I messed up!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
... When we start engines one of us goes to the aft deck and watches the exhaust as each engine starts. The purpose is to confirm the raw water system is working and to see if anything undesired--- like rust-- is in that first shot or two of water...
/QUOTE]
I was checking out an IG 32 with twin raw water cooled(no heat exchangers) 80hp Lehmans. On starting, bits of shell etc were ejected with the water.

FF
Would you happen to have a pic of the Y filter install?

I was checking out an IG 32 with twin raw water cooled(no heat exchangers) 80hp Lehmans. On starting, bits of shell etc were ejected with the water.

That can be a problem.We have a sea cock on the forward port side that services the raw water wash down pump and the Eutectic refrigeration system.

I ran into a problem with water flow to the eutectic system, and tracing it back found that when we were using the wash down pump to clean the anchor sometimes we were surrounded by great clouds of mud, and some of that was being drawn back into the sea cock and then through the Y valve into the raw water Eutectic line.

We now put a little stern way on the boat when washing down the anchor to keep the sea cock clear of any anchor crud.

Last edited:
We now put a little stern way on the boat when washing down the anchor to keep the sea cock clear of any anchor crud.

That's a very good idea, thanks. I think we'll start doing that, too. We have two engine raw water intakes and the intake for our big, previous-owner-installed 1hp AC motor-driven washdown pump in the bottom of the boat near the forward end of the engine room. Never occurred to me until just now that some of the mud and muck that got washed off the anchor might circle under and get into the intakes. We always have both engines running when we're retrieving the anchor, and of course the washdown pump's going, too.

On our Hatteras there is a T on the raw water which pumps directly out the side so you can quickly glance down from the flybridge to confirm water is pumping.

To the OP - running a water pump dry can heat up the rubber so it is not as stiff. They make look good but will bend too much under pressure and not pump as much volume which is probably what you experienced. Definitely good you changed them out...especially if you have never done it!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom