Old 02-22-2016, 07:22 AM   #21
FF
Guru

"It also means that when on the hook we have no microwave or coffee maker. My wife misses her Keurig in the morning."

Usually a $100-$150 inverter will take care of the lifestyle , with no increase in battery capacity , as the operation is short.

A 1000W inverter will use 100Amps for a min reheating a cup.Not much in amp hours.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:10 AM   #22
Guru

City: Northport
"Another AC draw for us will be a CPAP machine for my wife. She just started to use one a couple months ago and it makes a huge difference for her. Currently, we can't use it on our boat without shore power. "

We cruise often with two different folks that use the CPAP machines. They have them configured with stand alone batteries that are good for about 25 hours a piece. They always have two batteries available and never rely on shore power even if we are at docks. Recharge times seem to be about 3 hours per battery so they can do that while underway or with a genset running - this is what they use when camping and one when they went on a cruise.

smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:16 AM   #23
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"It also means that when on the hook we have no microwave or coffee maker. My wife misses her Keurig in the morning."

Usually a $100-$150 inverter will take care of the lifestyle , with no increase in battery capacity , as the operation is short.

A 1000W inverter will use 100Amps for a min reheating a cup.Not much in amp hours.
It's not much in amp hours but it's quite a bit in amps. You need battery capacity (and heavy cables) to provide that much current without a voltage drop.

Also, a 1000 watt inverter draws significantly more than 1000 watts of power from the inverter. The "1000 watts" is "cooking power" not power consumption. Look at the label on the back for actual power consumption and the amount of power needed from the inverter.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:23 AM   #24
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
......... It also means that when on the hook we have no microwave or coffee maker. .
I installed a 2000 watt inverter in our boat (four group 31 AGM batteries for a house bank) and we make significant use of the microwave and coffee maker (not at the same time) on our boat. I don't regret doing this.

For this to work, it's important to do the job right. Good batteries, good wiring and good inverter, not something from Harbor Freight. Mine has a built in transfer switch so there's no need to move plugs around or do anything else.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:34 AM   #25
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
2 theories on inverters...use several small cheap ($100 or so) ones that can be easily replaced or use one or more big, nice expensive one(s) that when it doesn't work...you are back to the genset or without till fixed/replaced (time and $$$).

I too like the concept of two really nice, powerful inverters dealing with AC on my boat...but when they start costing 1/10 the total cost of my vessel...I tend to look for reasonable alternatives.

If I ever get to the point where solar replaces my genset....I may buy into the nice inverter setup and skip the genset.

On many boats the genset is just too integral and thus the big inverter setup to me is a bit too much redundancy unless I spent a load of time in remote places and they were needed as backup for a genset.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 10:07 AM   #26
Guru

"On many boats the genset is just to integral and thus the big inverter setup to me is a bit too much redundancy unless I spent a load of time in remote places and they were needed as backup for a genset."

I definitely agree with this - once you are heating or cooling anything you are in the area where a genset will be running and then you can charge/run everything else. Cooking, icemaker, reefer, A/C , heat etc are not really suited to an inverter as I learned on a past boat.
For the really remote trips I would bring along my portable genset to get by until the main unit were to be repaired.
YMMV
Old 02-22-2016, 11:03 AM   #27
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty477 View Post
I definitely agree with this - once you are heating or cooling anything you are in the area where a genset will be running and then you can charge/run everything else. Cooking, icemaker, reefer, A/C , heat etc are not really suited to an inverter as I learned on a past boat.
All depends on size. We have a 12v refrigerator, 12v diesel furnace, and propane stove. No icemaker or AC. 12v adaptors take care of charging the electronic gadgets. Our battery bank is only about 850amp hours yet is plenty.

Granted, we don't get the experience of kicking back in an AC cooled saloon, sipping an iced drink while watching TV. Barbaric I know.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 11:16 AM   #28
Guru

"All depends on size. We have a 12v refrigerator, 12v diesel furnace, and propane stove. No icemaker or AC. 12v adaptors take care of charging the electronic gadgets. Our battery bank is only about 850amp hours yet is plenty.

Granted, we don't get the experience of kicking back in an AC cooled saloon, sipping an iced drink while watching TV. Barbaric I know."

And that works really fine I am sure for certain boating spots and durations. So if it works then that is all that matters.
FWIW - we also have 12 reefer, and can cook without electric and make hot water off of an engine. But when we are on longer trips or if someone wanted to do the great loop you may find that the environment and/or the duration does not fit well by adding batteries and/or doing without.
Choosing your needs careful first is always the best route when deciding on boating needs/wants.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:57 AM   #29
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
CPAP will run off a small 300 watt pure sine wave inverter, less then 150 bucks.
SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 12:20 PM   #30
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
Egad. Keurig determining what genset needs are!
While I like the reduced time between "I would like a cup" and "ready", surely making coffee the old way, by putting a pot on the stove is still a great backup. Propane stove, that is.
LOL....Yeah. I'll forgo all the complexity of running an electric Coffee maker. Remember Percolators? They do a great job with little energy draw when I heat with my Alchohol/Electric Origo...
I've had one for 20 years for use on the boats. Once you get the technique and timing down, the coffee is as good as anything else..
Old 02-22-2016, 01:59 PM   #31
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Fill View Post
It only takes 1 hour to heat the hot water...... Anyway does not take long to heat the hot water.
You're killing me PF!!!!...
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 04:55 PM   #32
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Quote:
"Another AC draw for us will be a CPAP machine for my wife. She just started to use one a couple months ago and it makes a huge difference for her. Currently, we can't use it on our boat without shore power. "

We cruise often with two different folks that use the CPAP machines. They have them configured with stand alone batteries that are good for about 25 hours a piece. They always have two batteries available and never rely on shore power even if we are at docks. Recharge times seem to be about 3 hours per battery so they can do that while underway or with a genset running - this is what they use when camping and one when they went on a cruise.
My RemStar Pro CPAP works very well on 12volt. Why run an inverter all night.
Old 02-22-2016, 05:00 PM   #33
Guru

"My RemStar Pro CPAP works very well on 12volt. Why run an inverter all night."

No inverter - a battery.
Old 02-22-2016, 08:38 PM   #34
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
We are very much off the genset when cruising. But it is a managed part of our longer trips when we're not at a dock somewhere.

There is a general rule of thumb that running a genset above 40 to 50% load is healthy for the generator (armature and windings) end and likewise keeps the constant RPM diesel properly heated. Our 12.5KW unit has a max capacity of 50 amps per leg at 110 V or 50 total at 240 volts.

It's more like 70 %.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 08:47 PM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Pelican View Post
My RemStar Pro CPAP works very well on 12volt. Why run an inverter all night.
Hard to believe how far this thread has drifted from the OPs water heater, lol. Most of it my fault.

I did notice that my wife's CPAP is a 12v DC device and uses a transformer(?) to convert it from the 110v household AC. Maybe a way simply go direct from the 12v DC house bank to the CPAP? I should check.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 02-22-2016, 08:55 PM   #36
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Thread drift, these work well, makes 4-6 cups + steamed milk.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	69
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	49192  
Old 02-22-2016, 09:32 PM   #37
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
CPAP on a boat

Quote:

What model CPAP does she use? Depending on whether she uses a humidifier, she may be able to get a car cig adapter to power the unit off DC and run it more efficiently than through an inverter.

I know that mine splits in half, leaving just the CPAP not the humidifier unit and you hook the air line direct. The CPAP actually runs off 12vdc. so no conversion necessary.

I use a resmed S9 elite unit and here is the adaptor for 12vdc for $100 and can drive both the humidifier and the pump unit off DC battery - includes a pair of alligator clips too.

http://www.easybreathe.com/-p3669.ht...bmQRoCUi3w_wcB
stubones99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 10:04 PM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubones99 View Post
What model CPAP does she use? Depending on whether she uses a humidifier, she may be able to get a car cig adapter to power the unit off DC and run it more efficiently than through an inverter.

I know that mine splits in half, leaving just the CPAP not the humidifier unit and you hook the air line direct. The CPAP actually runs off 12vdc. so no conversion necessary.

I use a resmed S9 elite unit and here is the adaptor for 12vdc for $100 and can drive both the humidifier and the pump unit off DC battery - includes a pair of alligator clips too.
I can't recall her CPAP model name but it is similar in that the humidifier splits off the CPAP so the CPAP can be used without it. She has found that the humidifier is a lot more comfortable however. That link said that the adaptor would would run both the CPAP and humidifier though so that is something I should check out.

Thanks!

Dave
SPOT page
Old 02-23-2016, 09:31 AM   #39
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, fl
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37 2002
So keeping the domestic hot water heater plumbed to the main engine is probably OK?
Pgitug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:54 AM   #40
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Yes.....

But pick out the few tips mentioned throughout and you can feel better about it if it still strikes that nerve.

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote