Old 11-07-2018, 04:26 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Chattanooga
Vessel Name: Dream Chaser
Vessel Model: 38' Marine Trader FB Aft Cabin
How to Evaluate Stale Engines

Hi all
Newbie currently looking at a few boats in my search for the perfect one. I'm limited in initial budget, so some of the vessels I'm considering have been on the hard for more than a couple of years.

One in particular has twin Ford Lehman's that the seller states "worked great until I pulled the boat". It hasn't been in the water for 3 years.

The rest of the boat looks well kept and good shape except for an obvious need to re-caulk the teak decking.

So how do I evaluate the engines. If the fluids are changed, can they be turned over out of water? Newbie question Background is all sailboats, so I appreciate any suggestions!
Old 11-07-2018, 04:49 PM   #2
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
A marine engine can be started on the hard. Keep it near idle and only run for 30 seconds. An easy cold start says a lot of good things about an engine.

If you want to run it longer then put a garden hose in the strainer. The engine will suck up the water. You can’t put a load on it, but running it for five minutes should let the smoke clear.

If it starts within five seconds and the smoke clears within a few minutes then it is worth a real seatrial.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 04:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Thanks-
Any concerns with fluids that set for a few years for a cold start? Is it advisable to change, drain and replace, or if things look and smell ok, a short start is ok with old fluids?
Old 11-07-2018, 04:58 PM   #4
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
BradC,you didn`t ask about the teak decking but,if it is a boat of the vintage the durable twin Lehmans imply,consider if it needs more than recaulking. You may be faced with replacing the teak, or removal and conversion to a painted f/g finish, which can be as expensive as fixing engines.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 05:00 PM   #5
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Don't worry about the fluids. They can be changed later. Make sure fluid levels are ok, though.

Do bring a big wrench and rotate each engine a few turns before doing any start attempt.

Try to get some water to the sea water pump as its impeller is likely dry, it will shred if run dry. Other than that you can idle the engines without raw water flow for a minute or so. Long enough to know if they are poop or not.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 05:01 PM   #6
Guru

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: IG 30
As long as there is oil in the engine and transmissions you can turn the engines over. You may destroy the impellers in the process so the owner may not be to thrilled at the idea. Typically the batteries are dead so starting may not be an option. Even with a good battery the starters may have rusted so the starters will spin but won't engage.

You can run the engines on just the fresh water system until they reach operating temp.(although the impellers will be toast) At that point you will need the raw water cooling or you could overheat the engines.

You can bar the engines over by putting a wrench on the crank nut. Might be a 7/8 or 15/16 wrench. If the engines turn, they are probably OK.
SoWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 08:09 PM   #7
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Don't worry about the fluids. They can be changed later. Make sure fluid levels are ok, though.

Do bring a big wrench and rotate each engine a few turns before doing any start attempt.

Try to get some water to the sea water pump as its impeller is likely dry, it will shred if run dry. Other than that you can idle the engines without raw water flow for a minute or so. Long enough to know if they are poop or not.
Dishwashing liquid bath on impeller,after pulling cover?
Old 11-07-2018, 08:51 PM   #8

City: Toronto ON
safety first, make sure the props are clear...

unintended spin could be a catastrophe.
Roamer Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 02:38 AM   #9
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
Take the impeller out if you're not going to supply water. When you put them back in, if they look ok and are pliable, put waterproof grease in the housing and on the end plate. Just smear it with your finger. That way when it does pump it's first water the pumps will have better suction because the grease seals better than the impeller alone.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 06:01 AM   #10
FF
Guru

If the boat is worth the effort to attempt a start , yes, remove the sea water impeller.

If the engine cranks and seems OK, purchase a new impeller and seal and install it.

The huge PIA of an impeller shedding pieces to be chased and perhaps requiring massive removal of parts to reverse flush , is simply not worth the cost of an impeller.

So if you buy her you are way ahead.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:18 AM   #11
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradC View Post
Hi all
Newbie currently looking at a few boats in my search for the perfect one. I'm limited in initial budget, so some of the vessels I'm considering have been on the hard for more than a couple of years.

One in particular has twin Ford Lehman's that the seller states "worked great until I pulled the boat". It hasn't been in the water for 3 years.

The rest of the boat looks well kept and good shape except for an obvious need to re-caulk the teak decking.

So how do I evaluate the engines. If the fluids are changed, can they be turned over out of water? Newbie question Background is all sailboats, so I appreciate any suggestions!
Is this a where is as is sale? If not, suggest you have the owner satisfy these engine operable questions and demonstrate and represent via the listing broker that the engines are currently in good working order.

Further, the owner should pay for and take responsibility for getting the vessel in the water, sitting and ready for a visual inspection prior to survey. Hopefully no egregious leaks and mechanical/electrical problems are noted. Then you can consider an offer followed by a survey and sea trial to put the vessel through its paces.

Beware of unused vessels, especially when on the hard. It may not have been in the water for 3 (or more) years for a multitude of reasons.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:00 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Is this a where is as is sale? If not, suggest you have the owner satisfy these engine operable questions and demonstrate and represent via the listing broker that the engines are currently in good working order.

Further, the owner should pay for and take responsibility for getting the vessel in the water, sitting and ready for a visual inspection prior to survey. Hopefully no egregious leaks and mechanical/electrical problems are noted. Then you can consider an offer followed by a survey and sea trial to put the vessel through its paces.

Beware of unused vessels, especially when on the hard. It may not have been in the water for 3 (or more) years for a multitude of reasons.

This is an "as is" listing. The seller is in another state. He pulled the boat when he moved 3yrs ago with the intention of retrieving it, but do to financial issues, was unable. Has no problem if I want to pay for the haul and drop for a sea trial, but won't pay for it himself. The price is low for the boat, so even if it required a few grand to return to basic order, well worth it. Not worth it if I need to rebuild one or more engines, however.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:01 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
If the boat is worth the effort to attempt a start , yes, remove the sea water impeller.

If the engine cranks and seems OK, purchase a new impeller and seal and install it.

The huge PIA of an impeller shedding pieces to be chased and perhaps requiring massive removal of parts to reverse flush , is simply not worth the cost of an impeller.

So if you buy her you are way ahead.

Thank you. I like not creating additional work for myself, regardless of the type...