installing instruments

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ddalme

Vessel Name
Relenti
Vessel Make
Atlantic 30, 1983
I want to install volt, water temp and oil pressure gauges on my flybridge. All I have is a tach and warning lights. I was told I can just jump off the lower helm gauges . Is it that easy?? Engine is a '83 TAMD40B Volvo.

Probably not...but not familiar with Volvo.

Most 2 station setups use different senders due to the dual gauges.

I want to install volt, water temp and oil pressure gauges on my flybridge. All I have is a tach and warning lights. I was told I can just jump off the lower helm gauges . Is it that easy?? Engine is a '83 TAMD40B Volvo.

Depends on the sensor/sending unit some are single gauge and some are for doubles. I replaced an oil pressure sending unit with what was thought to be the correct dual sender, the gauges (Stewart Warner) read less than half the normal pressure. The product numbers on my old gauges were 30 years old, had been superseded several times and the cross reference was hosed up. Took trial and error to find the correct sender.

Might be easier in the long run to buy a matched gauge and sending unit if you have an extra oil port to screw it into.

Last edited:
Usually the ohms of the sender are fail common in one of two categories, the either single or double station.

If you know the brand of gauge....maybe the manufacturer will be able to provide the correct ohm range.

When I had to replace an upper station instrument but didn't want to replace the lower, that is what I did with older VDO gauges and senders.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom