Hoses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Make
Ocean Alexander 38'
I am replacing the fresh and salt side hoses on my genset. I have found various hose at the local marine store that will work, but are manufactured for cooling systems on inboard/outboard heat exchanger. Maybe a dumb question, but is there any significant difference for hoses for a gas engine versus diesel?

BTW, shout out to Lenco who manufactured the exchanger on my Onan. It is 34 years old and they still make the same unit, and parts. Great customer service.

Last edited:
"Maybe a dumb question, but is there any significant difference for hoses for a gas engine versus diesel?"

For cooling water no, but turbos can require special hose and clamps to handle the hot air.

The hose from the seacock to the raw water pump should be stiff enough or with inbeded wire, so they don't collapse under vaccum. The hoses after the pump to the exhaust elbow, should be heat rated. Low cooling water flow from a failing impeller or partially blocked heat exchanger, can raise the temperature at the wet exhaust elbow. As your generator is quite old, it may not have a high exhaust gas temperature shut down sensor.

Ted

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom