Go Back   Trawler Forum > Maintenance and Systems > Power Systems

Old 02-24-2015, 01:48 PM   #41
A turbo will add power to a small engine , so it can make more power like a bigger engine.

If your boat is a Sport Fish , usually run on the pin and you need a few extra K its a fine idea.

Most cruisers are way back on power consumption , traveling at displacement speeds , most engines are far too large , not too small.

All the bucks on a turbo, inter cooler and the added maint go to waste when the cruise RPM is so low the turbo produces no boost , its just a fancy plug in the exhaust.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 02:02 PM   #42
City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
If engines are far too large, then yes, unnecessary. But also no harm in it being there. Many if not most modern engines come from the factory with turbos, so you are stuck with what is available.

My boat, like many others on here, is "dual purpose", capable of running well past hull speed, but also capable of good efficiency at trawler or hull speed. The turbo is a necessary part of being able to do that.

Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 03:40 PM   #43
City: Gloucester, MA
My turbo boosts at normal cruise speed of around 8kts. Not full boost, but it's definitely working.
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 04:30 PM   #44
City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Originally Posted by Capt Nemo View Post
OK, Gotta ask. There are a few NO TURBO guys here Please tell my why.

After many years as a mechanic a turbo is a method to squeeze more power from a engine, it's also a failure point and expensive to repair. At the RPMs I normally cruise a turbo wouldn't be doing much to add power or economy to the engine and I wanted a diesel boat without a turbo. Basically a turbo to me wasn't worth the work and cost to repair if they grenade.

Ron on Northern Lights II
I don't like making plans for the day because the word "premeditated" gets thrown around in the courtroom.
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote