Old 02-04-2015, 10:03 PM   #21
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
The plug should fit pretty snug in the impeller as I recall so it shouldn't fall out as you put the plate on. I always pack Super Lube gel behind the plug.

The number on the plate is the part number of the plate itself not the whole pump, again as I recall.

Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 10:50 PM   #22
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Bill, Jabsco pumps have the pump model number on the plate. I don't know about the Johnson pumps that RTF has. That's a good thing to know about Jabsco pumps. With the Jabsco model number you can often buy parts and replacement pumps from a Jabsco dealer much cheaper than you can from the engine dealer.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:28 AM   #23
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. cj. If you're offering the Jabsco pump to me, thanks but I have a brand new spare Johnson pump somewhere aboard. It's in a safe place along with my stainless steel staples, oak wedges, and a plethora of other "important" stuff I just can't find at the moment (took me 3/4 hour to find my bin of sandpapaer-yup, in the OTHER "safe place). My marina neighbor has a standard comment regarding "safe places-LOB (lost on board).
Old 04-18-2015, 12:37 AM   #24
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
Any info on the rule of thumb on end space on new impellers and end plates, versus worn in ones? Putting on a new end plate, and I can't recall the info from years ago.

Also, regarding flipping end plates, it rubs off the only numbers you will have to locate a replacement end plate. When flipping it, make sure you write down the numbers and order a new end plate to put into the 'safe place'.
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 02:44 AM   #25
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
I don't know how you would vary the end space. I just push the impeller all the way in and the paper gasket sets the end space. As the end plate wears, the gap opens and the pump loses suction.

Good advise about recording the numbers when you flip the plate. I usually try to scratch or write it on the worn side of the plate itself.
Old 04-18-2015, 07:04 AM   #26
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
I can't recall exactly, but I think it was three gaskets on a new plate, two gaskets on the first new impeller, and one gasket on the next then flip of the plate. For three more seasons. The old mechanic I worked with had many idioms like this but I never wrote them down. Age bring what it is makes the recollection more difficult. Actually after discussing this with another engineer the mention of Manila Folder being used first and paper as the plate wears.
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 07:39 AM   #27
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
If the plate has a recess from impeller wear, one could lap it flat with some sandpaper and/or lapping compound.

Probably easier and not too expensive to buy a new one though.
Northern Spy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 09:45 AM   #28
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappy208 View Post
I can't recall exactly, but I think it was three gaskets on a new plate, two gaskets on the first new impeller, and one gasket on the next then flip of the plate. For three more seasons. The old mechanic I worked with had many idioms like this but I never wrote them down. Age bring what it is makes the recollection more difficult. Actually after discussing this with another engineer the mention of Manila Folder being used first and paper as the plate wears.
A new pump goes with only one gasket installed in it.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 10:45 AM   #29
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
A new pump goes with only one gasket installed in it.
Yes.

Last week when changing impellers (every 18 months/300 hours or less) I asked my favorite mechanic to come aboard and inspect Jabsco pumps for issues going forward. His recommendation - Pumps are approaching 1900 hours, plates are getting worn, rebuilds are iffy and not cost effective, we leave dock for months on end and small ones like ours are a standard throw away item. His thoughts for another trouble free decade - they have one more season in them. BTW this guy replaces about 50 pumps/impellers per season and has been doing it for 30 years on engines big and small. Most Jabscos do use the little rubber spacer, keeps the plate from wearing and grabbing impeller edges.

For those who don't stray far from home and have a get home engine, many run them until they leak. Many but not all.

sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote