impeller removal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What if you have a dry exhaust???? There must be a pump that circulates the coolant thought the keel cooler, hmm lemme go hunt it down.

Usually depends on YOUR PARTICULAR boat on how it set up...but on many keel cooled boats there is a booster pump beyond the engine coolant pump....often a rubber vaned pump much like the rest described here.

Its like psneeld said all depends on your setup.I have dry exhaust Perkins 63544 and the coolant pump on engine takes care off the keel cooler.If I had wet exhaust then I would need raw water pump.

Sea-Dog makes pullers similar to the Jabsco ones but at about half the price.
I'd post a link on where to buy them but forum rules prevent me.:)

I've always used the two screw driver method but I do worry about damage to the housing.

I pull my raw water impeller all the time, lub it and reinstall it. It’s become easy and fast. Since Dec . I have covered 1700 miles and had it out twice. Practice makes perfect

So, when does one decide to replace the impeller? When engine temperatures become higher than normal or when the wet exhaust is heading toward "dry"? What?

Every two years

Every two years

I'd go by what the engine mfr recommends, but I also use 2 years/200-250 hrs as a change interval.

Delta_JimS, I've been told that it works. The first time I have a hard time removing the impeller, I'll try it myself. Hasn't really been a problem so far. I do have some small L-shaped picks that help my grab it from behind.

img_203894_0_0fe8b455bb817141392be865a391bde4.jpg

Like many engines, my 4.236 Perkins leave too little room aft of the pump (and fwd of the starter) to fit an impeller puller.

Last edited:
Thanks. I'll schedule that at the next engine maintenance cycle (mid-summer 2014).

Thanks Oliver and Al you guys are the best!

Wow, that sure looks easy. Great tool. That Yanmar must be in the shop, the only way I could get that much room is to remove the injector pump. Which is not going to happen.

One of the local charter captains in our marina routinely swaps the whole water pump every year. His "old" one goes home where he can easily replace the impeller on the bench.

-Chris

One of the local charter captains in our marina routinely swaps the whole water pump every year. His "old" one goes home where he can easily replace the impeller on the bench. -Chris
The pump on my Hinos have to be removed to change out the impeller because the engine mount is behind it & there isn't enough clearance to get it out of the housing. After 3+ years of searching I bought a used pump to swap out when it's impeller time. I would of bought a new pump but the cost was almost $1400.00. My reason is that I can remove and replace without having to crawl in and out of the bilge twice and if one fails during a cruise all I have to do is install the impeller & end plate & swap it out, I won't leave it in the spares with a impeller in it.

Success! went to Harbor Freight and bought some 11in long pliers with a 90 degree turn at the nose. The jaws opened wide enough to slide between the vanes and with the long handle there was plenty of space to tap with a hammer and it slid straight off. Only $ 7.00 invested.

Back
Top Bottom