Hull Leaks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dave_E

Vessel Name
Agnus Dei
Vessel Make
36' Shin Shing
Hi All,

The good ship is on the hard for the shaft log leak repair. Couple of things I found while doing the work. Found cement in the bottom of the boat (I have heard of cement used as ballast). After 6 days on the hard, I still have water coming out of the hull (see pictures). Seems to be where the hull halves meet (if they built them that way). An issue? That’s a drip in the second photo. Also the bearing case did not come off the boat.

Dave

Attachments

• D6857FD9-80BF-424F-B4CB-AF301AECF586.jpg
    D6857FD9-80BF-424F-B4CB-AF301AECF586.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 130
  • 970A577A-1816-4486-B20D-A1719B6104AB.jpg
    970A577A-1816-4486-B20D-A1719B6104AB.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
are you saying port and starboard halfs?

Greetings,
Mr. DE. Yup, recognize that one, for sure. Had the same in a 34' MT many years ago. Same concrete in the keel. I vaguely recall drilling a hole towards the bottom of the keel and tapping for a drain plug or maybe that was just something I saw. CRA (Can't Remember Anything) disease. We were in fresh water if that makes any difference...

Chris Craft used to build the 47’ Commander hull in 3 pieces. Can you see any cracks where they come together? If so some glass work may be in order.

I also had a "leak" below the shaft log on my Albin. I ended up drilling/tapping for 3/8 npt and put a allen head plug to stop the water from coming out and in.
Then I found the source....the PO or builder had screwed the bilge pump into the hull and it was allowing water to get in. I patched the holes and that stopped the water.
BUT it took 3 seasons of me removing the plug at fall haulout and letting the water drain until it finally stopped.

Dave, just saw this and I’ll email you later but didn’t the survey find this? I would be a bit unhappy with whomever did the survey.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom