Impeller change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I considered the Speedseal kit, but didn't pull the trigger for some reason. Any bad experiences with Speedseal?

I have installed Speed Seals on my 4JH3TE Yanmar's. Easy to install and easy to remove the cover. As to life of the impeller...they claim 2 to 3 times normal life. I'm at 374 hrs going into this season.

Thanks
Norm

Success. My starboard engine is almost impossible to change the impeller. I talked to the mechanic that had been servicing the boat for the previous 15 years. He said that you had to remove the water pump in order to change the impeller and that it was one of his most hated jobs that he did. As I previously posted I bought a Jabsco puller and instead of using the T handle I used allthread with double nuts to pull the impeller. Getting the new impeller in looked to be really tough. I bought an impeller insertion tool that you slide the impeller into and then put the impeller tool into the pump, then pull the tool out. It was a bit difficult pulling the tool out, but once I learned how to use a large screwdriver to lever the tool out it was easy. I now think that with the impeller tool, impeller puller and the new Speedseals that I could change it in under 20 minutes. No financial interest in any of these products, just a very happy user.

Can you post a link to the insertion tool?

Impellertool.com is where I got it. Found it in another post here on TF.

Back
Top Bottom