Old 07-02-2019, 06:55 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Hyunatic steering failure reports

Here is the question...

Has anybody here ever suffered, or heard of a complete failure of a hyunatic steering system that did not result from a fluid loss???

Even if you have had a fluid loss and failure It would be interesting to hear about it.

The reason I ask is that as part of replacing my autopilot pump, i am in a position to install isolation valves, not just for the pump, but for the helm stations as well. I could even install a second autopilot pump, and even connect it to a 12V switch creating a electric operated steering station.

Anything I do to increase the complexity of the system also introduces risk of leaks though.

I have never experienced or even heard about a Hyunatic steering system failure though, so perhaps Iím over thinking this and should just install the new pump and enjoy my boat.

So... Please do tell about Hyunatic steering failures you have experienced, so we can determine how often they occur, and if isolation valves alone could be used to restore functionality.

www.boatparts4less.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 07:05 PM   #2
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Fluid loss is not the cause, the cause is that which created the fluid loss. They are very simple systems. A complete loss of pressure in the tank might cause extreme difficulty, but not total failure, I don't think (but don't know).

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 07:09 PM   #3
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
The only failure I had with the system was the helm pump getting air in it and requiring 25+ turns lock to lock. Interestingly, the autopilot pump continued to work flawlessly.

If you truly want to over think this, install a float switch in the reservoir to trigger an alarm if you develop a fluid leak. Guess you could also add a pressure switch to alarm if you loose reservoir air pressure.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 07:10 PM   #4
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Caroliner
Vessel Model: 28' Spira San Miguel
Interesting subject. I hope others chime in. I am looking at their under mount 2 cubic inch helm pump for my boat. I thought about a second station on the aft cabin back deck for docking. And electric joystick for steering sounds like fun maybe not in function though. My boat's cabin top will not be substantial enough for a flybridge.

Oops, it's a Seastar back mount helm.
SeaStar Solutions

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 08:28 PM   #5

City: Lottsburg, Va
Vessel Name: Amazing Grace
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 52 Sedan
When we bought the OA 18 months ago, the seals on the steering ram (probably the wrong term) in the lazerette were leaking. Between Ft Lauderdale and Miami enough fluid leaked to where we lost steering; fortunately in the ocean. Steering with the engines in the swell carved a nice "S" in the water. My son said not to worry, just looked like all the other drunks offshore Miami. It was a bit exciting taking her up the Miami River to Cay Marine for a little work. The seals were replaced along with the lost fluid and the system has worked well since. We have a Hynautic system.
bnoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 08:32 PM   #6
Guru

City: Bay Saint Louis, Mississippi, (or where the anchor drops)
Vessel Model: 1973 42 Bertram MY
We had a complete fluid loss. The cause was a line that was damaged by a self tapping, over length screw that had been subtly abrading the hydraulic hose for no telling long before it sprung a leak.

Biggest problem was cleaning up the hydraulic fluid mess out of the bilge. Other than that, it was an easy repair.

And, we drove the boat home and back into the slip just using the engines to steer, also quite easily.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:40 PM   #7
Guru

When we sea-trialed our boat, the wheel took far too many turns to steer. The culprit was a dried out seal in the auto-pilot that leaked out the oil in the system. When ahead and bought the boat, removed the pump, replaced the seal.....and that was 21 years ago.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 08:44 PM   #8
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Buddy of mine bought a boat last fall with Hynautic steering. Everything was fine for 2 days moving the boat to his home. Then the front seal on the helm pump shaft started leaking. As he didn't have a working autopilot, it went from minor to major in a matter of hours. Replacing the seal requires disassembling the helm pump. As preventative maintenance, I'm probably going to have the seals in the pump replaced and the rudder cylinder rebuilt. While I think isolating parts of the system may be a good backup plan, rebuilding helm pump(s) and rudder cylinder is probably a better plan.

Ted

"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote