injector pump leaks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

obthomas

Guru
Vessel Name
TheVenture
Vessel Make
1985 Bestway Labelle Sundeck 40ft
My boat was a dock queen when I purchased her nearly 4 yeas ago. I started using her recently and have had a rash of injector pump leaks. I have cycled through the old diesel that was in the boat and now have all new. Is it just 28 year old o-rings leaking or is the new fuel (low sulphur and possible bio content) causing the o-rings to start leaking. fixed four leaks in the last two months and a new one today to be fixed. Anyone else having a rash of fuel o-rings leaking?

Probable both, but more than likely age. However the new low sulfur diesel does cause damage to older gaskets and rubber. Make sure you check the oil level to make sure deisel is not being pump into the oil sump. If the oil level is high and/or thin clean looking, you need to replace the pump also.

If you are pulling injectors may as well do all of them and be done with it.

sd

The fact that you recently started using the boat probably has more to do with the problem. O-ring seals on shafts will take a "set" when not used for a long period and that kind of leakage is common.

Low and ultra-low sulfur diesel has been around for a long time now so that is probably not the issue.

I have another leak! The first was an o ring at the high pressure head starboard. The second was an o ring on the timing slide cover on port. Then a third o ring on the cover above the timing slide on port. Fourth the top cover on the starboard pump. Fifth the top cover on Port. All this within a few months......

So far I have made all the repairs and o-rings are cheap. Looking back I should have sent both injector pumps off for a re-seal.:facepalm:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom