment but I could be wrong.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:11 AM   #18
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Blender boy, I'm curious if you have pulled the motor to inspect the coupling and drive system? That seems the most likely culprit based on the advice here and from the Nordhavn Owners group.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:32 AM   #19
Guru

If this thruster operates normally when it works - that is you hear the motor run normally, the thrust is good both to port and to starboard, but sometimes it just does nothing, then the cause is most likely an electrical problem. Other defects as suggested would most likely display other symptoms such as no thrust in one direction, harsh noises, etc. If it operates normally when it works, begin with the simple (hah ha!!) things like batteries, switches, wiring, solenoids. You indicated that the breaker does not go off, suggesting that there is no current overload as might be the case with a motor binding, bad bearings, or something jamming the system.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:07 AM   #20
Veteran Member

City: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Tropical Blend
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
So the motor runs, but no thrust? That sounds like a coupling between motor and leg, the leg itself, or the props slipping. Are you sure the motor is turning and props not turning? Not clear exactly what is happening.
Yes, this is exactly what is happening. The motor spins, but no prop thrust, and this only happens after we have been cruising. Five minutes later at the dock, it works just fine. I have contacted Imtra, and they have provided me with a list of things to check, but they are mostly electrical. Since the motor operates correctly at all times, I don't think there is an electrical issue. As you noted, I suspect there is an issue with the coupling between the motor and the drive leg. But what I can't figure out is why the problem is so consistent - it always fails after a cruise, and always works before a cruise.

Blender Boy is offline   Reply With Quote