Installing a coolant overflow tank, any pics?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ksceviour

Vessel Name
Moderation
Vessel Make
Sea Lord 35
Our Perkins 6.3544 Range 4 doesn't have a coolant overflow (expansion) tank so I'm going to install one. Not so easy these days to find a non pressurized tank at a wreckers so a local parts counter was nice enough to search a replacement that fits a 91 chev pickup. Before I buy this though it would be nice to see a few installs.

Anyone with a pic or two of their non pressurized coolant overflow tank setup that they could share? Any ideas on a tank that's easily mountable?

I have always used the higher volume (2 qts) generic plastic overflow coolant tanks as they have the volume to handle the expansion and contraction (TCE) of the diesel coolant volumes in these diesels.
You can find them online and at places like autozone.

I was wondering about size. Saw some online from auto zone but wasn't didn't notice the volume. I'll look again.

If your main exchanger was never designed for an over flow system, then it is a lot of work to add one. Older engines use a simple cap without the necessary vacuum return valve. You would have to solder in an overflow nozzle in the filler neck, and then you have to have a filler cap that works with an overflow tank.

Take a look at how your car's overflow system works first. Or look at this video about how pressure cap that relieves to an overflow tank works-

David

Last edited:
ksceviour, I've got the same situation on my twin Range 4 Perkins. My local diesel guy just recently recommended I replace the "overflow", 1/4" i.d. tube from the nipple under the filler cap that drain into a pan under the engines, with new tubes (buy 10' at a hardware store, for twin engines). The tubing is pretty stiff, clear plastic and 1/2 gal clear plastic "big top" food containers. The tubing will need to be heated (hair dryer) with the opening slightly enlarged (drill bit) to slip over the nipple, then snaked down the old tubing track (use wire ties) to the reservoir. Make a hole in the screw top that "snuggly" holds the tubing. The tubing of course will be shoved to the bottom of the reservoir for proper up/down fluid flow. A little time consuming but it works fine. Sorry no pictures, just not enough room.

On my perkins ,I just put a anti-freeze jug under the engines in the tray with a hole in cap so hose would drain into. Seams to go in and out with no problem. and does not overflow.

Ordered a tank today from our marina. Looked around at some in wrecker yards and some new older model automotive types. Decided to go with one designed for marine use. Comes with a frame, cap and hose and will be easy to mount. I'll do it soon as shes out of the shop sporting her newly glassed sun deck and rub rail.

American Diesel sells a kit for Lehmans, it should work just as well for Perkins. I installed one on my old Grand Banks.

On my perkins ,I just put a anti-freeze jug under the engines in the tray with a hole in cap so hose would drain into. Seams to go in and out with no problem. and does not overflow.

Same with my 855 Cummins but placed in next to the heat exchanger.
Cost $0.
Same with the Kubota genset but with a 1.25litre soft drink bottle.
Same expenditure.
Recycled plastic is good.

Last edited:
Mercruiser make one,which my mechanic adapted to my Lehmans.

An overflow tank may be modern but for many boats its not the best choice.

The hassle is many old engines operate with a 3- 5lb pressure cap or less , and the new overflow cap may be 15psi or more.

Simply having a fill reservoir above the engine will allow the coolant to expand and contract , with no overflow.

Check the coolant level when the coolant is Hot , not at pre departure .

The game is to have the engine filled at all times with coolant , so there is no air in the cooling system, which improves cooling by about 25%.

This is why there in cars , the radiator can be 25% smaller (times 100,000 cars) makes sense.

On a boat where height is not as restricted as in a vehicle , a simple reservoir works just fine.

The pressure cap is on the reservoir , not on the engine

Last edited:
I used a plastic tube and a 1 gallon antifreeze container

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom