How can you fix it if you can't get parts - planned obsolescence?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BelfastCruiser

Veteran Member
Hey all. I thought I'd jump on the 4stroke bandwagon and upgrade the outboards. I purchased a used 4 stroke 8 horse (no problems so far!) and a*lightly used*3.5 HP. I had a problem with the 3.5 and took off the carb. There is a broken plastic choke plate that neeeds to be replaced. The plate is pressed into the carb body, but is removeable. (See enclosed photo) I've called*all over the place trying to*get just the plastic plate- nope! I checked the schematics for the carb, and no part number for the choke plate. Everyone WILL sell me a new carb @ $200.

So,* here's my question to the group. Would you'all try to epoxy the plate back together? IF it should again break again and bits of the expoxy got sucked into the intake, what kind of damge would be done? Gamble/No Gamble?

Thanks - Kevin O

Attachments

• dscf1978.jpg
    dscf1978.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 88
My first thought would be that I think I'd prefer to make a new plate rather than epoxy the old one for the reason you stated...if pieces get sucked into the enigne. *Could you make one out of steel, or brass, or Al?

Or maybe plastic weld for a reapir?

* Make a new one from Lexan with your drimil tool.

I'd absolutely epoxy it back together.* JB Weld would be my 1st choice.* The original broke off and didn't go through the engine so what makes you think your repair will end up getting ingested?* If its the plate itself you're worried about I'd be surprised if it would make it through the intake manifold, let alone*past an intake valve.* There's millions of automobiles running around with that same choke plate held to the shaft by little brass screws and I don't see any epidemic of engines destroyed by eating those brass screws.

bobofthenorth wrote:* JB Weld would be my 1st choice. ________________________________________________________________
It's a perfect application for JB Weld.

*The original broke off and didn't go through the engine so what makes you think your repair will end up getting ingested?*

I'd be more worried about pieces of epoxy, JB weld, whatever. They can clog tiny fuel orifices, and/or damage internals. In my opinion that is.

I once had a Chevy 292 motor blow because it ingested a screw.*Broke the piston top and cylinder wall (when I was towing a boat actually). *So maybe I'm a little more conservativve now.

Always try to easiest fix first. I'd try putting it back together, then make a new one, then buy a new carb if the first two solutions didn't work.

Thanks ALL! I'm going to go the JB Weld route and have a request in to Mastertech to see if they've got a drowned engine they can scab the carb from (Thanks Larry M - I didn't know about these guys before).

Back
Top Bottom