Impeller problems Perkins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pack Mule

TF Site Team
Vessel Name
Slo-Poke
Vessel Make
Jorgensen custom 44
The engine was running about 195 to 200 at 1800 rpms so I decided to change impeller . 4 of the 8 vanes were shot . I fished everything out of the oil cooler and changed impeller . Now I can't get any water out of exhaust . Does this Jabsco pump need to be burped or primed? I have water standing in the pump but can't get it past the pump . I took the small hose off at the exhaust elbow and filled with water but not pumping any water . I've changed impeller before and no issues . The thru hull is open .

Last edited:
Ok I'm getting water out now but not as much as before. Maybe need to rebuild pump?

Finally burped itself . 1800rpm 6.5 Knots 180 degrees

Is this the Sherwood pump? You used the gasket that came with the new impeller right and lubed the impeller when you put it in. And you're sure you got all the bits and pieces out of the system between the pump and heat exchanger.

It should pump a high volume of water right away. If all else is true, I would suspect you have wear inside the pump. The cam lobe and backing plate are replaceable and need to be replaced when there is wear or you will have suction issues getting the pump going.

They're easy to replace and you don't have to remove the pump and drive to do it.

I'm not sure I went back and primed it at the oil cooler and after a few cranks and run at idle she took a low end sound and started to spit out more water . After that it just got better and better . Sloppy Perkins running much cooler now .

I have Jabsco pumps that need a little bump in power to get the pump flowing.

Years ago, I had a worn wear plate (on the backside of the impeller) that I didn't even know existed. A call to Jabsco solved that problem...and they mailed me a free wear plate to boot!

Glad to hear you're back up and running, Marty!

I have Jabsco pumps that need a little bump in power to get the pump flowing.

Years ago, I had a worn wear plate (on the backside of the impeller) that I didn't even know existed. A call to Jabsco solved that problem...and they mailed me a free wear plate to boot!

Glad to hear you're back up and running, Marty!
Thanks Al . I ran it up to 2,000 Rpm and it stayed at 180 deg . Now we just sippin on some California Ghost Pines .

Back
Top Bottom