Old 07-25-2016, 05:36 AM   #21
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
What Ted said.....

Fuel planning can be done down to a gnats butt....however in reality as it's been said. Wind and tide will have the biggest effect unless you don't plan ahead and buy your fuel in the best spots.

I saw fuel vary last year from a $1.75 to over $3.00 along my limited 300 mile range. So, even though I do look ahead and try to plan around some predictable extreme tidal flows... it is not always is just that simple...but where I buy fuel is always under my control.

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 11:10 AM   #22
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post

I saw fuel vary last year from a $1.75 to over $3.00 along my limited 300 mile range. .
I just pulled some current Florida numbers. Let's say you're sitting in Fort Lauderdale and heading north. In Fort Lauderdale, you can plan and pay as little as $1.95 for a fuel truck delivery or wait until you're in North Palm and pay $3.08 at Old Port Cove. If you're low on fuel and have to purchase at Port Canaveral then it's $2.77 at Ocean Club, but wait for Jacksonville and pay $2.30 at Lambs. Or if you plan it right then wait for Brunswick, GA and pay $1.84 at Ocean Petroleum. So, by filling in Fort Lauderdale and next in Brunswick, I could average $1.90 per gallon or by filling at a marina in Fort Lauderdale or Palm and then again in Canaveral I could have averaged $2.90 per gallon. By planning my fuel purchases I could save 34% on that trip or probably about $400 by selecting the least expensive fuel options. That is without changing my cruising habits at all.

We consume a lot of fuel and we aren't going to slow down to displacement speeds but we definitely are aware of fuel pricing.

Also, if you're filling, buying larger quantities, you open up the possibility of many discounts. Last, don't hesitate to ask. If we're planning on docking at Ess-Kay in Brewerton and Winter Harbor, across the canal is 10 cents a gallon cheaper, we won't hesitate to ask Ess-Kay to match. We could just as easily the next morning on our way out fuel at Winter Harbor. Oh, and we're not about to pay the price at Brewerton Boat Yard which is 70 cents higher. Now, typically for 10 cents a gallon, we're not going to inconvenience ourselves, just ask for a courtesy match, but for 70 cents a gallon we sure will.

Our biggest disparity is cruising regularly to the Bahamas. Right now the going rate there is around $4 versus the $1.95 above in Fort Lauderdale. In our ideal world we leave home full and arrive back home with 20% of a tank.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 02:06 PM   #23

City: North of Texas
My thinking was limited to just what the boat used, but using range to take advantage of price variations makes a ton of sense. Thanks guys.
HeadedToTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 02:53 PM   #24
FF
Guru

Cheap fuel is nice , CLEAN fuel much better.

Stop where the fish boats (real trawlers) fill, but be advised they may have BIG nozzles and big pumps.

But if its not busy they will deal best for CA$H.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 04:31 PM   #25
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Cheap fuel is nice , CLEAN fuel much better.

Stop where the fish boats (real trawlers) fill, but be advised they may have BIG nozzles and big pumps.

But if its not busy they will deal best for CA$H.
It can be both. We do find commercial marinas to offer both, but also fuel trucks do, and many marinas are high volume and very clean.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 06:21 PM   #26

City: North of Texas
And it's water that makes diesel un-clean?
HeadedToTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:12 PM   #27

City: New England to Florida
Vessel Name: Tadhana
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38 Pilothouse
Our Helmsman 38 displaces about 26,000. We carry 400 fuel and 150 water. We have a fully electronic engine so we can, and do record our fuel burn and graph it. The fuel tanks are amidships, and they make little difference in trim. We burn 2.5 gph at 7 kt. cruise fully loaded and 2.4 at light load. the fuel tanks are amidships and as the fuel load decreases the boat comes up almost level. On the other hand, the water tanks are quite far aft. When fully loaded they do cause us to burn more, particularly if our fuel load is light. When fuel is light and water is full we cannot make rated RPM only get to 2550. Full fuel and half water we hit 2560. So at the end of the day yes you might see a few percentage points savings but at the end of the year the net effect on the cost of boat ownership is decimal dust.

tadhana is online now   Reply With Quote